I played the 5150 III today...

JoshuaLogan

• Members

and I can honestly say that for what I like, it's the best amp I've tried. I also found out how useful a 10 band EQ can be. I believe I'm trading a forum member my roadster for his 5153 and going to buy an MXR 10 band EQ... I love how tight the amp is without having to dick around with any boost pedals, unlike with the uberschall and the roadster. It's nice to finally find something that fits me so well. :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
and I can honestly say that for what I like, it's the best amp I've tried. I also found out how useful a 10 band EQ can be. I believe I'm trading a forum member my roadster for his 5153 and going to buy an MXR 10 band EQ... I love how tight the amp is without having to dick around with any boost pedals, unlike with the uberschall and the roadster. It's nice to finally find something that fits me so well.
:)

Nice Josh! You'll have to let me know how you like it and what tubes it has, etc. Clips too! :)

• Members

The amp sounds great on it's own, and using an EQ to add some more thump and grind makes it even better. I wish I had gotten an EQ pedal a long time ago. The 5150 III doesn't have as much bass as the last few amps I've had but it's really clear sounding, which I like a lot... can really hear all the notes in complex chords even with a lot of gain. I was pretty impressed with the amp. It fits my tastes and how I play so much better than the bass heavy amps like bogners and mesas. Can't wait to get one now. :love:

• Members

I was at my local store when the amp arrived for the first time. I thought people would be fighting to try or buy it.

nope, the half stack was pushed in to the corner no one even looked at it.

people bitched for 10 years that the 5150 didn't have a clean channel. So now it finally does and now theyt complain it costs to much.

• Members

I was at my local store when the amp arrived for the first time. I thought people would be fighting to try or buy it.

nope, the half stack was pushed in to the corner no one even looked at it.

people bitched for 10 years that the 5150 didn't have a clean channel. So now it finally does and now theyt complain it costs to much.

It's still not a truly clean channel. It basically does the same thing as the other 5150s did on the crunch channel without the boost on. Once you get above pretty minimal levels of gain, it will certainly break up if you whack a chord.

I think that the distortion on that channel sounds pretty good for an amp like that, and certainly better than the other 5150s, but it's still pretty odd how it's laid out, if you ask me.

But regardless, the bottom line is that no one is going to be fighting over a $3,300 half stack.

• Members

It's still not a truly clean channel. It basically does the same thing as the other 5150s did on the crunch channel without the boost on. Once you get above pretty minimal levels of gain, it will certainly break up if you whack a chord.

I think that the distortion on that channel sounds pretty good for an amp like that, and certainly better than the other 5150s, but it's still pretty odd how it's laid out, if you ask me.

But regardless, the bottom line is that no one is going to be fighting over a $3,300 half stack.

Dude, you haven't even played the amp, have you? The clean channel IS clean. It has a LOT of volume. You can have it set to break up if you want to, or you can have it clean if you want to. A LOT of amps are like this. I knew before even opening the thread that your post was going to be something negative. Seriously, do not talk about things you don't know about because you just spread misinformation, which can be confusing for people who might be interested in the amp.

• Members

I've played it plenty of times.

I just happen to think it makes no sense that it's three channels, but instead of adding a true clean channel, and giving it an actual "crunch" and high gain channels, it has the "crunch" and cleans combined together, and then pretty much two high gain channels.

So gee, I'm so sorry I don't think your fancy flavor of the month amp that you will probably end up selling, just like everything else, isn't 110% perfect. Have fun parading around with your panties in a bunch. :rolleyes:

Lol the best part is that I even said it sounds good. I don't know where the hell the misinformation and negative parts came from. I guess it was just because I forgot to gush about how no amp could possibly be better?

• Members
I've played it plenty of times.

I just happen to think it makes no sense that it's three channels, but instead of adding a true clean channel, and giving it an actual "crunch" and high gain channels, it has the "crunch" and cleans combined together, and then pretty much two high gain channels.

So gee, I'm so sorry I don't think your fancy flavor of the month amp that you will probably end up selling, just like everything else, isn't 110% perfect. Have fun parading around with your panties in a bunch.
:rolleyes:

Or not... because you're saying the clean channel isn't a clean channel when it obviously is. I couldn't give a {censored} less if you like what I like or not, but you spreading around false information is just annoying. A bunch of kids do that {censored} here. They read stuff and gather opinions on things they know nothing about and amps they've never even seen in person and make comments like yours. I am really picky about my amps having a good clean channel, because I am into some music that is played strictly clean, and the cleans on the 5150 III are very nice. It doesn't take a genius to keep the gain knob low and turn up the volume (which there is plenty of)....

• Members

I still remember it breaking up if I hit chords hard, unless you put the gain really low. Give it a try and get back to us, Mr. limp wrist.

Plenty of clean channels on amps may do that, but I still don't get the layout of the channels.

That's cool. While you "don't get" something that is far from complicated, I'll be enjoying playing it. :)

Archived