Amp used by Jamie West Oram of The Fixx?

Peekaboo Fuzzy

• Members

I have seen a few threads around here on JWO so I was wondering if there is anyone on here who knows which amp Jamie's used for all of his clean sounds. I have an idea of what effects he used but what was his primary amp? I am thinking Fender Twin but I am not 100% sure. Also did he run two tube amps in stereo? Anyone know?

• Members

Wow, are you guys sure about that? His clean sound seems to have slight limiting/clipping sound to it like natural tube compression? I know he also uses a Boss compressor and chorus. Does anyone have some pics of him on stage with the Roland? Funny, it is hard to make out the amps on stage in some of the live footage.

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm a big Jamie West-Oram fan and I've seen the Fixx in concert 3 times already. Jamie West Oram's current setup at the first 2 shows I've in Santa Cruz, CA was a JCM 800 Marshall halfstack & a Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10 combo amp. I couldn't see the pedalboard well enough, but he had a rackmounted effects device along with some pedals. He played his famous Schechter custom made Strat w/pau ferro fingerboard, Koa body, brass pickguard, EMG single coil pickups & Floyd Rose tremolo aka "Woody" (made by John Suhr of Suhr Guitars) onstage with him. He also had an Ernie Ball Axis Sport guitar as a backup. This thread has photos of the guitars & pedalboard w/ one of the amps in the background:

http://www.sightnsound.org/FixxCAMarch2005.html

http://www.sightnsound.org/FixxSantaCruz2005.html

At the last concert I've seen the Fixx in San Francisco, CA with the Alarm & the Psychedelic Furs (sold out). Jamie West Oram was using 2 Hot Rod Deville 4x10 combo amps, a custom pedalboard with the Line6 DL-4 delay, yellow MXR stereo chorus and a few other pedals. Jamie's main sound on the CDs especially the Fixx's famous songs are mainly done with an MXR Dyna Comp, MXR stereo chorus, Pro Co Rat and a Roland rackmounted delay (not sure which model). His main guitar is the custom made Schechter guitar (aka "Woody") built by John Suhr that I mentioned earlier in the thread and a PRS 13 guitar. There is a picture on the Internet of Jamie West-Oram's '80s rack rig with a pair of Marshall JCM 800s amp heads, a Pro Co Rat and rackmounted delays. I'll have to track that one down. Jamie has been secretive of his guitar rig and seems to change his setup on every tour. He also has used rented amps onstage, mainly Marshall JCM 800 halfstacks or Fender Hot Rod Devilles, hence the different amps seen at different venues.

Guitar George

• Members

I do not know what he originally used back in the day.

But I opened for The Fixx twice in the last couple years. Here's a good pic:

small-1.jpg

His effects was a Pod XT Live, along with his modded Strat.

The 2nd time (sorry...no pic), he used a couple old Fender 4x12 combos...is the a super reverb? And a big stomp box pedal board. PRS guitar.

Both times, he sounded like.....

...the guitar player for The Fixx. Once again proving that your tone is in your self.

EDIT: I see HAmer95 says Fender 4x10 Deville....and me thinks he paid more attention than I did.

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm a big Jamie West-Oram fan and I've seen the Fixx in concert

Guitar George

He signed my conncert T-shirt.

I stalked him backstage...:oh: He was getting his groove on with some Wild Irish Rose. Nice enough bloke.

Sound check warmed up with "Stand Or Fall" I yelled up "What chords?" He stopped and showed me the two chords. :oh:

• Members

Thanks again. Lots of information you guys have...thanks to pezguy, Hamer95USA, and 17 tubes. Hamer and 17, thanks for the links and pics! So the JC-120 thing is just hearsay or did he ever use those? Just curious.

For Reach The Beach in the studio, Pez, you mentioned the Marshall JCM 800 and MXR. I would imagine that the JCM must have been used for some of the dirtier leads and stuff, but what about the real shimmering chords from "Outside" and the tight rhythmic clean chording on "Saved By Zero"-that couldn't be the JCM 800. Was there mention of any other amp for the studio recording?

• Members

Hey Peekaboo Fuzzy,

I know Jamie used the JCM 800 2204 amp heads, Korg digital delay, Yamaha SPX-90, MXR stereo chorus and a Pro Co Rat distortion pedal as part of his '80s touring rig. I do suspect he has used the Roland JC-120 combo amp for his shimmering, hyper-clean tones. Andy Summers also used this amp in the studio as well as few other '80s guitarists. It was never really known what sort of amps & effects that Jamie used in the studio recordings since he rarely gave out that information in interviews and was somewhat secretive about his setup. This thread has Jamie's Guitar Player magazine interview in it:

http://www.thefixx.net/showthread.php?threadid=1202&highlight=guitar

This thread has a picture of Jamie's '80s touring rig:

http://www.thefixx.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38&highlight=sansamp

Guitar George

• Members

He is on a line 6 site praising the vetta and even shares some patches...

the Fixx were an excellent band in there heyday

EDIT - it was actually Charlie Burchhill form Simple Minds that used the vetta

the vetta is actually king at nailing those effects drenched 80's tones...

• Members

cool band. Didn't know they were still together. I bought the live CD "Real Time Stood Still" when it came out. Do they have a greatest hits compilation?

Hey B Money,

Yes, they have the greatest hits compilation. I just bought their live DVD at one of their shows earlier this year. Check out the Fixx websiste:

www.thefixx.com

Guitar George

Archived