Anyone Here a Rock Vocalist?

jseldis

• Members

Hi everyone,

I'm in a band, and we're playing covers at the moment to become tighter but i'm the vocalist, and as we move onto some other newer original stuff it would be nice to incorporate certain elements of what we've done before into our songs.

So

i need to learn to scream. I've got a powerful, deep voice, and would love to be able to scream like this;

He's a good vocalist, and i'd love to be able to let a big scream rip like him.

So..anyone able to do this?

Any tips?

When i try to, it's always way too high...should i aim for a note?

Josh

• Members
Hi everyone,

I'm in a band, and we're playing covers at the moment to become tighter but i'm the vocalist, and as we move onto some other newer original stuff it would be nice to incorporate certain elements of what we've done before into our songs.

So

i need to learn to scream. I've got a powerful, deep voice, and would love to be able to scream like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmHY9FQS9Zw&feature=related

Any tips?

Josh

Its good to aim for a note in the proper key!:thu::freak:

• Members

i'm a vocalist, and i really don't recommend using this guy as a model for your voice

when one screams, it's pretty rare to aim for a note

not really supposed to be a super musical sound

i don't really know what to tell you

maybe you just don't have enough balls to get into the lower registers with screaming?

• Members

I disagree. Listen to Daltry on WON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN for example. Definitely in key on the scream.

...ugh... there are types of screams (i.e. in "The Number of the Beast") which are meant to hit a certain note. There are types of screams (i.e. in most death metal/black metal/grindcore/metalcore/etc) which are NOT meant to hit any note.

A growl or a scream, in the metal/hardcore sense, doesn't really have a pitch. I suppose in some sense it does, but no more than, say, a snare drum, bass drum, or a cymbal has a pitch. It is a sound, not a note.

• Members
...ugh... there are types of screams (i.e. in "The Number of the Beast") which are meant to hit a certain note. There are types of screams (i.e. in most death metal/black metal/grindcore/metalcore/etc) which are NOT meant to hit any note.

A growl or a scream, in the metal/hardcore sense, doesn't really have a pitch. I suppose in some sense it does, but no more than, say, a snare drum, bass drum, or a cymbal has a pitch. It is a sound, not a note.

Kinda makes the title of the thread pretty misleading, huh?

• Members

Not sure I've heard any clips that bad in these forums.

haha, classic. It's all opinion, dude. Stop being such a {censored}ing elitist. Just becase you've been here years, and you waste the majority of your life posting on here, doesn't mean your opinion matters more than anyone else's.

It would have been fair just to say 'Not my cup of tea' and leave it.

Prick.

• Members

haha, classic. It's all opinion, dude. Stop being such a {censored}ing elitist. Just becase you've been here years, and you waste the majority of your life posting on here, doesn't mean your opinion matters more than anyone else's.

It would have been fair just to say 'Not my cup of tea' and leave it.

Prick.

Did you see that kid in the crowd with the mask on? I'd be embarrassed to be seen there too!

• Members

Hi everyone,

So

Any tips?

Josh

Buy or pirate Melissa Cross's Zen of Screaming one and two, helped me a lot. I can know sing like I did before and even sing death metal except now I don't hurt my throat. I highly recommend you check it out, it's helped me a ton and not just for hard rock/metal vocals but just with singing in general.

Archived