School me on EMGs...

MattACaster

• Members

My V needs to get rewired pretty bad and I was thinking about dropping some new pickups into it while it was in the shop. Originally I was going to go with a Duncan JB/Jazz set but then I started thinking about an EMG 81/60 set instead.

So I'm curious what everyones thinks about the 81/60 set or EMGs in general?

I understand you need new pots and stuff like that too. Do those comes with the pickups or do I need to grab those too?

How does the 18volt mod sound compared to the stock 9v? Is it worth it?

:wave:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In general, EMGs tend to be a love 'em or hate 'em kind of deal. Some people think they sound sterile and some think they give the perfect crunch.

I have an 81 in one of my guitars and I like it, it's a good sounding pickup. Not a lot of versatility but it's full on metal while being pretty balanced. I'd love to try a 60 in the neck of a guitar some day, supposed to be awesome for cleans.

The pots come with the pickups as does a wiring diagram and whatnot. Just make sure you have room for the battery.

• Members

I have a LPC with the JB/Jazz combo - sounds like a god!

I have another one with 59's in the N/B PU's - sounds like a vintage god.

I also have a 7-stringer with EMG707s, which as I understand are the 7-string version of the 81's.

My thoughts on them:

Hi-fi, even string balance, them seem very natural, they roar, not as much 'tone', plays extremely well with high gain, easy to control feedback - in short, I think they're amazing. (they also look cool)

• Members

The pots comes with them. I think EMG's sound awesome if they are in the right guitar (Mahogany body & neck + rosewood fingerboard is optimal). If they're in a very bright sounding guitar the 81 can get kinda shrill and tiring. The 60 is their best neck pickup IMO, sounds great for cleans and leads, it's very bright and clear. The 81 is {censored}ty for clean tones.

• Members

By the way, this is the V I'm talking about...

v3.jpg

I like the kitty :poke:

On to the topic, EMGs are very nice i didnt like the JB to much bad midrange. Im personally kinda getting tired of the treble spike in the 81 its starting to annoy me. If you like the tone of the JB with a better overall midrange and top end try a Dimarzio Breed they are really nice :poke: :thu:

• Members

I like the kitty :poke:

On to the topic, EMGs are very nice i didnt like the JB to much bad midrange. Im personally kinda getting tired of the treble spike in the 81 its starting to annoy me. If you like the tone of the JB with a better overall midrange and top end try a Dimarzio Breed they are really nice :poke:
:thu:

Thats Symon. He's very metal. :thu:

I'm a big fan of the JB. It seems to get along really well with my Recto and DSL. I'm 99% sure that I'll dig the JB/Jazz set. But at the same time, I was thinking about trying something new and going with the EMGs.

• Members

Yeah, you gotta rewire the whole thing. New pots, jack, etc... only thing you will keep is the switch. The pickups come with everything. You disconnect the ground from the bridge also...

The whole guitar is going to get rewired regardless of which pickups I get. The inside of that thing is a mess. Bad selector, bad input jack, exposed wires that are shorting out... :cry:

• Members

Ahh yes, yet another EMG hater....
:rolleyes:

They just don't do anything for me. Sterile... flat.... nasty. Don't like 'em. I've owned two ESP's with EMG's in them ... replaced them both with a mix of Duncan's -- JB's, 59's, Jazz.

Just better pickups.

• Members

Thats Symon. He's very metal.

I'm a big fan of the JB. It seems to get along really well with my Recto and DSL. I'm 99% sure that I'll dig the JB/Jazz set. But at the same time, I was thinking about trying something new and going with the EMGs.

if you like the Jb then i highly recommend the Dimarzio Breed. Very similar voicing but just overall better. Clearer midrange, smoother top end not so harsh nice chunky bottom end. Or if you are set on a Jb it does really well with a pole piece adjustment raising the two middle pieces about 1mm and each of the E's about .5mm and the B just slightly it come sout very nice

• Members

if you like the Jb then i highly recommend the Dimarzio Breed. Very similar voicing but just overall better. Clearer midrange, smoother top end not so harsh nice chunky bottom end. Or if you are set on a Jb it does really well with a pole piece adjustment raising the two middle pieces about 1mm and each of the E's about .5mm and the B just slightly it come sout very nice

Not to hijack, but I've been curious about this pickup, how does it compare to EMG?

• Members

They just don't do anything for me. Sterile... flat.... nasty. Don't like 'em. I've owned two ESP's with EMG's in them ... replaced them both with a mix of Duncan's -- JB's, 59's, Jazz.

Just better pickups.

from a guy who plays gibson guitars and a crate amp... not very surprising...

• Members

Not to hijack, but I've been curious about this pickup, how does it compare to EMG?

The breed? :poke: If so i really like it. Nice chunky bottom end, mostly i love it because the high end isnt as harsh as the 81 is and its not quite as muddy the midrange is really clear and articulate, which is good as i love me some midrange lol. :thu: Nice and versatile to. Handles drop tunning well, does metal very nice as well as some sludgy and doomy stuff. Really nice for classic rock which i think is because the midrange is very nice. They are also very quiet and respond really well to the Volume and tone knobs.

Overall i love it, its an amazing pick up :thu:

• Members
The breed? :poke: If so i really like it. Nice chunky bottom end, mostly i love it because the high end isnt as harsh as the 81 is and its not quite as muddy the midrange is really clear and articulate, which is good as i love me some midrange lol.
Nice and versatile to. Handles drop tunning well, does metal very nice as well as some sludgy and doomy stuff. Really nice for classic rock which i think is because the midrange is very nice. They are also very quiet and respond really well to the Volume and tone knobs.

Overall i love it, its an amazing pick up

Ah okay :thu: I don't find the 81 harsh at all though, and def. not muddy. I guess it works better in my setup than in yours. I like a pickup with a lot of mids and high end, not so heavy on the bass.

• Members

My V needs to get rewired pretty bad and I was thinking about dropping some new pickups into it while it was in the shop. Originally I was going to go with a Duncan JB/Jazz set but then I started thinking about an EMG 81/60 set instead.

So I'm curious what everyones thinks about the 81/60 set or EMGs in general?

I understand you need new pots and stuff like that too. Do those comes with the pickups or do I need to grab those too?

How does the 18volt mod sound compared to the stock 9v? Is it worth it?

:wave:

Your best bet is to try and find a V like yours (specially the same wood) that has the EMGs currently in it and give it a try. Listen for yourself. There's gonna be a gaggle of forumites that are going to say they "suck" and others like myself that are going to give them the thumbs up...do some research and check them out..something tells me this thread is gonna be long......;)

• Members

^^ well whetevr works for you man more power to you. I personally liked the 81 with the my old fireball alot, though i kept the treble down and the midrange on it is very nice.

I have a 5150 currently so the 81 harsness may just be the amp which i wouldnt doubt. but i dont get it as bad in my guitar with the breeds in it. i also own a jcm 800 2204. the 81s have a harsh treble to them on that amp as well which is why i consider it the pick up.The Breeds sound amazing through it some of the best classic rock tones ever, and i can nail those Randy tones with it and a maxon 808. i just really like them if i had more cash id probably have them in all my guitars

Archived