school me on modelers...

bohemoth

• Members

do these actually sound good? I am moving into an apartment wednesday and can't have my amps, so I need something to practice with. living in the dorms at school last year basically killed my playing because i never practiced other than with my band once a week. this summer i've gotten a lot of it back, but i dont want it to happen again. I just want something I can run through headphones. Which ones are the best? best value?

• Members

Do they sound good? I'd give that a hell no. Can they sound acceptable? Yes.

+ 1 to the acceptable part, though I haven't tried the Spider Valve out in person yet. Any other modeler I've played can work fine and even sound pretty good after some tweaking, but then as soon as I've plugged back into a decent tube amp it becomes very evident again how generally halfway decent tube amps >>>>>>> modelers. At least, IMO, anyway.

But they can be really easy to record with as well as work great for practice. My V-Ampire head has xlr outs as well as other line outs that I've used to record direct, and with the cab modeling, etc., it's kind of fun but won't = boutique amp tones, etc... I've also discovered that some modeling amps like the V-Amp actually accept the tube screamer as a boost pretty well with the modeler's own gain down a bit.

• Members
so is the behringer kinda what most people get? Thats about how much i'm looking to spend, can I at least get a DECENT tone out of it?

anyone wanna sell me one?

For the $150 I spent on the head, I can't complain. Here's just a video I ran into when looking up jagmaster info w/ someone using a V-Amp Pro (almost same thing as V-Amp 2 and pretty much is the V-Ampire head but in a preamp rack form; I'm pretty sure they're using the V-Amp, anyway since another of his recent clips states he uses it). Not bad, IMO.

And there's some pretty sl:oppy $hite on my myspace page w/ the V-Amp recorded direct: www.myspace.com/rushtallica

• Members

I sold my behringer vamp pro ahile back to Lapepi...i'm just a tube snob and didn't need it anymore anyway....BUT....i much prefered the behringer vamp over the Line 6 pod stuff...just my opinion...and i liked the price much better .all you need is headphones and you'll be fine :thu:

• Members
I sold my behringer vamp pro ahile back to Lapepi...i'm just a tube snob and didn't need it anymore anyway....BUT....i much prefered the behringer vamp over the Line 6 pod stuff...just my opinion...and i liked the price much better .all you need is headphones and you'll be fine
:thu:

I agree on the modeling of the V-Amp vs. POD. I'm thinking for some specific very heavy tones the PODs are really good, though, and their fx are probably better, as well.

• Members

The Line 6 Pod xt stuff is great. I was using an HD147 head and getting excellent tone.

It's all in how you set the amp/effect unit up to sound. They can sound REALLY REALLY bad, and they can sound fantastic.

I'd get a Line 6 Pocket Pod. Those are about in your price range and are a great deal for exactly what you want.

• Members

i got a Behringer Vampire 112 for $130 off ebay. It sounds WAY better than the spider 2/ 3 .

I also just picked up a Peavey Transformer 112 (analog modeler) for $90. I havent put the new power tranny in it yet , but i hear great reviews of this amp.

Archived