What's your choice of guitar picks?

Sandman31774

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use Tortex green or purple most of the time. I dont go thinner than the yellows.

I like the Cool ones, though I wear them out quick. The textured grip is nice.

I just picked up some Planet Waves which have a rubber design in them. The blue (medium?) ones break easy. The black (heavy) seem ok. The rubber design barely adds grip.

I just got some Martin .96mm and they are slip-er-y, not good for me.

In then end it really doesnt matter much, I like them thick thats about it.

• Members

Got a ton of different picks but I think the one that helps me bring the brutal squealies most is the Black Jazz III...

I let the guy at GC talk me into buying some others wehn I picked up my last lot,same shape, maybe brownish...tortex?....meh, like holding chalk..which I guess is great when you sweat but deader sounding.

• Members
img10402619602.jpeg

IMO, the definitive pick for alternate picking. It just rolls off the strings so well. The attack is very precise. For distorted rythm and lead, this is my choice. It does rob some high end and doesn't have the snappy tone of the tortex.

For clean, I go for something with more snap to the tone.

GATOR%20STD.jpg

The Gator .96 is my choice. It sounds fantastic for clean chords and is the best feeling pick I've ever held. The texture of the pick is really great.

• Members

i've gone back to dunlop 2.0 the super thick grayish one. i had switched to a cymbalic brass pick that i loved for travis bean type tones, but the metal pick just ate up my strings. in two practices i'd have to restring. love the tone. i'll use it for recording purposes when we double track. other than that. nah. the dunlops rule for me.

• Members

i like those stubbies-- but i can't hold on to 'em! lost half my right thumb in a skil saw accident about 5 years back-- so now i gotta grip stuff with one of those groove tubes weighted pick grippy things i like to call 'rock spatulas'.

i've used to use .88 tortexes for YEARS.. but i swapped out to nylons cause they lasted longer.. just switched back, but to 1.18 tortexes... much mo better.. nicer attack.

• Members

I don't even know how to hold that pick. When I worked at Long and McQuades in the mid 90s, I used to call it the rooster pick. I've only seen one guy buy a set of 3 "just to try out". Does the feathery end serve a purpose?

Lol I don't use those picks. I just found them while looking for mine. I couldn't help but post them here.

• Members

160647.jpg

I use these. Green tortex Jazz III (.88)

I was using these:

PK474-100_sm_.jpg

it's the clear stubby (1mm) but they're just too damned slippery and they don't have the same attack as the tortex because they're just smooth plastic.

Archived