AC15 question

rossowj

• Members

somewhere in the vicinity of 3 DB quieter, all other things being equal, providing that the AC is actually putting out exactly 15 watts, and the MG is putting out exactly 30 watts. Basically, the AC will be loud enough for you I would assume, but its gonna have quite a bit different tonal quality than what you have been using, hopefully you know what you're getting here.

• Members

somewhere in the vicinity of 3 DB quieter, all other things being equal, providing that the AC is actually putting out exactly 15 watts, and the MG is putting out exactly 30 watts. Basically, the AC will be loud enough for you I would assume, but its gonna have quite a bit different tonal quality than what you have been using, hopefully you know what you're getting here.

yeah i'm pretty sure i do. I'm looking for a british crunch, i think that the dirty channel of the AC15 will provide me with this?

• Members

yeah i'm pretty sure i do. I'm looking for a british crunch, i think that the dirty channel of the AC15 will provide me with this?

"British crunch" usually means Marshall. Voxes are much more smooth when they break up, ala Brian May.

i'd recommend saving a bit more coin and buying a real Marshall tube head.

• Members

Just get a AC15CC1 and put a Greenback and some hot JJ tubes in it and you will get the tone you are looking for.

AC15s are VERY loud little amps and have a much better clean tone than a Marshall.

Agreed.

Keep in mind as well that the Marshall you have now doesn't use any tubes, and tube watts are usually rated a little lower than solid state.

You'll probably find that the Vox might even get louder than your Marshall when fully cranked, but don't expect your cleans to be very loud.

• Members

somewhere in the vicinity of 3 DB quieter,

It's actually more likely that it's twice as loud.

Those dinky little practice combos are not loud amps. There's a hell of a lot more to it than the power rating.

Either way, it's a million times clearer and more articulate, so it would walk all over an MG.

• Members

The AC15 has a smooth breakup that compresses at higher volumes, but is still articulate and does not sound muddy.

The Marshall MGs are solid state and have distortion rather than tube break up. When they are loud they do not compress and are not articulate.

The MGs are made for low volume practicing and feedback terribly when crancked.

I use a Weber Micro-Mass attenuator with my AC15 so I can crank it and get the saturation I want, but maintain a lower volume to save my ears.

• Members

There is no doubt about it, the AC15 is far louder than the MG30.

Watts don't mean {censored}.

• Members

There is no doubt about it, the AC15 is far louder than the MG30.

Watts don't mean {censored}.

QF-f'n-T. Watts aren't a horribly great indicator of volume. Speaker efficiency, output transformers, and the design of the amp itself- some amps are just plain louder- have a lot to do with it. (Anyone who's ever played a 50 watt Marshall from the '70s should know this!)

A 15 watt Vox with an Alnico Blue is going to be significantly louder than a 30 watt solid-state Marshall practice amp with a cheap speaker.

Archived