minneapolis/st paul amp fest...

Steveanders86

• Members
Everything....?
:eek:

That's a lot of gear.

I'm bringing my AC30, Mark III, 18W TMB (if there are requests, I can bring the Marwatt as well - it's got the Hiwatt preamp in it), along with my SG Classic. That'll about fill up my little VW Golf with gear.
:p

bring what you can! the more the merrier!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hey guys, how long are you going to be at the amp fest? i have practice at 10:30 tomorrow til about 2. would that be too late to come? i totally forgot about practice. but lemme know

I was planning on hanging out until 4 or so. Anyone bringing brews?

• Members

Bump:

Mini amp reviews:

Splawn Quickrod - My favorite amp of the fest. Definitely not as bright as I was expecting from the reviews, totally useful tone, and the thing sounded GREAT. Definitely Marshall-inspired tone, but with more everything. Definite :thu:

Framus Cobra - Very cool heavy amp. It seemed to have some high end harshness that I couldn't seem to get rid of, but it wasn't bad, and definitely had lots of punch. The Cobra and a VHT FB412 gets a helluva metal tone.

Peavey 5150II - I preferred this to the Cobra for a heavy tone. It really sounded mean, and had plenty of teh br0o0talz on tap. We dialed in the green channel to sound like a good modded Marshall - easily my favorite tone from a 5150II.

Laney VC30 - Really does capture the "Vox" tone. Almightycrunch and I agreed that it didn't seem to have the Vox chime, but it was definitely in the ballpark tone-wise.

Mesa Blackface Dual Rec - Only heard it for a little bit through a Recto cab, and it sounded better than any of the 3 channels I've heard. I still prefer Mark series amps over the Rectos, but these are a good example of what early Recs can do.

My amps:

Vox AC30CC - I forgot how this thing sounded at volume. My band practices at reasonable volumes (read:pretty quiet) so I don't get to wind it up as much as I did Saturday. This thing + Almightycrunch's hollow Strat was a helluva rock/blues tone. Conclusion: I need a Strat.

I'll let Chris and Almightycrunch post about their thoughts, too.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

well were hosting another one first thing '08. and hopefully, by then, ill have another amp in the arsenal.!

I just got a Vox AC30 Brian May combo. If I still have it by then I will surely bring it. I also have my old 1972 Superlead.

• Members
I just got a Vox AC30 Brian May combo. If I still have it by then I will surely bring it. I also have my old 1972 Superlead.

::DO IT:: :thu: yea i missed the last one. Cant wait. Chris has some SERIOUS gear coming soon. i think an engl SE and a krank cab and some other cab i cant remember. but im looking into a dual recto now, but we'll see. haha so hopefully between Xmas and tax returns (which should hopefully be bigger) i'll be getting myself a nice treat this year.

• Members
::DO IT::
:thu:
yea i missed the last one. Cant wait. Chris has some SERIOUS gear coming soon. i think an engl SE and a krank cab and some other cab i cant remember. but im looking into a dual recto now, but we'll see. haha so hopefully between Xmas and tax returns (which should hopefully be bigger) i'll be getting myself a nice treat this year.

I would love to play an Engl as I've never been able to before. I will definitely make it down to the next fest.

Archived