Would an LTD EC-1000 Play as well and an ESP Eclipse?

Chrisjd

• Members

I have been wanting one of these guitars for some time now. I could go ahead and get a new EC-1000 for $800.00, or I could pay $200.00 more and get a used ESP Eclipse. they have the same materials for the most part. Only difference that I can see is that the ESP is made in Japan and the LTD is made in Korea.

Would I notice a difference in tone and playability you think? why spend more for the ESP?

• Members

So a n00b reading this would come out thinking that either.......

The name ESP is a sham that shares the same quality wood with the Korean stuff or.........................hense the wood is not the best they could get for their high end guitars........or......

There is no way in hell that anyone should dump the extra $$$$ at ESP because you are getting the same guitar by buying an LTD.

• Members

I have seen/played both!

the LTD does NOT have the quality of the ESP! on some EC1000 you can see finish problems sometimes bad frets. plus the ESP "must have" a lot better woods!

I've played both myself. I won't deny that ESP is probably generally the better quality guitar, but it is not IMO worth the extra $600 or whatever it is.

The ESP has a thinner finish.

• Members

The name ESP is a sham that shares the same quality wood with the Korean stuff or.........................hense the wood is not the best they could get for their high end guitars........or......

There is no way in hell that anyone should dump the extra $$$$ at ESP because you are getting the same guitar by buying an LTD.

BTW the action is in the hands of the setup guy, I could see an LTD playing as good or better with the right guy tweaking it.

• Members

BTW the action is in the hands of the setup guy, I could see an LTD playing as good or better with the right guy tweaking it.

truth

if youre going to look at how a guitar plays, worry about the neck and fretwork, (not the action/pickup height etc) if those feel good, then there's no problem. I think perfect finishes are way overrated too. There's something to be said about having a $1k beater guitar and not have to worry about scratches etc...no one in the crowd will notice. When you hit the 2k+ range..yeah you want to keep them pristine (but i wouldnt want to gig/tour with a few 2-3k guitars...they wouldnt make it out alive haha)

• Members

I'm a big fan of ltd and esp, I've owned and played both, if the ltd is 800 and a used esp is 1000 I would play them both and see what sounds, plays and feels the best.

From my personal experiances the ltd stuff was a great value but I always found things I didn't like as much as the esp, most of the time the esp fretwork is better, the selection of woods are more tonefull, the binding and paintwork was better, and they just felt better to me, most of the time the esp will have a thicker and clearer tone and a more solid feel. I've compared the ltd stuff with the esp many many times and the esp came out on top. So for a xtra 200 bucks I could justifiy having a esp if it was me. That just my thoughts and I'm sure somebody will disagree with some of that but that's my honest opinion.

• Members

I'm a big fan of ltd and esp, I've owned and played both, if the ltd is 800 and a used esp is 1000 I would play them both and see what sounds, plays and feels the best.

From my personal experiances the ltd stuff was a great value but I always found things I didn't like as much as the esp, most of the time the esp fretwork is better, the selection of woods are more tonefull, the binding and paintwork was better, and they just felt better to me, most of the time the esp will have a thicker and clearer tone and a more solid feel. I've compared the ltd stuff with the esp many many times and the esp came out on top. So for a xtra 200 bucks I could justifiy having a esp if it was me. That just my thoughts and I'm sure somebody will disagree with some of that but that's my honest opinion.

very helpful, thanks.

• Members

I thinks its obvious.

The question reads to me like this, "Should I spend 800 dollars on something that will be worth 500 dollars when I get it, or should I spend 1000 dollars on something that will be worth 1000 dollars (or more) if I ever get rid of it."

Even if they are the same quality, buy used. I could understand if you were wondering should I buy a used LTD for 500 or a used ESP for 1000, but otherwise it's open and shut.

• Members

I've played them both

and they were not alike at all.

LTD 24 frets, flatter radius fingerboard, thin neck

ESP 22 frets, round gibson sg radius fingerboard, meatier lespaulish neck width.

the LTD 24 frets on the short scale lenght feels really good. frets feel close toghether. just awesome what an sg should have been.

ESP - thicker body = heavier , with EMG's= chunk heaven

LTD - thin body = very comfortable but does lose some low end.

these guitars could not be more different if they tried.

get a used ltd 1000

then save back up for a better esp model like the maple m2, or the horizon

• Members

so far everyone here said they're close, which i think is pretty accurate...when you look at the ec1k going for around $800 new, and the eclipse II going for around $1400 new you're paying nearly double for the esp...i don't think it's twice the guitar the ltd couterpart is

• Members

How about the Edwards guitar? That could be another option for you to think about. Seems like the price is about the same as the LTD EC-1000 and although I've never played one, most people say they are top notch guitars for the money. Only downside is having to order from Japan and not being able to actually see or play one before purchasing.

• Members

Both are good but the ESP is by far better overall. Better wood, better tone, better overall craftsmanship. It will also hold it's value much better.

The Ltd.s aren't bad guitars but everyone I have owned has felt somewhat cheap and toyish feeling. The ESPs have more weight, seem to be more balanced and have more chunk and tone.

If you buy a used ESP the cost over a new Ltd. will be well worth it IMO.

• Members

exactly what I meant!

Archived