Anyone ever dealt with Rich Harris @ IbanezRules.com? Good setups?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I'm posting this on Jemsite, but figured I would here too.

I'm thinking about buying a guitar from him, mostly because I'm interested in the work he could do setting it up and getting it playing perfectly (with frets leveled and guitar shimmmed and all parts cleaned up and in perfect condition and so on)....

I just wanted to see if anyone here has bought from him and what you thought of the setup. Normally, for the extra $55 (cash price for the guitar I want from him will be $1355) it'd be no big deal for me to buy from him, as that'd be the cost of the guitar + a normal setup anyways....

BUT here's the deal. I rarely ever buy guitars new. I usually see no reason too. The only reason I'm going to buy this one new is because it's one of the new 2008 Ibanez models and it's something I've been wanting a long time and it's exactly what I want. I already have a custom set of Bare Knuckle Pickups for it on the way and everything.

HERE is my situation. I have a friend who is good friends with a manager at a Guitar Center and will be able to get me this guitar at dealer cost... which I don't know yet exactly how much that will be... but for a $1300 retail guitar, I don't think dealer cost would be any more than $900.... so I'd be saving a pretty decent amount of money.

I asked Rich how much he'd charge to do a setup if I bought this guitar from somewhere else and sent it to him, and he said it'd be $300 + parts + return shipping.... (OUCH!)

So... I'm thinking about possibly just buying it from Rich, and I'm mainly making this post to hear firsthand experience about just how good his setups are. Do you think it'd be worth it in my case? Just looking for honest opinions here...

Or if you guys know of anybody who else who does EXCELLENT, full intensive setups on guitars (for less than $350ish like this guy) that I could send to, let me know about that.

• Members

A $300 setup? {censored} NO! You could get it plecked for less than that.

Yeah, I think he said that just to discourage me from buying it from someone else.

But his prices are fair for retail. If you buy it from him, it's only $55 more than retail including a really intensive setup.

But about it being pleck'd, where and for how much $$$?

• Members

What could he possibly do in a setup that costs $300? What "parts" is he including in that $300 bucks? I would just say save some money and get it set up at a shop. Those techs are going to be just as competent as he is I would say. Just go some place that you trust. I live near a small city and there are two shops that I know could set up a guitar to play like a dream, and it sure wouldn't cost that much, even if he was trying to discourage you and it really is cheaper, you would still be saving $.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

I would not pay the extra for Rich. I'd get the guitar for the lower price and then, if needed, find a tech to set it up.

I got a JS1200 from Rich. While it played nice, it wasn't set up any better than any other guitar I've bought.

I assume you are getting a Prestige model. I just got an RG1570 from MF. So this would have been set up at the factory before I got it. I wasn't set up bad at all. It needed a slight truss rod adjustment, very minor action adjustment, and intonation. All in all, with putting new stings on it first, it took about 1.5 hours.

Rich is a salesman. No offense intended to any sales people here. He is going to try and encourage you to buy from him. If that requires him streching the truth a bit about how bad these guitars are from the factory and that they need his "loving care", he is going to do it.

• Members

On another note, this guy to seems to be the only source for ibanez trem parts. Anyone know another place to get replacement parts for a low pro edge trem?

Any decent Ibanez dealer can order parts for you. Anything to not have to deal with that ego-freak Rich. As much as Rich charges for crap, you'd be better off buying an entire trem on eBay and then selling off the pieces you don't need and making a little profit while at it.

By the way, what do you need for a low pro edge? I have some parts lying around.

• Members

I think he works out of the philly area, i almost used him once. He is very reputable and will talk your {censored}ing ear off on the phone. I wound up not sending my guitar there because i found somebody local who does the job well enough. But he knows his {censored} and i had heard really good things about him before i spoke with him personally.

• Members

Any decent Ibanez dealer can order parts for you. Anything to not have to deal with that ego-freak Rich. As much as Rich charges for crap, you'd be better off buying an entire trem on eBay and then selling off the pieces you don't need and making a little profit while at it.

By the way, what do you need for a low pro edge? I have some parts lying around.

Cool, it seems OFR parts are so much easier to get as far as parts suppliers online. I avoid Ibanez guitars with trems because of this issue.

I have a low edge pro edge 7 and was actually looking for replacement tops for the locking nut.

Archived