What punk band had/has the best tone?

DirtyOldRug

• Members

In general...why?....is there a difference?

My band is playing London Dungeon and I can barely tell what chords they are playing it's so bad. I know it's in E...sloppy as {censored} and horrible tone.

I think it's the live version I have but I am forgiving in that regard..still sucks.

Huge difference though london dungeon is from the vastly prefered earlier version. The Misfits have horrible tone, they have some good songs if you are into very minimalist punk as the musicianship is also poor. Kind of like a Jim Morrison/Elvis amalgam fronting a crappy version of the first Ramones album, the end of the original Misfits (Earth AD) was more or less early Hardcore.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Guess it depends on how you define "punk".

Eyeliner?

Fake British accents?

Does 3 chords make it punk?

I dunno.....seems a little radio friendly and suburbian for real punk...imho.

the guy who doesn't know anything about the Misfits decides what is "real punk" thats a trip.

• Members

I didn't want to go through every page but if nobody has listed this band. IMO I think they have some of the best tones.

Jawbreaker "Dear You" recorded by Rob Cavallo and he even stated that this is one of the best guitar tones he's done that he still this doesn't know how he did it til this day.

• Members

I didn't want to go through every page but if nobody has listed this band. IMO I think they have some of the best tones.

Jawbreaker "Dear You" recorded by Rob Cavallo and he even stated that this is one of the best guitar tones he's done that he still this doesn't know how he did it til this day.

There are so many layers of guitars on that album, the production is nothing short of accidental bliss.

• Members

I totally forgot about them, but while I was listening to ALK3's God Dammit, I have to say, they had damn good tone. I wanna say Matt Skiba used a cranked Plexi on that album or a MV JMP. And live, his tone is {censored}ing monstrous. I saw them 2 years ago with Against Me! and he was running a Bogner Uberschall and a Diezel VH4 through Uberkabs in stereo. Beefiest punk tone I've ever heard, hands down.

• Members
Contradictions in terms. The crappy-er you sounded more punk you were.

Punks hardly could be bothered with something that resembled giving a flying -@#$% about what anyone thought of your sound. Once they started caring they ceased being punk.

:rolleyes:

oh no, punk changed and evolved. Its not all 3 chords anymore, it sucks :eek:

• Members

Eyeliner?

Fake British accents?

Ooooohhh maaannnn....7 pages before the Punk police came out.

I think that's a record!:cop:

• Members
Ooooohhh maaannnn....7 pages before the Punk police came out.

I think that's a record!
:cop:

Oh...don't flatter yourself that much. I know you think you're pretty clever with that response.

I'm no punk police...I asked a simple question. And that answer might indeed be "YES!"

Dont; you think it's okay to check the criteria first, even though I stated it in some jest.

But no....you went on the punk police police instead. Oh sweet irony, where art thou.

• Members

Eyeliner?

Fake British accents?

Seemed like you were comfortable catagorizing and compartmentalizing things here. You made these rules not me, for all I care if some kid wants to call Sum41 and Blink 182 punk then more power to them.

• Members

Eight pages and only two mentions of

1) any good punk tones

2) any good punk bands

I say Dillinger Four for the win.

Seconded by the Beatsteaks

Thirded by the now defunct McClusky

C'mon people, pull up yr {censored}in' socks, wipe the sand out of yr Vaginas and turn on some good punk every once in a while.

And yes, the Refused had phenomenal tone, aswell.

• Members

Steve

you have our old cut on Mystic, Vicious Cycle or cops on my back??

one was on the copulation album..

I used to have the We Got Power comp. but sold it I think a long time ago. I have no Mystic stuff. I think Doug Moody the thief is putting most of that stuff on CD though:)

Archived