Splawn Nitro Vids!

joshsage

• Members

Was he running that Nitro through his X cabs or the new Big Blocks?

at one point when I was up there wanking away he was putting me through different cabs...the big blocks, small blocks, 20 watt greenie reissues then the big block, small block x-pattern...I was really trying to get off the stage so someone else could play but that didn't happen....I was playing like {censored}...so I wanted to run and hide...LOL..

but when he put the nitro through the x pattern..holy {censored}...it sounded like a wall of guitars....I told him that it sounded sick....I don't think I could get away with that in my current band..lol...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I thought the vids were great! It wasn't a NAMM convention, just video of Scott having some guys over.

No other builder/company would have had a bunch of forumites over to check out a new amp like Scott did. I thought it was very cool!

I owned a Competition and the Nitro sounded like it had more low end and gain than my amp had. Almost sounds like a Splawn with a boost pedal built in. Great tone in my opinion. Probably sounds even more kickass with a Les Paul!
:thu:

actually since you mentioned it, later on a couple dudes showed up playing les pauls through the nitro....at one point two guys who're in a band together were playing through the nitro and the QR....it was pretty crushing

• Members

And my basic points were raised not for the sake of complaining after all Scott and his staff did to hold the conference, but to rather point out that after all that effort and kindness, it would have only taken a tiny amount of additional effort to add 1000% more value to the show by simply having ran (and filmed) some proper comparison tests. Which would have greatly benefitted not only those who went TO the conference, but also many potential customers who could not attend (or were unaware of the event).

And I'm sure Scott and his crew are great people, but make no mistake about this one fact: Splawn is a business and I can assure you this event was not held primarily out of the kindness of their hearts, regardless of how the idea for the event may have originated.

Sonic

actually the conference wasn't even scott's idea...it was one of the mods over on the splawn forum..came up with the idea, pitched it to scott and it just fell into place...

there will be clips once these things start to get into people's hands...

I was doing some chugga chugga up there but the vids haven't made it onto teh intarwebz yet..

• Members

TJ likes the band Extreme. Thanks for the vids though!

alot of the stuff he was doing didn't get up online yet..he was up there for a long while...he was going from Eric Johnson to Nuno, to Yngwie to Chet Atkins chicken pickin' {censored}...dude's scary good

• Members

its funny with the people not liking the tone or comparing their tone to the quickrod in this movie.

if you were there you would have seen that TJ was playing with almost zero gain and was one of the cleanest players i have seen.

now if you want to hear what a quickrod sounds like with some gain or different gears then you will have to buy one.

• Members

Nice try.

go read my only reply to the vids.

anything else Mr Sunshine?

I don't recall that I was talking to you? No, nothing more to add. I see I have wandered into some warped metal version of Deliverance, and I ain't no relation. I'll just go back to playing guitar and not talking about it. I got a little heated, I apologized, but I suppose you need to have the last word, so please, have it. Here's a blank just for you to fill in:

• Members
at one point when I was up there wanking away he was putting me through different cabs...the big blocks, small blocks, 20 watt greenie reissues then the big block, small block x-pattern...I was really trying to get off the stage so someone else could play but that didn't happen....I was playing like {censored}...so I wanted to run and hide...LOL..

but when he put the nitro through the x pattern..holy {censored}...it sounded like a wall of guitars....I told him that it sounded sick....I don't think I could get away with that in my current band..lol...

What did you think of the Smallblocks vs. Celestion Greens and the Big Blocks vs. the Celestion H30s? I've been super interested in them, but I can't find any pricing, other clips, etc.

I :love: the Nitro tones, though. Sounds like my cup of tea. :rawk:

• Members
i kinda have to disagree

i see where it can come off like that when you're watching the video...but if you're the one playing the amp, doing lead stuff can often give you the best idea of how the amp responds/feels when you're playing it; single note stuff makes you really dig in and get the most out of the amp, where as playing rhythm kinda just lets the amp do it's own thing more

personally when i try out an amp i'm about 50/50 between the two, but i can certainly understand why some people would wanna play lead more when trying something out...if a great expressive lead tone is important to you then you're obviously gonna gravitate more toward that, and vice versa if you're more into a heavy rhythm tone

I agree but when we're talking about clips, hearing the lead tone does nothing for me. I can get a fairly convincing lead tone with a Amplitube LE. :D

Rhythm riffs are the true test IMO. Its much easier to hear where the mid emphasis is and... I think you hear more of the actual tone.

That said I didnt mind the wanking. It was hilarious and both of those guys had a smile on their face. I found it entertaining.

• Members

The main issue I'm hearing with these vids is two different guitars as well as potentially different gain/drive setting on the two different amps.

I THINK what I'm hearing is TJ's actual guitar that is plugged into the Quickrod is noticably more thin sounding by nature compared to the other one plugged into the Nitro. But that does not necessarily mean the Quickrod is a thinner sounding amp.

It's just really hard to tell because of the variables involved. There needs to be ONE player with ONE guitar swapping between the two amps while using the same type of cab. And playing both rythm and solo work. THAT is the only way you will get any kind of actual A/B comparision baseline test to distinguish just what's going on between the Quickrod and the new Nitro.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish that rather than taking all the time and effort to put on a "convention" that instead Scott and TJ would invest an hour to film and record the type of test described above. As well as comparing the new big/small block x-pattern cab with the more traditional gov/man-o speaker cab. This is the kind of thing that is needed in order for customers to understand what the real differences are rather than people driving from all over the place to the shop or trying to base purchase decisions on subjective descriptions on the forums.

Just my 2 cents.

Sonic

This guy makes some great points. especially the bold part.

• Members
What did you think of the Smallblocks vs. Celestion Greens and the Big Blocks vs. the Celestion H30s? I've been super interested in them, but I can't find any pricing, other clips, etc.

I
:love:
the Nitro tones, though. Sounds like my cup of tea.
:rawk:

I wish someone got some vids of me goin' through the different cabs..I'm not sure if anyone did though...

anywho, the smallblocks seemed to cut best and were a bit brighter, BUT, they were in a traditionally angled cab..hard to make a direct comparison when the rest of the cabs were straight..I really dug the greenies (shocking..lol)....

for out and out brewtalz though, the x pattern was the {censored}...like swatting a fly with a bazooka...really powerful..but never muddy...

now that I think of it, I was playing some megadeth riffs up there..hopefully someone got that on video

• Members
I agree but when we're talking about clips, hearing the lead tone does nothing for me. I can get a fairly convincing lead tone with a Amplitube LE.
:D

Rhythm riffs are the true test IMO. Its much easier to hear where the mid emphasis is and... I think you hear more of the actual tone.

That said I didnt mind the wanking. It was hilarious and both of those guys had a smile on their face. I found it entertaining.

hilarious? :confused:

anywho, the QR didn't sound thin at all when we were there...probably had alot to do with where the camcorder was and the nature of it being a camcorder mic taking the audio..that's actually my warmoth frankenstrat with a duncan distortion on it and it's pretty thick sounding..

• Members

I wish someone got some vids of me goin' through the different cabs..I'm not sure if anyone did though...

anywho, the smallblocks seemed to cut best and were a bit brighter, BUT, they were in a traditionally angled cab..hard to make a direct comparison when the rest of the cabs were straight..I really dug the greenies (shocking..lol)....

for out and out brewtalz though, the x pattern was the {censored}...like swatting a fly with a bazooka...really powerful..but never muddy...

now that I think of it, I was playing some megadeth riffs up there..hopefully someone got that on video

Now, was that the Big/Small block X pattern, or his traditional X?

• Members
I agree but when we're talking about clips, hearing the lead tone does nothing for me. I can get a fairly convincing lead tone with a Amplitube LE.

definitely

ideally i like to hear an amp's rhythm and lead tones in a clip or video, and the rhythm tone tells me more as well...but if i were the guy playing the amp when someone just happened to have a video camera around, i'd be noodling on whatever i felt like and not really thinking about that...when an amp has a nice feel to it, it makes me wanna play more leads; that says something good about that amp :thu:

• Members
actually since you mentioned it, later on a couple dudes showed up playing les pauls through the nitro....at one point two guys who're in a band together were playing through the nitro and the QR....it was pretty crushing

I was one of those guys...:D For all the wanking complaints, I don't think I played any lead licks at all save for a few. My entire time on the Nitro was nothing but heavy rhythm playing, especially since everyone else had soloed enough for me to get an idea of it. Jammed out on various riffs like Battery and Master of Puppets (Metallica), Raining Blood (Slayer), some basic galloping and ad-libbed 80's style metal riffs. I'll try to answer whatever questions anyone has about heavy playing on it from my experiences at least.

• Members

i actually like the QR better in the vids, but i'd need to hear them both with my live ears

shred, does the nitro make lead playing more "effortless?" i.e. will it make up for my {censored}ty playing and short hair?

nothing can make up for your short hair....beleive me, I have a crew cut so I speak from experience..=D

it can be made eaiser to play...for refernece, most of those vids were done with the amp on OD1 with the gain at noon...so that's only really a quarter of the gain on tap...

BUT it's still clear sounding..no mush....tight and percussive as are all his amps

• Members
I was one of those guys...
For all the wanking complaints, I don't think I played any lead licks at all save for a few. My entire time on the Nitro was nothing but heavy rhythm playing, especially since everyone else had soloed enough for me to get an idea of it. Jammed out on various riffs like Battery and Master of Puppets (Metallica), Raining Blood (Slayer), some basic galloping and ad-libbed 80's style metal riffs. I'll try to answer whatever questions anyone has about heavy playing on it from my experiences at least.

redneckgeetarist? that you? when you and silverwulf were playing Slayer it sounded like there were FOUR {censored}in' guitar players....and that was outside, 150 feet away from the stage..lol...

I think all the camcorders were put away at that point

Archived