Favourite Mic preamp for electric guitar?

peppe6v6

• Members

What' s your favourite mic pre?

I'v heard that the holy grail for electric guitar is the Telefunken V72 also the V76, but there are so many choices.

actualy I'm using a Sebatron VMP1000e that has a big soft coulored sound very tubey and I'm in love with it.

Tell me your favourite!

• Members
There is no holy grail. That's ludicrous. Is there a holy grail guitar amp? The one that is the best is the one that works best with ALL of the other equipment and sounds in the particular mix. Why even bother going beyond that?
:idk:

yes that's right but i was just askin what is your favourite and why?

There are suggested mic preamps for electric guitar and mic preamps for other applications, you will not use a Millennia for electric guitar.

• Members

Can I play along? :o

For mic preamps that I've used and dug on guitar, I really like the GT Vipre, and pretty much anything with the A-Designs logo on it. I haven't had a chance to toy around with the Sytek preamps, but all reports are that they are awesome for a good guitar tone. Hell - Steve Albini digs 'em. :thu:

• Members

Welll...truthfully, being broke, I've only had 2.

A Behringer Mic200

and

a Behringer T1953 Ultragain.

Truth be told, I've gotten pleasant results with both. I just spend a reasonable ammount of time w/ mic placement, and getting the levels straight and I pretty much get to tape (well, Hard Disk actually) almost what I hear in the room. For the record, I use an old Peavey PVM3000 mic, which is supposedly there version of an SM57, and its a good, solid mic. I DO plan on getting an SM57 very soon though, as I do like what I hear from those when I play out (EVERY soundmans got these)

On a side note, I've gotten excellent results so far using the T1953's Low Pass filter. Really helps get rid of some of that background rumble and tighten up the tone more when close micing. I used to have to EQ my amp fairly differently for recording to compensate for that. Just set it at logical point for guitar....between 100-200Hz is usually where you'll be depending upon your volume, and EQ preferences (I set it around 400hz for vocals). Now its pretty much minimal to almost no tweaking. Low pass filters seem to be key. FWIW, I forst heard about that from a blurb from Andy Sneaps forum

• Members
Can I play along?
:o

For mic preamps that I've used and dug on guitar, I really like the GT Vipre, and pretty much anything with the A-Designs logo on it. I haven't had a chance to toy around with the Sytek preamps, but all reports are that they are awesome for a good guitar tone. Hell - Steve Albini digs 'em.
:thu:

The GT vipre has to be awsome for guitar, all the guys that has one says great things, A-Design is also another great preamp Designer.
Other great brands that that I have tested but don't have the $$ to get are: Chandler TG2, Germanium, Summit stuff, Presonus Adl600, Fearn stuff. another great Boutique manufacturer that make incredible mic preamp is GYRAF,
check out their Gyratec IV it is a top quality tube Mic pre and comes for only about 2000$ (Dual channel).

• Members

Welll...truthfully, being broke, I've only had 2.

A Behringer Mic200

and

a Behringer T1953 Ultragain.

Truth be told, I've gotten pleasant results with both. I just spend a reasonable ammount of time w/ mic placement, and getting the levels straight and I pretty much get to tape (well, Hard Disk actually) almost what I hear in the room. For the record, I use an old Peavey PVM3000 mic, which is supposedly there version of an SM57, and its a good, solid mic. I DO plan on getting an SM57 very soon though, as I do like what I hear from those when I play out (EVERY soundmans got these)

On a side note, I've gotten excellent results so far using the T1953's Low Pass filter. Really helps get rid of some of that background rumble and tighten up the tone more when close micing. I used to have to EQ my amp fairly differently for recording to compensate for that. Just set it at logical point for guitar....between 100-200Hz is usually where you'll be depending upon your volume, and EQ preferences (I set it around 400hz for vocals). Now its pretty much minimal to almost no tweaking. Low pass filters seem to be key. FWIW, I forst heard about that from a blurb from Andy Sneaps forum

Never tried a Behringer, if you are a monster sound technician I think you can have decent resoult with it, but I really suggest something a bit more high end to make your amp shine!

• Members

decent cash vs sound quality preamp is the GT brick.

The Brick is a good compromise, but nothing to do with some high end Preamp I have tried, they make sound the Brick like a toy. It is unbelievable how a mic Pre can make a huge difference.

• Members

cool suggestions on the low pass filter, have to try that. What about mic preamps with tubes, does it actually make a difference?

They make a huge difference if they are really tube design, and they don't have a tube only for fashion.

• Members

ic, thanks guys, that makes sense, same as the tube pedals. Could you suggest a couple that actually use the tube with required voltage?

That is not exactly like tube pedals, However a great true tube mic pre that has a very affordable price is the Sebatron Vmp1000e only 799$, I love mine.

• Members
That is not exactly like tube pedals, However a great true tube mic pre that has a very affordable price is the Sebatron Vmp1000e only 799$, I love mine.

haha, wow, I bet that is some pre. I don't know if my rig or playing could justify such an "affordable" pre however. I'm sure it's complete badassery though, thanks for the tip. In a couple years, I plan on trying to setup a small home studio, so that should come in handy to know. :thu:

• Members

Never tried a Behringer, if you are a monster sound technician I think you can have decent resoult with it, but I really suggest something a bit more high end to make your amp shine!

your probably right, but I really dont have the cash. Besides...near as I can tell, Behringer mostly seems to cut costs in the sturdyness of parts. So...I wouldnt trust it on the road, or loading in and out of my pick-up twice a week for gigs...but for just sitting in my home-studio, probably be fine.

But again, I've really never had the money to experiment with anything better so I may not really know

• Members

I love the A Designs Pacifica, and I hear great things about the Chandler stuff. A Designs also makes some 500 series modules that sound great. For the Neve sound, I like the Vintech and Great River pres.

If you record guitar, you owe it to yourself to look at www.cascademicrophones.com I've been using a Fathead II with a Heil PR30 and I love the sound.

• Members
I love the A Designs Pacifica, and I hear great things about the Chandler stuff. A Designs also makes some 500 series modules that sound great. For the Neve sound, I like the Vintech and Great River pres.

If you record guitar, you owe it to yourself to look at
www.cascademicrophones.com
I've been using a Fathead II with a Heil PR30 and I love the sound.

Teebes - is that ribbon mic that good? For $199, I may have to try and fund one of those guys. :eek:

Archived