Help me construct a list of bargain tube heads ($200-500)

planet shh

• Members

Ever since I parted ways with my old band, I can't use my singer's Peavey Classic 50 anymore, my amp isn't working right and isn't worth getting checked out, and I'm extremely poor.

So I need to pick up something within the next month here for the new band I've been playing with, and I can currently only justify spending around $200-500.

I'm looking for an amp that can cover all grounds between somewhat clean and high gain with a boost if needed.

So here's the first amps that I've thought of looking for so far off the top of my head:

Carvin X series

Laney AOR

Peavey Classic series

Old Bassmans

Ampeg

And thats about all I can think of off the top of my head.

I was also wondering if it's common to pick up used Valvekings or Windsors yet, and if so about how much they go for.

I know there's a lot more options that I don't know of, so any help would be fantastic. I'm not opposed to a rack set-up at all either. :cool:

• Members

How much are Fender Prosonics and JCM 900s going for these days? I swear I've seen JCM 900s go in the $4-500 range in the past.

I looked at both of these heads hard a few months ago as I was in the market. I was under the same impression cuz the last time I checked you could pick up a 900 for about $500. The price has gone up. The cheapest I found a decent one was $750. I actually ended up with a Prosonic for $550. This is on the cheap side of things as they are gaining popularity and usually go on ebay for around $700. Deals can be had though.

• Members

You can get an old Sunn head for well within that price range. Try finding a Sonaro or Sentura II. I've got a Sentura II and you can get nice clean-with-bite tones and boost it up into overdrive glory. Loud as hell, too. Drawbacks: its heavy as {censored}.

Archived