I have a beef with metal concerts

Meatbeard

• Members
I basically laugh at all these metal bands who think they are actually intimidating or evil or whatever they are trying to prove
:freak:
.... it's just not anything I would want to waste my time listening to
:rolleyes:
..... they all look pretty stupid to anyone with an education
:o

glad you think that, i love it, and at the age of 24 i probably have higher paying job and better education than you;).

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
What's sad is that they are a really good band, and super easy to work with, but they seem to have lost draw around the Twin Cities.

They covered Stranglehold by Nugent for chrissakes - they got major points just for that.
:thu:

their album "02" was pretty sweet, like a electronic rock that had a really cool mood to it. the album after I couldnt get into.

• Members
wow...some love from an > 8,000 post forum king. now I am gettin' somewhere:love:

I'm a forum king? Bad ass! :D

In all seriousness, having some "moving baffles" at a show really helps the sound - I hate nights when I feel like I'm driving a Ferrari at 30 mph, if you know what I mean. ;)

• Members
I'm a forum king? Bad ass!
:D

In all seriousness, having some "moving baffles" at a show really helps the sound - I hate nights when I feel like I'm driving a Ferrari at 30 mph, if you know what I mean.
;)

nothing makes me happier as a stage performer than to see many a moving baffle in front of me.

• Members
What's sad is that they are a really good band, and super easy to work with, but they seem to have lost draw around the Twin Cities.

They covered Stranglehold by Nugent for chrissakes - they got major points just for that.

I wondered what kind of following they had up there. They have a big draw down here, that's for sure. I really dig their Pink Floyd cover too.

• Members

I think the overall loudness problem is probably the soundguy's fault. Perhaps the issue with the clarity is the amount of gain the guitarists are dialing in. I know Opeth keeps their gain relatively low, just enough to get some chunk, but not so much to where the open chords just sound like white noise. I think with the flying V style EQ, and too much gain, you can get any amp to sound muddy.

• Members

if gigs werent so loud, id go to a lot more
I think at least half the people there, myself included, wear earplugs
which suggests to me that its just too loud
large clubs should have more small p.a. speakers spread throughout the venue, rather than 2 big stacks running 5000 watts each at the front

• Members

Back to the subject at hand, I don't think it's just metal, ANY band is going to sound like sht if they're too loud. I don't know why bands can't figure this out. I've walked out of shows down here because things where just way too loud.

Afghan Wigs, Spring/Summer of 1994 at The Abyss in Houston. That show was so damned loud that they got a writeup in the local alterna-rag saying that if they found the guy who mixed the show so painfully and unbearbly loud, they were going to kick his ass.

• Members

You ever seen/worked with Down and Above? Those guys are just rediculously talented. The best "local" band I've ever heard.

Archived