What power of amp for a venue of 150?

Shodan

• Members

As the title says. Not far off playing our first gig. So I'm wonderin what size amp would I need to play venues that hold up to say 150 people. I'm quite interested in the new Marshall 100w JVM combos but would the JVM205C 50 Watt 2x12" combo do ok?

I cant get extra cabs as I've no room for them even in the garage.

We have a PA but it's not of great quality.

Whats the lowest powered amp I'd need?

Oh I need good cleans and our drummer is pretty loud!

Any info would be much appreciated :)

• Members
As the title says. Not far off playing our first gig. So I'm wonderin what size amp would I need to play venues that hold up to say 150 people. I'm quite interested in the new Marshall 100w JVM combos but would the JVM205C 50 Watt 2x12" combo do ok?

I cant get extra cabs as I've no room for them even in the garage.

We have a PA but it's not of great quality.

Whats the lowest powered amp I'd need?

Oh I need good cleans and our drummer is pretty loud!

Any info would be much appreciated
:)

10-15 watss or more, regardless of the venue size. You want to keep your onstage volume and mix as consistent as possible at all venues and situations.

• Members

10-15 watss or more, regardless of the venue size. You want to keep your onstage volume and mix as consistent as possible at all venues and situations.

Erm I'm a wee bit confused, I know that 100w is not nessesarily louder that 30w but 10 - 15watts:confused::confused:

Me an the other 2 guys only had 15 watt amps mine being a Marshall 15w valvestate. The amp could be heard, but only just, over the drummer and other guys!:confused::confused:

• Members

Erm I'm a wee bit confused, I know that 100w is not nessesarily louder that 30w but 10 - 15watts:confused:
:confused:
Me an the other 2 guys only had 15 watt amps mine being a Marshall 15w valvestate. The amp could be heard, but only just, over the drummer and other guys!

Well, I didn't mean a 15" Valvestate. I was thinking something with a pair of EL84s and high efficiency speakers. If it isn't quite loud enough onstage, fold a little back through the wedges, or support through the sidefills if you are using them.

• Members

10 -15 watts in tube is a lot louder than 10-15 watts solid state, that that valve state uses a solid state power section, so it wont be nearly as loud or clear.

i would go 20-30 watts tube if you arent doing anything really heavy or aggressive, i would go at least 50 if you are trying to do metal or hard rock. it is more of a thing of bass response with more watts.

if you want to go solid state, there are some good options but you are going to want to go higher with the wattage as solid state power amp distortion isnt really pleasant to the ears. so maybe in the 100 watt range, some guys on here have some cool SS amps, i would wait for them to answer.

• Members

10 -15 watts in tube is a lot louder than 10-15 watts solid state, that that valve state uses a solid state power section, so it wont be nearly as loud or clear.

i would go 20-30 watts tube if you arent doing anything really heavy or aggressive, i would go at least 50 if you are trying to do metal or hard rock. it is more of a thing of bass response with more watts.

if you want to go solid state, there are some good options but you are going to want to go higher with the wattage as solid state power amp distortion isnt really pleasant to the ears. so maybe in the 100 watt range, some guys on here have some cool SS amps, i would wait for them to answer.

We do a wide range of types of songs (all covers for now) maybe only about 3 of them are pretty rocky but deffinately no metal.

so, it looks like a valve 50 watter is the way to go.

I keep listening to loads of makes of amps but I always seem to prefer Marshalls.

• Members

i think this may be out of your price range, but a Budda Superdrive 45 is such a badass amp. it is only 45 watts and it does the marshall thing well. but i would look for maybe something from a marshall esque amp.

something like laney or splawn.

DSL 50 is also decent.

The SD18 is a sweet gigging amp. Very loud.

• Members

I agree with all the above, especially the more wattage equals better bass response. Ive never played an amp below 30 watts that had great bass response. If your looking for a clean channel that doesnt breakup in a tube amp your gonna need a lot more wattage than if you dont mind your cleans breaking up a bit.

Personally ive never played with less than 120 watts live and i play sabbath-y metal and rock. What sort of music do you play?

• Members

I play rock and roll, I can gig 280 people or more with my 50 watt bassman. The difference between 50 watts and 100 watts is only like 12 db and some amps are a lot louder than others. It really depends on what you want to do. I have played with a 15 watt amp mic'd. I have also played with a full stack. It is important that you practice kind of close to the stage volume you want to have, if possible. If you don't then you will not hear things, or hear things you are really not used to hearing in the gig. The point is you don't have to roll in two full stacks to play a gig. Good luck.

• Members

I play rock and roll, I can gig 280 people or more with my 50 watt bassman. The difference between 50 watts and 100 watts is only like 12 db and some amps are a lot louder than others. It really depends on what you want to do. I have played with a 15 watt amp mic'd. I have also played with a full stack. It is important that you practice kind of close to the stage volume you want to have, if possible. If you don't then you will not hear things, or hear things you are really not used to hearing in the gig. The point is you don't have to roll in two full stacks to play a gig. Good luck.

Umm the difference between 50 and 100 watts is 3db, not 12.

• Members

If you are truely comparing apples to apples, doubling power only gives you an additional 3db. I know this sounds nuts, but its true.

From Peavey's website:

"As a benchmark, it helps to realize that the common criteria to double the apparent loudness of a sound is to increase the SPL by 10 dB, or ten times the power."

It all goes back to the whole logarithmic thing (sp?).

• Members

Thanks for all the replys guys!

Going by what you have all said it looks like the very amp I was considering which is the new for 2008 all valve Marshall JVM205C (2x12 50w combo) should be loud enough.

I'm going to have fun testing it and others out!

Still cant get my head round why it is that a 100w amp is not much louder than a 50w though.

Anyway cheers again guys :thu:

• Members

I'm restraining myself from saying, "{censored}`n n00b"

If you do that I'll kick you in the teeth, SS posse polices its own :evil:

Who was it that said he hadn't heard good bass response out of anything less than 30W? My THD Univalve is 15W class A, and cranked, with the bass knob letting all signal through (passive tone stack), it'll thump your chest with a big V30 cabinet. It's a pretty bright amp on its own, but my high gain sound comes from a combo of Damage Control Liquid Blues overdriving Damage Control Solid Metal with an EQ after them to kick it even harder. While that's pretty far from guitar-->amp=bass thump, it sure the hell gets me where I want to be.

• Members

I think the dude who said go with the PA had the right answer..if not, 30W I'd think....but gonna depend on what you play innit.

What are you Shodan in?
:D

Karate, shukokai to be exact though it,s been a long time since I last trained grrrr. Would have called myself JKD but someone had taken that already :thu:

Archived