Morley Bad Horsie Wah . Any Good ?

lenster

• Members

Sorry for posting this here , but i always get a better response in thae amp forum.

Anyway Lookin to purchase a wah. I've never been a big wah player but thought i would give it a go. I have the opportunity to buy one on ebay, and don't mind the idea of instant activation from pedal movement as opposed to switching on / off like a crybaby.

Any tone loss / colouration when not engaged.

• Members

Definatly some tone suckage with that pedal.

Best "deal" is a ibby weeping demon. It's not my favorite wah, but it's right up there and it's under $100 bucks. You can set it to be switchless or use the switch on the side to engage it.

-W

Yeah i thought of that one. The morley i can get for $169 AUD

I can get a new WD7 for $200 or a modded crybaby with

"True bypass DPDT switch

"Q"mod to give the wah a more vocal sound

Volume mod the eliminate the volume drop when pedal is engaged

Mid range mod to give the pedal more of a warm sound

Gain mod to slightly boost signal when wah engaged"

for $100

• Members

eh, I wasn't a big fan of the badhorsie. didn't seem like it had enough range in the sweep. I've been using a dunlop 535q for about 11 years now with no problems. I couldn't break it if I tried.

I've tried a mess o wahs...the 535q is by far the best sounding/features IMHO.:thu:

I wish I could find a wah with the sound and features of the 535q that uses the on/off feature of the badhorsie.:love:

• Members

I've tried a mess o wahs...the 535q is by far the best sounding/features IMHO.
:thu:

I wish I could find a wah with the sound and features of the 535q that uses the on/off feature of the badhorsie.
:love:

Silver machine!

Barring that, Silver Machine makes a proximity switch for the crybaby in the form of a metal diamondplate that replaces the rubber on the crybaby.

-W

• Members

i had the ibanez weeping demon and it sounded good and had lots of tweakable options should you not know what wah sound you want. i liked it on bass wah mode better...this pedal did suck tone thou when bypassed. shame

i wanted to get a bad horsie wah as well...but heard bout it sucking tone.

im currently looking at the BYOC wah kit. those build your own clones are addictive to build and they sound great...plus true bypass too.

the aussie distributor lives in my state too (perth)

• Members

There's definitely some tone suckage when not engaged, I run mine in bypass looper. Switchless pedal works GREAT though.

Ehrr... Switchless works great, but in a bypass looper:confused:

Anyway, i have the BHII. It's my favourite gigging wah. I also have a Dunlop 535Q which has much more tweakability and a wider sweep, but squeals like a pig on higher gain settings. As all wah's i tried did. I use it alot for recording and clean stuff at home though. I tried quite a few but the boutique ones, and always came back to the BHII, it doesn't squeal and the switchless is great. It really doesn't suck tone. It colors it a bit, nothing you can't compensate with your EQ. EH Big muffs and Digitech whammy's really SUCK tone. There's really no comparison. And having a buffered pedal first in your chain really is a good thing.

• Members

I have a George Lynch Weeping Demon wah and there's no tone suckage there, but I run an EQ after my dirt section so I can do whatever I want to the sound.

The dangers of tone suckage are highly overstated with most buffered gear, I find.

• Members

I think morley is much better than dunlop in terms of bypass. Dunlop wahs have terrible bypass while morleys have a very good buffer. I have a pro series II wah and a Dragon wah and they are both great. No tone sucking at all. I had the bad horsie also and its a great wah, didnt have any problems with the bypass. They are reliable, will last forever, more so than dunlop, which get scratchy and the switches break very easily.

I do like cry babies for certain things, int he end, it all boils down what you you think sounds best. Morleys have a better wah tone for high gain, yet don't do very well on clean clean settings, dunlop is better for this. So it depends on taste and style.

• Members

I think morley is much better than dunlop in terms of bypass. Dunlop wahs have terrible bypass while morleys have a very good buffer. I have a pro series II wah and a Dragon wah and they are both great. No tone sucking at all. I had the bad horsie also and its a great wah, didnt have any problems with the bypass. They are reliable, will last forever, more so than dunlop, which get scratchy and the switches break very easily.

I do like cry babies for certain things, int he end, it all boils down what you you think sounds best. Morleys have a better wah tone for high gain, yet don't do very well on clean clean settings, dunlop is better for this. So it depends on taste and style.

The Dragon Wah has a good wah tone for cleans, but you have to turn the loudness control down low (it seems that the loudness control actually controls the amount of distortion in the wah's treble sweep, more of a "gain" than a "level" control - and hence also what makes it cut through so well for high gain sounds).

Archived