Low-watt amp (grrrrrr)

antareus

• Members

I want a great sounding amp that I don't need to use earplugs for. It doesn't need to be whisper quiet, as I play in a house. I know I need a certain amount of headroom to get a decent rock sound, but I'm still wanting a good deal of power amp overdrive to smooth and warm the sound up. I want to play hard, progressive rock ala Porcupine Tree, Muse, or Rush.

Things I'm looking for:

* Low-ish wattage

* Can accept a THD HotPlate if I want more power amp action than volume allows (most amps should)

* Warm/smooth sounding

* Serial FX loop

* Takes pedals well

* As much preamp gain as I can get

If the amp doesn't have much in the way of preamp gain, I can always add a boost and something like a fuzz factory or a muff in the front of it. I don't know what to make of the smaller tube combos that have a "vintage" sound. Does it mean it doesn't have many preamp gain stages?

Right now the amp that I am most interested in is the Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube combo. It seems to fit most of this criteria. At 20 watts, I'm not sure if its too much power. I'd prefer a combo, but don't have to have one. I just figure that a single pushed speaker would sound better than two speakers that aren't pushed as hard.

• Members

I want a great sounding amp that I don't need to use earplugs for. It doesn't need to be whisper quiet, as I play in a house. I know I need a certain amount of headroom to get a decent rock sound, but I'm still wanting a good deal of power amp overdrive to smooth and warm the sound up. I want to play hard, progressive rock ala Porcupine Tree, Muse, or Rush.

Things I'm looking for:

* Low-ish wattage

* Can accept a THD HotPlate if I want more power amp action than volume allows (most amps should)

* Warm/smooth sounding

* Serial FX loop

* Takes pedals well

* As much preamp gain as I can get

If the amp doesn't have much in the way of preamp gain, I can always add a boost and something like a fuzz factory or a muff in the front of it. I don't know what to make of the smaller tube combos that have a "vintage" sound. Does it mean it doesn't have many preamp gain stages?

Right now the amp that I am most interested in is the Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube combo. It seems to fit most of this criteria. At 20 watts, I'm not sure if its too much power. I'd prefer a combo, but don't have to have one. I just figure that a single pushed speaker would sound better than two speakers that aren't pushed as hard.

Here is where you lose. If you want any power amp gain, the FX loop is meaningless. The whole thing with an effects loop is that the effects come post gain and you're getting very clean effects going through an almost perfectly clean power amp section.

Anything you're using to get power amp gain is going to do the same thing to your pedals as running out in front, essentially. See amps like the Vintage Modern which has an effects loop because people want it, but it's not really useful at all.

Number 2, if you're really looking to get as much PREAMP gain as possible, than you simply don't need a low wattage amp. Get an amp with a solid master volume. The clean headroom in the power section will give you the effects loop you want and allow you to play with a band if it ever comes down to it, but realize that a relatively clean power amp doesn't really effect tone that much as you turn up, it's all psychoacoustics at that point perceiving "louder" as "better".

Now, if you truly wanted power amp gain and awesome tone and cast aside the desire for the "maximum" preamp gain and an effects loop, the Cornford Harlequin is the best amp I've played that fits that description.

They do make the Carrera which has an effects loop (though how effective it can be I'm not sure) and some cool tube options for a bit more.

• Members

Here is where you lose. If you want any power amp gain, the FX loop is meaningless. The whole thing with an effects loop is that the effects come post gain and you're getting very clean effects going through an almost perfectly clean power amp section.

I'm not sure I follow...are you saying that the inclusion of an FX loop inhibits power amp gain?

Anything you're using to get power amp gain is going to do the same thing to your pedals as running out in front, essentially. See amps like the Vintage Modern which has an effects loop because people want it, but it's not really useful at all.

Was wanting a serial FX loop to use time-based effects, mostly.

Number 2, if you're really looking to get as much PREAMP gain as possible, than you simply don't need a low wattage amp. Get an amp with a solid master volume.

What is an amp that has a solid master volume? Since it is so common nowadays, are you referring an amp that maintains a desirable tone as you turn down the master volume?

Now, if you truly wanted power amp gain and awesome tone and cast aside the desire for the "maximum" preamp gain and an effects loop, the Cornford Harlequin is the best amp I've played that fits that description.

Thanks, I will look into it.

• Members

I'm not sure I follow...are you saying that the inclusion of an FX loop inhibits power amp gain?

Was wanting a serial FX loop to use time-based effects, mostly.

What is an amp that has a solid master volume? Since it is so common nowadays, are you referring an amp that maintains a desirable tone as you turn down the master volume?

Thanks, I will look into it.

Basically, this is hte deal.

The signal chain goes guitar -fx -preamp- phase inverter-fx loop-power amp

I'm not 100% sure on the PI, it may come post FX loop.

But, the goal here for things like delay is to delay the distorted signal not distort the delays. This way the repeats are "clean" and you don't distort the artifacts in the delay. The FX loop puts you after your preamp gain, os if you're running a relatively clean power amp, you're running your effects post -distortion. But if you're running with lots of power amp distortion, then your going to do exactly what you're looking to avoid with an FX loop anyway to your signal.

There are lots of amps that sound good no matter where the master is on your amp.

• Members

Aha, that makes sense. I always thought the FX loop was after the power amp. Thank you for the explanation.

I will see about trying some smaller amps. Most of the amps I have tried need to be turned up considerably before they sound great, unfortunately.

• Members

Blackheart Little Giant, Epi Valve Jr. You can get both in small stack form (head and 1x12) from musicians friend for 250 each. They don't have effects loops, but both sound great cranked. They are 5 watts each and at the price you can't got wrong. I've got both.

But you don't have an effects loop in either.

• Members

OUCH!

$200 a watt! love the laney though... but damn... i think i'd live with the compromises of a valve junior or a univalve before i threw down $1000 unless it sounds somehow better than a carmen ghia or something similar! and they could at least throw a celestion blue in it...

that thing better have an output transformer hand wound of cold drawn silver wire by english monks for that kinda scratch.. and tubes handmade by a french dude..

sure is pretty though..

Archived