recommend me a sweet vintage combo

Uncle_Milton

• Members

OK, I love vintage amps, but i'm totally over heads right now and wants me a tube combo with some major mojo

I want it to be able to go from awesome sparkly clean to dirty crunch, clean headroom would be nice, but i want an amp that breaks up at reasonable small gig volume

these are amps I've been looking at lately. Please adds to my listz

ampeg vt-22

jcm-800 combo

silvertone 1484 or 1485, yeah the 1485 is a head but i could work it with a 2x12

ac-30tb

• Members

yeah the 1485 is a head but i could work it with a 2x12

Nope. Since the trannies are NOT coupled, you will need to use the original cab OR run two cabs at once ALL the time. You might be able to mod it with a switch to lift the cathode ground on one of the OTs to pull it out of circuit, but then you would be running 2 6L6s like a 1484 anyway.

- WOT

EDIT: You COULD use it with a 2 x 12, if each speaker had it's own jack.

• Members

Nope. Since the trannies are NOT coupled, you will need to use the original cab OR run two cabs at once ALL the time. You might be able to mod it with a switch to lift the cathode ground on one of the OTs to pull it out of circuit, but then you would be running 2 6L6s like a 1484 anyway.

- WOT

EDIT: You COULD use it with a 2 x 12, if each speaker had it's own jack.

the more I read about those damn things, the more of a pain they seem. If only they didn't crunch so damn well!!

you know, it may be fun to mod a 2x12 cab to have two jacks into two different speaker types

• Members

look on youtube for a video of a guy with a jmp combo. that thing is sooooooo nice.

also, not sure how much clean headroom it has but consider the 1974x.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1977-Marshall-JMP-50w-Combo-Amp_W0QQitemZ130190798827QQihZ003QQcategoryZ38075QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

that thing does look like it has some major mojo

• Members
OK, I love vintage amps, but i'm totally over heads right now and wants me a tube combo with some major mojo

I want it to be able to go from awesome sparkly clean to dirty crunch, clean headroom would be nice, but i want an amp that breaks up at reasonable small gig volume

these are amps I've been looking at lately. Please adds to my listz

ampeg vt-22

jcm-800 combo

silvertone 1484 or 1485, yeah the 1485 is a head but i could work it with a 2x12

ac-30tb

I had a Gibson Atlas Bass Amp that was given to me in the 90's (Head and 2x12 cab) Green Tolex! Made a nice, warm clean uncolored sound that took FX pretty well. It blew up and was a mess, I fixed it and sold it. Wish I kept It....Good luck finding one of these.

• Members
Gibson Skylark

Skylark.jpg

Kick ass little 5 watt amps, can be had for under $300

BOO. I used to have one of those. It was given to me. It was during my metal phase when I was 17 so I hated it. I still don't remember what ever happened to it. Makes me mad to this day.

A sweet tremolo on it though.

• Members

When my tech heard the tremolo on it he FLIPPED, Molasses is a good term for that tremolo. He now converts most black and silverface Fenders over to the trem on the Skylark if anyone has anything remotely close to negative to say about it. My Guild Blues 90 through that amp is amazing!

That amp also has a lot of family history, my Great Uncle played just about every bar in Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland etc with that thing, it is the only piece of gear I've promised myself I will never sell.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I love my AC30TB. It's exactlly what you described. It's picky about the guitar you use with it. Tele, Gretsch and Less paul sound good. I don't like a strat with it myself.

I also love my Super Reverb. The Vox may look smaller then the Super but the Super is lighter.

A Vibrolux would probably be the Bees knees for you.

If youre looking for a player and don't care about vintage look, A modded blues jr with a green back or blue bell is awesome.

Archived