Battle of the Peaveys

sirlimecat

• Members

I'd be tempted to take the half stack and then sell or trade off the head for a 5150/6505 head. I'm not into the combos much. But if you like the way the combo sounds and it's loud enough for you maybe it'd be a good idea to keep it. Maybe you'd like the way the Triple XXX sounds more, too.

• Members

I like the 6505 better for what I play but the XXX is also nice. They should both be able to do the type of music you play with no problem. The 6505 just sounds meaner to my ears. Before you get rid of the 6505 swap out the power tubes for JJs and also try a JJ in V1 of your preamp. Boost it with a badmonkey and play through V30s and the tone will bring the metal gods to their knees... IMO :) . Try both and take the one that fits you best.

• Members

Ehh........that's a tricky one. XXX's usually go for 600-700(used) for the head. I guess you could do the trade, and sell the head straight out and keep the cab, and buy yourself a 5150 head for around 600-700 (If you looked hard enough, you may not get that lucky as the prices on them have been slowly rising imo). But then you're stuck with a peavey cab loaded with {censored}ty speakers, so you'd wanna do yourself a favor and ditch the sheffields for some Hellatone 60's from avatar.

It's up to you in the end. There are possibilities though. You're probably gonna have to shell out a bit more money in the end to get something you want...but 5150 head running through a cab with some V30s is going to sound infinitely better than the 5150/6505 combos imo. I never liked their sound. Clean was usually a tad better, but I felt the distortion truly lacked compared to their head counterparts.

• Members

I would do this:

Take the trade and get the TripleX half-stack. Sell the cabinet because the matching Peavey cab is god awful for that head. Use the money to get yourself a decent cabinet like a Mesa or something (can get them used for only a few hundred bucks) and your tone will improve by leaps and bounds.

The thing about Peavey is that their speakers are god awful. Playing a 6505 combo, you are forced to use their built-in enclosure. I'd take the head then upgrade to better speakers. Would get you the best results.

• Members

I would do this:

Take the trade and get the TripleX half-stack. Sell the cabinet because the matching Peavey cab is god awful for that head. Use the money to get yourself a decent cabinet like a Mesa or something (can get them used for only a few hundred bucks) and your tone will improve by leaps and bounds.

The thing about Peavey is that their speakers are god awful. Playing a 6505 combo, you are forced to use their built-in enclosure. I'd take the head then upgrade to better speakers. Would get you the best results.

+1. I'd take the half stack trade over the combo. You could then decide what to do about your head or cab from there.

• Members

Take the trade. The XXX is a more versatile amp, and no less capable of awesome metal tones than the 5150/6505. As far as the Peavey cabs, I actually have had fine results with them, but that's with the old Ultra cabs. Still Sheffield speakers, although possibly a different model than on the XXX cabs.

• Members

Ive tried a XX and i own a 6505+. I have to say i prefer the 6505+ a ton more. It sounds a lot thicker in my opinion, and it seems to have more gain in my opinion.

Peavey Cabs do suck. I have a Marshall 1960A 4x12 cab and i toyed with the idea of selling it and buying the marching cab for my head. Well i played one with my head at a friends house and it was horrible.

I never knew different speakers made that much difference. It sounded really thin and really high pitched.

• Members

I have a XXX head, a 5150 combo and a 5150 head. I like the 5150 Combo a lot.. It sounds great through all types of speakers. I havent had a speaker that didnt sound great with my 5150 combo... The 5150 head does have some more low end grind to it for sure, but I can get em to be pretty similar.. The XXX is actually flexible and can get many tones.. BUt YOU NEED an EQ in the loop to complete the XXX.. WIthout it, it just doesnt get all the way there IMO.. And so far Im not digging the way the XXX sounds thru my 4x12 (Legend V12's and Vintage 30's) It sounds good, but the 5150 just sounds so much better..

They are all cool in there own way, but I like the 5150's better for sure, either the head or combo..

• Members
Take the trade. The XXX is a more versatile amp, and no less capable of awesome metal tones than the 5150/6505. As far as the Peavey cabs, I actually have had fine results with them, but that's with the old Ultra cabs. Still Sheffield speakers, although possibly a different model than on the XXX cabs.

I actually played through an older cab(Sheffields)yesterday and was surprised how good the bass response was. The cab was pretty solidly built as well. I've played newer Peavey cabs and hated them. This older one(early 90s, I think) sounded pretty damned good IMO! I had the "Sheffield" name on the bottom if that helps identify it.
:)

Archived