Is it bad to play my half-stack without ear plugs?

Chrisjd

• Members

loll dude....whether you rehearse or not, a half stack is {censored}ing loud at band's volume..if anything you may less damage your hearing since the drums and all add other sorts of frequencies, but you're gonna screw yourselg up still

I found that even at a fairly low volume, when standing in front of the speakers, it gets tiring for the ears, it seems like I get ear piercing freqs that bother me....

EARPLUGS

• Members

So, to answer your question - if you are playing your amp loud enough that you'd have to yell to be heard over it, even if you are on your own, it is too loud. In fact the general rule of thumb is that if you can't have a comfortable conversation at normal speaking volumes in the presence of whatever noise is going on, then that noise is loud enough to damage your hearing. One way I've heard it put is that your hearing is like a pile of sand that is slowly diminishing over time. You can throw the sand away with a teaspoon or with a shovel.

It depends on how long you are exposed to it, though. It's not like if you just hear a sound above conversational volume, you instantly suffer permanent hearing damage.

• Members

Yes, we all like to play loud, but I can tell you from experience that you can damage your hearing irreversibly very quickly. I never had any problems with my hearing but about five years ago I went to a loud concert by a Pink Floyd tribute band and left with my ears ringing and it's never stopped. From that one night, I now live with a constant high pitched sound, like a tea kettle whistling 24 hours a day. Once the fibers in the inner ear become damaged from exposure to loud sound, it's permanent and there is no cure. So please think about whether it's worth it.

• Members

Continuous dB/Permissible Exposure Time

85 db

8 hours

88 dB

4 hours

91 db

2 hours

94 db

1 hour

97 db

30 minutes

100 db

15 minutes

103 db

7.5 minutes

106 dB

3.75 min (

109 dB

1.875 min (

112 dB

.9375 min (~1 min)

115 dB

.46875 min (~30 sec)

thermometer.jpg

• Members

you could always try wearing just one, and standing so the ear that's plugged faces the amp...that's what i do when i go to shows

Over time that can still result in hearing loss in the ear that isn't protected.

Honestly, go spend the money on musician's ear plugs and get used to them. I'd rather be able to hear at 55 than enjoy loud music now.

• Members

Yep, I have those. Kinda goofy looking...but they work great!

rofl they stick out like the bolts on frankensteins neck and their bright blue... wtf were they thinkin when they were thinkin of marketing them? like yeah we want they to work but we want you to look like an idiot when you wear them :lol:

and its sad that im pretty positive that my ears are gonna be trash by like 30 according to that chart :cry:

Archived