Help me figure out how to convert my amps into a better amp... please.

Cheese Grits

• Members

I currently have a 1968 Fender Bronco (like a blackface vibrochamp) and a recent Ampeg SJ12R. I really like the cleans on the Ampeg, but at 50 watts, it's louder than hell to crank it. I like fiddling with the Bronco, and I like owning a piece of history, but I don't think it is a very practical amp for me.

I would really like one amp that I could gig with, and I'm looking for blues/country/classic rock tones. I would also like to be able to get power amp distortion at volumes reasonable for recording. I don't have a preference between combo and head, but I would ideally like something point-to-point wired, because I would like to keep it for a lifetime and have it be easy to service or mod. I'm flexible on PTP wiring, however.

My options seem to be:

• Modify my Ampeg with a pentode/triode switch, which would effectively give me a 25/50 watt amp. Still printed circuit board however, and I'm not crazy about the reverb. Plus, this is probably a $300 amp, and modding it would cost about 1/4 of the value of the amp. Not a great choice.

• Sell both amps and buy something better. But what?

I figure I could get maybe $700 out of both amps (I've seen '98 Broncos sell for almost $500 on eBay).

Is the answer really just take the $700 (plus maybe a little extra) and buy a silverface fender? Maybe a 50 watt Bassman or a Deluxe Reverb? I could mod the Bassman I suppose.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance! :wave:

• Members

sounds to me like a silverface deluxe reverb would fit the bill perfectly. Loud enough, but definitly crankable. great cleans like the ampeg, maybe a little less boxy than the bronco but with a similar style breakup.

also check out the old traynor ygm-3 if you see one pop up. similar to the deluxe reverb, but el-34.

• Members

I think to satisfy all your criteria, you pretty much are looking in boutique territory.

A Deluxe Reverb definitely comes to mind, but i'm not sure you would be able to find a vintage one in your budget.

If you do alot of shopping around and/or dont' mind a "project" amp, I think an early SF Deluxe reverb would be just about what you're looking for.

• Members

meh i read it,PTP is something i think guys just like to say........play what sounds good.....and yes the BV-120 pwns

Well, it's a feature, so some people will just want it because they want it. But, when it's time to take your amp in to the tech, they always seem happier to work on the PTP stuff. Having built a couple of stomp boxes, I could understand why.

I have already acknowledged that PCB stuff can sound really nice, like my Ampeg for example, but it's getting noisy and has a couple of other issues I'd like to correct. When I called the amp tech and said I'd like to do a couple of mods, he told me that he is limited in what he can do to my PCB amp. So, all things being equal, I'd rather have PTP. I think this especially makes sense if you are planning on keeping the amp for a couple of decades.

That's all.

• Members

There's some fairly simple kits out there, and you can tweak the tone stack to your liking. 15-18 watts sounds like the perfect range for you. Ever thought about building a kit?

That's not a bad idea, actually. I hadn't thought of it very recently. Thanks for the suggestion. Who do you recommend? Weber? Allen? I'm sure there are a bunch out there.

• Members

I wonder if I could buy a deluxe reverb kit and build it into my existing Ampeg cabinet? That would be pretty cheap. Like $300 or something? It would also be kind of half-assed, I guess.

Those weber kits look pretty slick. For about $600, I could build a lot of amp, including the speaker and cabinet. There is a really great amp tech right next door to my place, so I imagine that I could get him to sort through the final product to give me a thumbs up or fix any little issues.

Good suggestions, guys. Thanks. :wave:

• Members

The DR is not an easy build due to the vibrato and reverb.

If I were you, I'd look at a 5E3 and build it into a 2x12 cab. The 2x12 will give you a hair more volume, and the 5E3 circuit is a BEAUTIFUL circuit. With a 12AT7 in V1, it'll stay a bit cleaner, and with a 12AX7, it'll get a bit more hair.

PTP kits can be found through Weber or Ceriatone, or you could look at Mission or Marsh.

• Members

The DR is not an easy build due to the vibrato and reverb.

If I were you, I'd look at a 5E3 and build it into a 2x12 cab. The 2x12 will give you a hair more volume, and the 5E3 circuit is a BEAUTIFUL circuit. With a 12AT7 in V1, it'll stay a bit cleaner, and with a 12AX7, it'll get a bit more hair.

PTP kits can be found through Weber or Ceriatone, or you could look at Mission or Marsh.

If I were to build a 5E3, I suppose I could just use an external reverb and tremolo. Or maybe a good amp tech could add a reverb pan after the fact? I don't know that I have ever heard a really good reverb stompbox.

• Members

Are you really wanting 'verb and trem? If so, the DR would be a better fit due to the circuit, but I definitely wouldn't make it my first build (if you want a PTP and don't want to buy the Fender RI).

Verb, yes. There are plenty of good trem pedals out there, so I don't really think it is necessary to have one built into the amp.

• Members
I currently have a 1968 Fender Bronco (like a blackface vibrochamp) and a recent Ampeg SJ12R. I really like the cleans on the Ampeg, but at 50 watts, it's louder than hell to crank it. I like fiddling with the Bronco, and I like owning a piece of history, but I don't think it is a very practical amp for me.

I would really like one amp that I could gig with, and I'm looking for blues/country/classic rock tones. I would also like to be able to get power amp distortion at volumes reasonable for recording. I don't have a preference between combo and head, but I would ideally like something point-to-point wired, because I would like to keep it for a lifetime and have it be easy to service or mod. I'm flexible on PTP wiring, however.

My options seem to be:

• Members

Are you tech savvy? If so, you could probably add 'verb to the 5E3 and get the best of both worlds (Tweed Fenders distort much better to my ears than BF Fenders).

That sounds like a pretty good plan.

Actually, I would probably just build the amp, see how happy I was with it, and try an external verb first. With a good delay pedal, it should sound pretty natural.

• Members

That's not a bad idea, actually. I hadn't thought of it very recently. Thanks for the suggestion. Who do you recommend? Weber? Allen? I'm sure there are a bunch out there.

I'm kind of a dolt on that stuff, as I've never built one. I know that one of the manufacturers provides excellent support--email help line, forum, etc.--as well as slightly better parts, but you pay a premium. The other, cheaper kits need a few upgrades in caps and stuff, but not too bad (again, from what I've read).

Some names for you....Mission, Weber, 18watt.com, the ax7 (???) board

Archived