how to add a Bass Bin to your sound rigg ?

mark7171

• Members

+1 Who the {censored} runs a subwoofer for guitar? Thats for FOH, and guess what? Your guitar signal is not in those subs
:)

My mix on Saturday night was GREAT, all due to the guitar being mixed with TONS of 80 hz in it. It was all "thump thump thump" - teh br3wtalz defined.

:p

• Members

If this is a legit question, Rivera and ISP make guitar subs. I've heard they actually add some clarity to really low tunings, 'cause they give the uber-lows their own dedicated speaker. IIRC, you connect the head to the sub first, then from the crossover out into the normal guitar cab. But I could be wrong.

• Members

If this is a legit question, Rivera and ISP make guitar subs. I've heard they actually add some clarity to really low tunings, 'cause they give the uber-lows their own dedicated speaker. IIRC, you connect the head to the sub first, then from the crossover out into the normal guitar cab. But I could be wrong.

My only problem with that comes when you go to run that clear sounding rig through a PA. Okay - slap a mic in front of the cab that has now been dialed in to provide clarity, and it ends up a bright mess with no depth.

• Members

My only problem with that comes when you go to run that clear sounding rig through a PA. Okay - slap a mic in front of the cab that has now been dialed in to provide clarity, and it ends up a bright mess with no depth.

Right, and NO reputable sound engineer, excluding idiots, will put a mic in front of a sub for a guitar. They know all they will get is a bunch of garbage that will do nothing but muddy up the mix. Duh.

• Members

I never said it would mic up well. :D

Honestly, I would imagine it wouldn't. I suppose it could work to the FOH engineer's advantage- just mic the normal guitar cab and leave all the lows onstage and hopefully have a useable guitar tone instead of a mass of sludge... But, and I might be stereotyping a little bit here, I wouldn't rely on anyone who thinks they need to run a sub for their guitars to dial in a tone that would have any salvageable content running through the normal guitar speakers. I'd expect a complete and utter lack of mids, and way too much gain, but that's just me.

• Members

I never said it would mic up well.
:D

Honestly, I would imagine it wouldn't. I suppose it could work to the FOH engineer's advantage- just mic the normal guitar cab and leave all the lows onstage and hopefully have a useable guitar tone instead of a mass of sludge... But, and I might be stereotyping a little bit here, I wouldn't rely on anyone who thinks they need to run a sub for their guitars to dial in a tone that would have any salvageable content running through the normal guitar speakers. I'd expect a complete and utter lack of mids, and way too much gain, but that's just me.

Very good point. I've run some pretty heavy bands, and had some great tones come from guys tuned to C, and none of them used a sub. They left the low end up to the bassist.

• Members

Very good point. I've run some pretty heavy bands, and had some great tones come from guys tuned to C, and none of them used a sub. They left the low end up to the bassist.

Noone herer ever mentions that a bass player tuned down to C can muddy up a mix faster than just about anything. :lol:

• Members

I've been in some pretty heavy bands, and I've thought I've had some great tones. :D And I always made a point of leaving the low end up to the bassist. I never liked that woofy, boomy palm mute sound that so many people seem to think is the epitome of heavy. I can't recall ever having run my bass above noon on anything but some very bright Marshalls.

My thought process was always something along the lines of "I'm playing a mahogany-bodied guitar and I'm tuned to C#/B/A. I have enough low end already." I've played with guys who did the massive bass thing. When they were playing, I couldn't hear them or the bass player. The drums swallowed up everything but the highs, and you're not going to get any definition out of those lows on a guitar. When I was playing, you could hear me and the bass player. :p

• Members

One of the bands that I've run that has a 5 string bass has the BEST tone I've ever heard. Mesa 400 bass amp =
:love:

Some of the best bass tone I've heard has been from guys with high end 5s. I worked with a session player once who used a Spector 5 string that sounded phenominal. Great punch and clarity. And the bassist from the band I was in prior to that ran a Conklin 5 with Bartolinis into an SVT-3 pro and various Ampeg cabs. He was the first bassist I played with that was serious about tone and gear, and it was like a revalation- his bass sounded like a giant (mostly) clean guitar.

Of course, I've heard the cheap Ibanez with stock pickups "tone" more than a few times, too. :lol:

• Members

i say the resverse is true. the guitar can go in some low parallel frequencies. the bass should stay out of the guitar pocket.

the only thing we mic is the voice.

our amps power the gig. once our compression/limiting is set we dont really need further sound engineering. never could figure out the need for more cooks in the kitchen. a bunch a crappy babies trying to ruin your good time with a hand out.

• Members

the bass has a unique pocket to my ear. its not a melodically strong instrument. to me it is better for backing a band, and almost a nessecity to complete the range without a keyboard. however, standing on its own, as a precusion instrument, it can be rythmically impressive. its fondation isnt bent on carring a vocal tune rather supporting one.

Archived