So, I played my friend's SG and I was surprised... (neck & PRS scale length question)

JoshuaLogan

• Members

Okay, well, I've been thinking about having a custom guitar built by Guiterrez, so before I go and commit to that, I wanted to spend some serious time with my friend's SG to see just how I like the scale length, because he lives on the same street as me....

Well, lastnight I got to play it for a few hours, and found out a bunch of things. First of all, the short gibson scale length is very comfortable all over the neck except in the very highest frets (21-22), where I'd be nice to have them a little bit bigger... but overall I am much more comfortable on the 24.75" scale length than the 25.5". Here's the problem, I am going to want atleast 24 frets and I need the room, but I don't think I've ever spent much time with the PRS 25" scale length and I'm wondering if I'd like that better, since it's just a little bit more spaced than the gibson. I am planning on visiting some music stores in the next few days to play something with that scale length.... I know PRS, Carvin, and one of the Ibanez SZ guitars use it.... are there any other easily available guitars to try out with this same scale length?

And secondly, I found out that I am much more comfortable with the fatter neck of the SG than the thin "shred necks" I've had on my superstrat guitars. I've always heard the thinner the neck the better when it comes to shredding, but I was playing things on my friend's SG that I CAN'T play on my own guitar... Apparently I have pretty big hands, because it was just WAY more comfortable to me... I could easily make chords anywhere on the neck without my wrist getting irritated like it usually does on certain chords I play on guitars with really thin necks. (I'm 20 by the way.... no arthritis or any problems like that)

So, I don't know what it was exactly, but the short scale length and fatter neck of the SG are actually much, much more comfortable to me than the kind of guitars I've been playing the last few years. I was pretty amazed, because I was shredding a little beyond what I thought my limits were. haha. Even the placement of the bridge on the SG seems more comfortable.... seemed like my technique improved a ton just from it fitting how I play so much better... I'd buy an SG in a heartbeat right now if I didn't need the guitar to have a trem and want 24 frets.

Does anybody else here into shredding prefer a little bit fatter necks? Do you know any more guitars with the PRS scale length that I can try out? If I get this guitar built, I think I am going to get the neck similar to the SG but slightly thinner, and either the 24.75" or 25" scale length....

• Members

Lots of people prefer fatter necks. A thinner neck does not = faster playing. Its all in the hands, and I say ALWAYS go with whats most comfortable. {censored} cosmetics.
:thu:

Yeah, truth, but I just always hear the shred guys preferring the thin necks and blues/rock guys preferring the fatter necks, so it was somewhat surprising.... all of the spacing felt comfortable... what's the neck radius on an SG anyways? I'm guessing 12"? I don't think it's 15"...

I need to try out the PRS scale length now and see if I like that or not... anybody have anything to say?

• Members

Yeah, truth, but I just always hear the shred guys preferring the thin necks and blues/rock guys preferring the fatter necks, so it was somewhat surprising.... all of the spacing felt comfortable... what's the neck radius on an SG anyways? I'm guessing 12"? I don't think it's 15"...

I need to try out the PRS scale length now and see if I like that or not... anybody have anything to say?

I dont like fat necks because I have small hands, but I know a lot of really good shredders who hate Ibanez's because of their wide thin necks. Its so subjective you know... Take a Jackson for example though, a lot of those have really wide necks and but they're still thick as {censored}, and they are mostly a shredders guitar...

You may dig that PRS scale length. Its like a combination of an SG and a Strat put together IMO. Its pretty weird at first. Ive noticed most people either love it or hate it. :idk:

Good luck on your search. :D

• Members

I dont like fat necks because I have small hands, but I know a lot of really good shredders who hate Ibanez's because of their wide thin necks. Its so subjective you know... Take a Jackson for example though, a lot of those have really wide necks and but they're still thick as {censored}, and they are mostly a shredders guitar...

You may dig that PRS scale length. Its like a combination of an SG and a Strat put together IMO. Its pretty weird at first. Ive noticed most people either love it or hate it.
:idk:

Good luck on your search.
:D

yeah, it's a little bit closer to the gibson scale length than the strat scale length though, so that's why I'm thinking I might like it. I already like the gibson scale length the whole way up the fretboard, but just those very upper frets could use a little more spacing, so I'm wondering if I'd be just as comfortable with the PRS scale length for the lower frets and then have that little bit of extra space for those upper frets like I wanted... gotta try it to find out I guess. I think I might though, since it's closer to the gibson length...

• Members

something to consider is the 2 octave neck; that will make you more cramped in the higher registers. I used to think I had to have a 2 octave neck, but now realize I'm not that good and 21/22 frets is plenty and with my Jimmy Deans for fingers, I too like a little longer scale.

• Members

something to consider is the 2 octave neck; that will make you more cramped in the higher registers. I used to think I had to have a 2 octave neck, but now realize I'm not that good and 21/22 frets is plenty and with my Jimmy Deans for fingers, I too like a little longer scale.

lol well I actually like the shorter scale... it's between that and the PRS scale right now... but I'm definitely getting atleast 24 frets... I was actually considering 27 haha

• Members

You might really like the necks on Carvins, my DC127 has 25" scale with 12" radius, and 24 frets. The nut is spaced a little wider than usual and it's the perfect balance of chunk vs. comfort. It has a nice D shape, and along with the fairly flat radius and wide spacing it fills your hand at any point on the neck.

From your post I can tell you would dig it... I also have a LP-style guitar and it's nice switching between the two, the LP is the perfect "fat rock" neck whereas the Carvin is a mix between that feel and a 24-fret shredder, for me it's "home"

• Members

Try a San Dimas Charvel neck (S-E-X). :love:

I'm eventually going to get a SD, but my early '90s Japanese 475 Charvel is similar in many respects and no slouch either, with what I consider the perfect neck profile with 25.5" scale and 22 extra jumbo frets, extremely confidence inspiring to play.

I like my Carvin's 25" "medium thick shredder neck" quite a bit also although I would prefer to have it with a wider fretboard and 25.5" scale. I have medium to large hands and like to have more room in the upper register.

My PRS is 25" with 22 frets and the fatter '50s style neck, I can play just as fast on it as I can any guitar I have.

• Members

i had a strat for about 4 years and i bought an sg standard without even trying a newer one. the one i did try was a 78 or 79 and it felt ok, but i love the way the newer ones feel, and i got small hands too. but you are right, the upper frets do get a bit cramped, overall i adjusted to mine realitively quick and easy!!!

• Members

I tend to prefer 24.75" scale cause I have teeny hands, and the thin/flat/wide thing kills my wrist anymore (Used to LOVE Ibanez). Sadly, I generally prefer the sound of 25.5". I also tend to prefer narrow necks. My gibson feels kinda wide compared to my others.

I have a 25" Agile PRS wannabe with 24 frets, and its pretty cool. Its a little clearer like 25.5", and feels like a tight 24.75". Its got a narrow neck, and its very thick/round. But, the last few frets are pretty teeny...

• Members

more width can often make up for tight fret spacing.

you might not notice much of a difference between 24.75 and 25, on the upper frets. the differences will be tiny. you might want to seek out a USA hamer studio or special (either arched or flat top) to try out, and see if you like that spacing better. it's a bit wider than an SG, and they're fabulous guitars from tip to tail. the specials sound a lot like SGs, the arch-top studios sound a lot like LPs (only more balanced), and the flat-top studios fall somewhere in between. the necks are medium thickness, similar to a '61 SG. great guitars, and can be had for very reasonable prices if bought used. even the import versions are decent, for the money.

• Members

You might like to check out the Schecter C-1 line, very nice guitars and very reasonable prices. They have 25.5 scale, nice thickness to the necks that are extremely easy to play. The Classic has Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB and the Hellraiser is the same build with active EMGs. They are sweet axes.

• Members

You might like to check out the Schecter C-1 line, very nice guitars and very reasonable prices. They have 25.5 scale, nice thickness to the necks that are extremely easy to play. The Classic has Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB and the Hellraiser is the same build with active EMGs. They are sweet axes.

I actually use to have one a while back. The neck on them is actually pretty thin..... it's narrow too...... I think more narrow than the SG...

• Members

Hell, I really like my cheap Samick PRS copy. It's 24 3/4" scale and has a thinner neck than any SE I've played though still isn't like Ibanez thin. It rips, IMO, and a friend of mine who's usually more picky about gear agrees.

But it's definitely what works for you and the way you hold the guitar and play it -- especially if you're going to play it for extended periods of time.

Archived