No headphones. Can anyone tell me if my final master is clipping?

thefyn

• Members

FWIW, I just re-listened and I'm not sure that the bass ever goes down in the mix after that "solo". It's equally dominant throughout the piece, partially due to that punchy tone. And the keys definitely sound "keyboard" not piano. Vocals definitely have too much verb and even if you don't want to track the whole thing again, the fact that by the 5th word your singer is way out of pitch and holding it out of pitch is bad. At least retake the first line so it's delivered strong.

• Members

I agree.

For the sake of interest, what is the bass player using? I'm curious because that's a punchy as hell sound. Fender P? MusicMan? Was it recorded DI through a box?

Bass is straight up Modulus. There is a phase effects added in the beginning riff. It was direct.

The funny part is I am cutting that out from the demo we send to the press/record labels/ etc as no one is going to wait one min and 10 seconds before the vocals come in. It will be in the bin before that as A&R people are have so much to listen to. It will be on the album though and live.

• Members

Why ask us to listen for clipping? You should be able to see it on the meter.

It looked like I was pushing it a little on the meter but it never maxed out. I was just paranoid about not having headphones to check for crispys.

• Members

FWIW, I just re-listened and I'm not sure that the bass ever goes down in the mix after that "solo". It's equally dominant throughout the piece, partially due to that punchy tone. And the keys definitely sound "keyboard" not piano. Vocals definitely have too much verb and even if you don't want to track the whole thing again, the fact that by the 5th word your singer is way out of pitch and holding it out of pitch is bad. At least retake the first line so it's delivered strong.

You are loving this arnt you Punky? Giving your opinion? Even though I have clearly stated I am past listening to peoples opinion?

you need to work on your "reading comprehension"

I asked was it clipping?

• Members
Same goes with my last 20 mixes...
:mad:

There has to be a cut off point before I go insane.

I'm sorry I'm driving you insane. I'm just saying, if you're sending this to a label, you don't want the first line of your song to be sung out of tune.

I guess I'm suddenly the clip police because I said I think the bass is too strong and the vocals are out of tune right from the first line?

The piano thing is nitpicky, but while I'm listening, why not mention it? I couldn't at this stage of the game record and mix something that sounds even that good, but while you can, why not work on it until it's right.

Like someone above said, it's not a good mix unless everyone is unhappy.

• Members
I'm sorry I'm driving you insane.
I'm just saying, if you're sending this to a label, you don't want the first line of your song to be sung out of tune.

I guess I'm suddenly the clip police because I said I think the bass is too strong and the vocals are out of tune right from the first line?

The piano thing is nitpicky, but while I'm listening, why not mention it? I couldn't at this stage of the game record and mix something that sounds even that good, but while you can, why not work on it until it's right.

Like someone above said, it's not a good mix unless everyone is unhappy.

We have icepicky songs on the album. This is a smooth one. Lots of bass. Who cares??? I was asking was it clipping?

How can you start off with "I'm sorry" then rehash all the {censored} that irritated me in the following paragraph? Because you are AtariPUNK thats why...Lingering behind me like a bad fart in various threads.

Try this one:

"I'm sorry. I am an annoying opinionated douche who is taking pot shots at you because we have clashed in other threads."

A much better apology. :love::love::love:

• Members

Whoa there.. you're the one who follows me around... I listened to a mix and gave my opinion.

I've never played a Modulus bass but hear very nice things. I hope you're this mad at your singer. When I played with friends that had a {censored} singer, I was pretty ticked. I left a band that had great music this summer after 5 rehearsals because I was sick of hearing how much better the singer was than he sounded... he sucked. You're guy isn't terrible, just sounds like he has no idea how to find a note and could use a little help when recording. I think this sounds like you took way too much time to not care about somethign like that.

• Members

Whoa there.. you're the one who follows me around... i listened to a mix and gave my opinion.

I've never played a Modulus bass but hear very nice things.

I'm sorry

I didn't mean to say that you are the new megadeth8274 of the forum and didn't listen to the opening rant on how I am not interested in people opinion of the mix. Then threw out one of your "reading comprehension" put downs you give to HC members that don't agree with you as an ironic twist. (braces myself for the usual wounded Atari routine)

Apologizing is good. Really mends bridges. It's good to be humble.

• Members

Dude, I hear ya! I wasn't trying to be mean, though.

I'm the same way. If I keep tweaking until it sounds perfect, I'd never get a project finished.

I will tweak the dead horse into reanimation. I do think I need to sort out my MP3 converting program. It has lost sparkle. Any suggestions?

• Members
I've never played a Modulus bass but hear very nice things. I hope you're this mad at your singer. When I played with friends that had a {censored} singer, I was pretty ticked.

Yeah right you have "heard very nice things" about a Modulus. I see past your bull{censored} Atari. You have probably never even had a single conversation about a Modulus.

You do what you always do "search engine seek and destroy".

:lol::lol::lol:

Archived