If you couldn't play teh br00tulz, what would you play?

rememberduane

• Members

Just curious... actually just, if you couldn't play whatever your primary musical style is, what kind of band would you want to be in? And what gear would you use? I mean styles you already play, not stuff you just wish you could play.

Right now I'm getting a sort of experimental, eclectic soul-based power trio going, but if I couldn't do something rock-based, I'd try to put together a jazz quartet. I played in a lot of both larger bands and smaller ensembles. I've been using that experience to do other things lately, so my chops are a bit rusty, but I think I could definitely get them back enough to put together something good -- maybe a kit, double bass, organ, and guitar, or if it were to be a bit more traditional, a trumpet or sax instead of the organ.

Ideally, my gear would consist of these two things:

E081V2-FullLength.jpg

and

drzmaz38com.jpg

But if I were to go a bit more traditional and more affordable:

531606.jpg

and

541606.jpg

Remember this is ideal!

• Members

Nice gear; both the owned and ideal. :cool:

Since I'm not really into what is currently thought of as being "brutal," I'd play classic/hard rock and/or oldschool metal/thrash. If not those, though, I'd probably delve into blues-rock more and strive to be able to play acoustic anything like Michael Hedges and Phil Keaggy.

• Members

Nice gear; both the owned and ideal.
:cool:

Since I'm not really into what is currently tought of as being "brutal," I'd play classic/hard rock and/or oldschool metal/thrash. If not those, though, I'd probably delve into blues-rock more and strive to be able to play acoustic anything like Michael Hedges and Phil Keaggy.

Neither of those are owned though -- just two different paths for the same goal, one not as stupidly and earth-shatteringly expensive.

I actually have nothing but an acoustic guitar and an amp right now. Which makes for an ineffectual (but interesting) pairing. :(

• Members

Neither of those are owned though -- just two different paths for the same goal, one not as stupidly and earth-shatteringly expensive.

I actually have nothing but an acoustic guitar and an amp right now. Which makes for an ineffectual (but interesting) pairing.
:(

I'll bet having only the acoustic is helping with rhythm playing, if nothing else. :cool:

I recently got a Yamaha Pacifica 112 strat copy from a local pawn for $84 and was really surprised at how good it seems to be for a cheap strat copy. I doubt I'd be into the cheaper 012, but this one's not bad at all if you can find a deal like that and afford it at the moment. I also got a Peavey Predator strat copy for around $100 a while back that's fairly decent, as well. Not at all the ideal guitars for your goal but definitely workable in the meantime.

• Members

I'll bet having only the acoustic is helping with rhythm playing, if nothing else.

I recently got a Yamaha Pacifica 112 strat copy from a local pawn for $84 and was really surprised at how good it seems to be for a cheap strat copy. I doubt I'd be into the cheaper 012, but this one's not bad at all if you can find a deal like that and afford it at the moment. I also got a Peavey Predator strat copy for around $100 a while back that's fairly decent, as well. Not at all the ideal guitars for your goal but definitely workable in the meantime.

Having only an acoustic has helped my playing in a lottt of ways. I'm probably actually going to have to slap 11's or 12's on whatever I get, because when I play guitars with 10's on in stores, it feels REALLY uncomfortable. My fingers are way stronger, even if I've traded off a bit in dexterity.

I'm off to a job interview today, so I'm hoping I'll be able to afford something that's alright pretty soon. I'll have a look at those though, definitely. My only real problem with super-cheap guitars like that is the lack of tuning stability. Are those okay in that department? I bend the {censored} out of the strings. :D

I'm actually hoping I can save up for a G&L tribute ASAT or Legacy. Shouldn't be too expensive, about as much as a mexi-Fender, but awesome quality.

• Members

BEBOP !

I really love Jazz !

The good thing is, my Mesa F-50 sounds awesome for Metal with my Ibanezes and it also sounds great clean with my jazz guitar !
:love:

I really love jazz but have never worked on trying to play any. I always looked at jazz as being a style you don't (maybe can't) mess with unless you know theory, and my theory knowledge is very limited. :(

• Members

I really love jazz but have never worked on trying to play any. I always looked at jazz as being a style you don't (maybe can't) mess with unless you know theory, and my theory knowledge is very limited.
:(

Well, for me this is true, to learn jazz I had to learn theory, too. Now I'm trying to forget about the theory and use my ears more.

But then there are those very talented players, who seem to be able to learn jazz solely by ear without any theory knowledge. I'm in awe of those dudes !

But I couldn't do it.

• Members

Well, for me this is true, to leran jazz I had to learn theory, too. Now I'm trying to forget about the theory and use my ears more.

But then there are those very talented players, who seem to be able to learn jazz solely by ear without any theory knowledge. I'm in awe of those dudes !

But I couldn't do it.

+1 to all of the above.

• Members

Well right now I don't really play anything now...

But if I couldn't play what I've been going for or was moving to that "second tier" you're talking about, I'd probably do some singer/songwriter style stuff on acoustic.

Or I'd pick up my trumpet again and get hardcore into playing that, get my chops into shape, and play in a big band.

Archived