Now it's time to modify the Marshall JMP 2203

Dale B.

• Members

because compared to a modded 2203, the JVM blows. i have a modded 2204 that i had a room full of people agree DESTROYED a JVM at our ampfest a couple of weeks ago.

What mods were done to the 2204 mate???? I'm quite intersted as am looking at similar options........

• Members
What mods were done to the 2204 mate???? I'm quite intersted as am looking at similar options........

it's kind of a mod, and just as much of a new amp. basically, the 2204 preamps is gone, and now it's got Voodoo's CP preamp design, designating the amp a CP-50. still has all the upsides of a 2204, but with with way more controls, more gain on tap, and a richer bottom end. i would STRONGLY recommend contacting Voodoo, telling them what you're looking for out of it, and listening to what they have to offer you. each of their prototype designs i've owned was the best amp i had ever owned... until i bought the next one :thu:

• Members
it's kind of a mod, and just as much of a new amp. basically, the 2204 preamps is gone, and now it's got Voodoo's CP preamp design, designating the amp a CP-50. still has all the upsides of a 2204, but with with way more controls, more gain on tap, and a richer bottom end. i would STRONGLY recommend contacting Voodoo, telling them what you're looking for out of it, and listening to what they have to offer you. each of their prototype designs i've owned was the best amp i had ever owned... until i bought the next one
:thu:

So then you don't have a 2204 that destroyed a JVM.....:poke:

• Members

So then you don't have a 2204 that destroyed a JVM.....:poke:

sure i do. since the topic of the whole thread was mods on a 2203, and someone said eff that, just buy a JVM, i felt obliged to tell them that my modded 2204 blew away the JVM. i never said it was a straight 2204.

• Members
sure i do. since the topic of the whole thread was mods on a 2203, and someone said eff that, just buy a JVM, i felt obliged to tell them that my modded 2204 blew away the JVM. i never said it was a straight 2204.

OK....yeah a 2204 headshell with a Voodoo amp inside, more accurate? :p

• Members
:thu::thu::thu: Big Time for modded JMPs!!

I have a 50-watt JMP ('79 or so) that I had modded at the Amp Shop out here in LA. They put in a gain boost, an extra tube that's only activated when you go through the "hi gain" input. Through the "lo" input, it's classic JMP all the way. They also installed a resonance/speaker damping knob that really tames the woofiness. It sounds amazing and totally stomps a JVM.

So go for it, Mod away!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members
Id take a stock 2203 over every single amp mentioned in this thread.
:lol:

You know. I bought a JVM410H for it's versatility and it is a great amp. The perfect amp for my needs actually. However, I have a stock 1982 2203 that I considered modding. Then I tried to sell it instead after I got the JVM, but ultimately have kept it in stock condition and it's off the market. For the few different tones you can get out of it, they are simply the best tones ever IMO. Sooooo glad I never sold it or had it modded.

I don't use it much right now as I can get pretty accurate tones out of the crunch channel on the JVM and much more, but for those straight up rock or metal projects I get here and there, it is ready to go.

• Members

His modifications just scream in a wonderful way and they're not that expensive.

Any thoughts?

I don't know, man. $675 for a mod is really expensive in my book. I'm kind of kicking myself for not getting an amp modded by Dave back when it cost $250 or so.

• Members

I owned a Bray modded 1987x and I had to fight that thing for every note.
I listened to the clips on his website and they sounded great. I played the thing and was not happy. :cry: I say do not hack up a desireable amp to get hot rodded Marshall tones. Buy something that already does them or get a reissue and have it modded.

• Members

It's getting modified! LOL! It's not going to get the Bray treatment, though I love his stuff. It's going to Dave Friedman.
:)

If you're not going to keep it stock & use a boost or eq, then IMO this is a wise choice :thu:

• Members

My Lee Jackson modded JMP 2203 is just about to be shipped out to be put back to stock. (if i can ever make it back to the office to ship it out)

Anything more than some minor tweaks i'd be pretty hesitant to do. Especially if it's all stock now.

EDIT: I just realized this thread is teh olde

• Members

I have a Bray modded 1987x as well, im not real thrilled with its tone either. I may be either sending it to Trace for a Jose HG mod, or selling it and my other amp and buying something else, Ecstasy, Cameron Marshall, etc...

Send it to Trace. The HG Jose will make you sport wood.

Archived