I went to yet another metal show last night and...

Boris the Blade

• Members

Pretty much every band was using 5150's. They sounded pretty good. I didn't hear the infamous can of bees sound from any of the 5150's. :poke: I thought solo's on those 5150's sound like poop though.

With that said, my friends band played last night. The guitarist was using a GH100L and was using a rocktron chameleon as a preamp.

I really wanted to cry. worst tone I have ever heard in my life. the tone reminded me of my noobery days. gain dimed on a 15w fender frontman with an ibanez distortion pedal up front.

TREBLE OVERLOAD. Not only that, the guitarist was drowned out by the drummer. you literally could not hear the guitarist when my friend (drummer) began playing. when he stopped, it was crazy ear piercing feedback from the guitarist.

:crying:

• Members

I tell ya, while I'm as much an amp junkie as everyone else, there really is no beating the 5150/6505. If you spend some time with it to dial things in and/or use an EQ in the loop you can get pretty much any tone and match most other amps out there. Yes, certain amps have specific voicings, but you can get close particularly if you experiment with tubes, etc...

• Members
I tell ya, while I'm as much an amp junkie as everyone else, there really is no beating the 5150/6505. If you spend some time with it to dial things in and/or use an EQ in the loop you can get pretty much any tone and match most other amps out there. Yes, certain amps have specific voicings, but you can get close particularly if you experiment with tubes, etc...

I disagree.

• Members
I tell ya, while I'm as much an amp junkie as everyone else,
there really is no beating the 5150/6505
. If you spend some time with it to dial things in and/or use an EQ in the loop you can get pretty much any tone and match most other amps out there. Yes, certain amps have specific voicings, but you can get close particularly if you experiment with tubes, etc...

:freak::freak:

How about the SL:o

• Members
I saw Misery Signals play with a 6505 and a dual rec I believe. Both sounded a little less than meh. Both were set up with a mid scoop
:freak:

My old band mate used to run a 6505+ with my Dual Rectifier. It was simply massive. We're fans of mids though. :lol:
I used to be a Peavey hater, but Rectos and 5150/6505s go together like peanut butter and jelly.

• Members

lol

• Members
at small crappy shows everyone has {censored}ty Crate halfstacks.

I'd be the only one with a 5150 around here
:)

Same here dude.

When I go to a metal show with signed bands I'll admittedly get like "oh great another 5150 :rolleyes:" but when I play one locally my tune changes to "sweet Christ let us get on stage so these people can hear what good guitar tone sounds like."

Archived