Sign in to follow this  
kobe

Prong (Marshall Valvestate)

Saw Prong a few nights back. Stood at the front of the stage and listened to Tommy Victor's glorious guitar sound from his two Marshall Valvestate 8100 for an hour and a half.

It's amazing what a basically solid state amp and a great guitar player can do.

09012008191.jpg

I saw him a couple of years back with Danzig. I liked his tone and his solos(or christ's) were great. I heard that he played for Madonna at one point, is there any truth to that?

does anyone know if tommy still tunes to C...just curious?

from the gig i saw on thursday he played most of the set in 'drop' tuning...probably around 'B' but I cant be certain. He also had a second guitar in standard,that was probably 'C'. Again it's hard to be 100% on that due to it being a live show

Static X uses the same, no?? Or is it the MG?

I read Static X used the MG in the studio.

Prong kicks ass, I saw 'em play live in a small club about 10 years ago.

IMO--- solid state amps sound dry and harsh, but both Static X and Prong have done a great job making harsh sound real cool.

Metal forever!

I saw a band do some Prong covers last year. The guitarist was playing thru a Framus Cobra.

It sounded fucking killer!!!!!!!! Those damn Framus Cobras are NO joke!

Gotta love those tube amps!

There is an 8100 at the local GC I was thinking of snagging. I think they are asking 200.00 bucks. Chuck and Tommy made them sound good.

even though i'm mostly a tube snob! (see my sig) kinda makes me wonder what's the point of spending thousands on expensive amps when with a bit of skill such sounds can be achived with something like a valvestate.

There is an 8100 at the local GC I was thinking of snagging. I think they are asking 200.00 bucks. Chuck and Tommy made them sound good.

You can make it sound good too. I have been playing 28 years and have owned many top of the line tube amps......And I love my MG 15 Ministack. It sounds great at bedroom volumes. Just as good as those 3000 dollar tube amps at those volumes. I actually like it better for practice- no tube sag- nice and tight and very agressive tones and the cleans sound good. Who cares what anyone says... If you like it, get it.