ENGL Fireball or Peavey 6505?

2_Fast_2_Vader

• Members

I live in the middle of nowhere. there's a walmart here. that's it.

I'm interested in the ENGL Fireball & Peavey 6505. immediate pro's for the 6505 is price & availability. I have a 20% off coupon from musicians friend. so if I get the 6505, it would be $800, and it's in stock. the ENGL would be a little over $1000 with the discount, not a major difference. but not available until mid-february.

I'm obviously looking for a high gain head. something that has nice mids, that can handle multiple metal styles, whether I want a Shadows Fall/Killswitch Engage with punchy mids, or a more scooped System of a Down type tone.

which of these would be preferred? and I would appreciate your reasoning, and any sound clips you can provide. the ENGL site just has band recordings, which isn't a solid clip to go on.

• Members

I would go for the 6505. It will be a LOT thicker and meaner. It will be a HELL of a lot louder, and will have raunchier midrange.

The fireball will be tighter and darker, and sound more scooped.

Both are great amps, but i much prefer the 6505.

• Members

I just got my ENGL Fireball today from the 20% Music 123 discount. I got one of 2 that came in from Germany last week.

I've owned several 5150s/6505s and several ENGLs. While those are great amps, I'd choose the ENGL every time. If you need to get real loud, the Peavy might be a better choice though. I think the Fireball thins out a little when you turn it up. I'm using an MXR 10-band eq in the loop of the fireball and it thickens it up quite nicely though. I have it sounding as good as channel 4 of my SE - which was my goal since I'm selling that amp for other gear.

• Members

I have heard a 5150 II and a Fireball both on stage together, and the Fireball had a warmer darker, even fuller sound. It didn't cut as well because it didn't have the mids of the 5150 II, but it was actually a nice sounding combo for a band to have.

With that said, I would choose a 5150 over both. Its kinda like having the fullness of a Fireball, but the mids of a 5150.

• Members

Go for the 6505. It's a beast! Slap a set of JJs in the power section with a JJ in V1 of the preamp and you should be set. Try boosting it with a BadMonkey. When played through V30s, this setup is insane! It sounds thick and huge, but still cuts through like a lazer.

• Members

Sounds like it is split right down the middle at this point. I've owned a fireball and a 6505+. This is what I think. The Fireball sounded great at low volumes, and I never got a chance to crank it up really, but it is only 60w and I've heard a couple people say that it needs more volume or perhaps they can't be heard in a band situation due to the naturally scooped tone of the fireball. At the same time, there are people on here who gig with the fireball and love it I'm sure. My 6505+ sounded fuller, thicker, and usually buzzier than the fireball. I think if you could have the tone of the fireball and the thickness and volume of the peavey you might have one hell of an amplifier. All that being said, I would probably go with the peavey b/c I think it leaves you more options in the long run. It will give you plenty of volume, cut through in a band situation, and you can always clean boost it as well. In fact, I'm a big KSE fan as well and I know they used these on The End of Heartache (probably boosted) and someone on here posted a clip of a 6505+ boosted with a bad monkey and it was one of the best clips I've heard here on the forums, sounded a lot like Killswitch tone. Good luck.

• Members

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=589238

Here are the clips I was talking about. The recording quality isn't that great, but he said he recorded these with a computer mic or something. You can certainly hear the ripping tones though. This is a duncan JB equipped guitar into a bad monkey and into a 6505+. I think you'll like it.

• Members

6505 better than a FB? HA! . I've owned the 6505 and its not even in the same class as the FB Besides do you really need 120w? the FB sounds better at bedroom / recording levels. Of all the amps I've owned the FB stays in my arsenal.

But dont take it from me....listen to the clips and decide for yourself.

Not to mention your more likely to get more money for the FB than the 6505 if you decide to sell.

• Members

Here are the clips I was talking about. The recording quality isn't that great, but he said he recorded these with a computer mic or something. You can certainly hear the ripping tones though. This is a duncan JB equipped guitar into a bad monkey and into a 6505+. I think you'll like it.

thanks for the clips, Meadows! those really helped push my decision towards the 6505. I don't know if I should go for the 6505 or the 6505+? the clean channel would be nice, but I heard it comes at the sacrafice of some overdrive tone.

• Members

thanks for the clips, Meadows! those really helped push my decision towards the 6505. I don't know if I should go for the 6505 or the 6505+? the clean channel would be nice, but I heard it comes at the sacrafice of some overdrive tone.

It's not sacrificed, it's just different. The high end is smoother (less buzzy), it's tighter, and it has a slightly different midrange voicing. You'll hear tons of arguments for each being the better amp but in the end you just have to play them.

Archived