Steven Slate Drums 2.0 -- Heard of these yet?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I just heard of these lastnight and have been checking out stuff about it on the main website and on gearslutz.com and I'm really impressed with the drum samples. They are probably the best I've ever heard.... even better than the Toontracks (drumkit from hell) stuff...

I think I might have to buy them soon...

• Members

Link? Are they just samples or is there some interface/VST/RTAS that they work in (grooves and such)?

-W

They're planning on making an interface sometime in the future, but yeah right now it's just samples, but other than coming in wav format, they also come in files for the programs Drumagog and Kontakt.

• Members

Yeah he gave away some free samples a few months back.. I tried em, they are good, but when you have already EQ'ed drums, at times its hard to get them to sit in the mix and sound natural.. They usually sound very artificial. So for that reason I didnt get along with them too well.. I def. like to build all my sounds from scratch. So if I use samples, I generally prefer raw drum hits without any processing..

As far as I remember, these samples were more designed to augment original drum tracks. They werent necessarily made to be stand alone samples, although of course they can be.. They were designed with Drum Replacement in mind, thats why they only come in Drumagog formats and Kontakt apparently. I know a few months ago they said they were working on making maps for Battery and a couple other samplers, I think.

• Members

Yeah he gave away some free samples a few months back.. I tried em, they are good, but when you have already EQ'ed drums, at times its hard to get them to sit in the mix and sound natural.. They usually sound very artificial. So for that reason I didnt get along with them too well.. I def. like to build all my sounds from scratch. So if I use samples, I generally prefer raw drum hits without any processing..

As far as I remember, these samples were more designed to augment original drum tracks. They werent necessarily made to be stand alone samples, although of course they can be.. They were designed with Drum Replacement in mind, thats why they only come in Drumagog formats and Kontakt apparently. I know a few months ago they said they were working on making maps for Battery and a couple other samplers, I think.

I dunno man, yes they are preprocessed, but that's great for someone like me..... I don't have the patience to sit and tweak raw drum sounds and treat them with plugins over and over...... I don't think them being preprocessed is a bad thing at all. You just need to pick the right kind of kit for the music you're doing.... I don't think that's hard though, cause there's a wide variety of drum sounds on there.... from drums for really mellow stuff to full on death metal. Would cover anything I'd do nicely...

• Members

I dunno man, yes they are preprocessed, but that's great for someone like me..... I don't have the patience to sit and tweak raw drum sounds and treat them with plugins over and over...... I don't think them being preprocessed is a bad thing at all. You just need to pick the right kind of kit for the music you're doing.... I don't think that's hard though, cause there's a wide variety of drum sounds on there.... from drums for really mellow stuff to full on death metal. Would cover anything I'd do nicely...

You'd think... Honestly there is nothing wrong with pre-processed samples, I use them all the time for quick demos and stuff like that. Trust me, I have tried all the best processed samples in my tunes, and as great as they sound by themselves, they never quite fit just right.. I can't tell how many times, I thought I had the baddest kick or snare while the kit was solo'd only to hear them sound thin in the full mix.. If it works for you great, but honestly when you do a lot of mixing and ge tthe hang of processing raw sounds, you'll find its actually preferrable to devolop everything from the ground up..

And by no means am I saying Im great on mixing drums. Its prolly the hardest and most frustrating thing to work on, but on my last demo, I made the conscious effort to take some time and learn how to mix drums. I only used a sample on the kick while all other drums were live mic'ed. Learning this way, has helped me work with raw samples and live drums MUCH better than grabbing a nice sample and poppin it in the mix like I used to always do..

What I did, was take these professional samples and take EQ matching plug-ins and apply them to my raw samples. This will help me get the idea of what frequencies they boost or cut. Then you take this template and tweak it to fit in the mix. SOmetimes it would be similar to the matched sample, most times it was quite different.. Dont forget, every mix is different. If the sampled snare is boosted a lot at 5k and your mix has a lot goin on up there, that snare is getting buried and you end up cranking the gain.. Then when you go to master and apply Compression and limiting, the snare gets chopped off anyway.. Or you have a lot of lo-mid energy and the snares body on the smaple is centered around 200hz.. If you know the samples frequency, then you can work you mix around it. You could cut the guitars and vocals a little at 200hz, to get the snare to have more body.. Either way my point is, when working with a sample its easy to forget how to mix.. When woirking with raw samples I know exactly where a lot of the energy and EQ'ing is going on, so I dont get excess build-up at a certain frequency.. I know if I boosted 200hz on the snare a lot, I know not to boost the gits or vocals there. Its just more control when using raw samples and processing them from scratch..

• Members

Preprocessed drum sounds will kinda only get you so far though. When they're already processed like that, you'll find it harder to get them to sit in your mix, coz they're setup for whatever mix the engineer had in mind when he processed the samples. If you're using them to layer with or sound replace with an acoustic kit they might be useful. Or if all you're ever doing is making jam backing tracks or just rough demos, they might be ok. But for $200 or $330, I think I'd rather have more control over the sound.

I'm still using the original DFHS, and yeah you have to process everything yourself. But I mostly use one drum sound for my metal stuff, so I just set it all up once, and then saved it as a template. Now whenever I start up a project, I just use that template and I get a new project that's all set up with DFHS and all its processing, ready to go. :)

The new Superior 2.0 is also going to have processing built into the mixer within its own interface. I would think it's pretty safe to say they'll also be providing presets and stuff that you can just load up and go with. :)

• Members

The Slate library comes with raw samples as well as the processed stuff. Also has matching samples with just room ambience.

Really?? I didnt know that, I thought they were all processed and that was kind of his major claim, was how "great" these samples sound and how they were processed with all the best equiptment and how Slate has the ears for mixing drums..

If he offers raw sounds, then I'd be happy to check em out further..

• Members

Really?? I didnt know that, I thought they were all processed and that was kind of his major claim, was how "great" these samples sound and how they were processed with all the best equiptment and how Slate has the ears for mixing drums..

If he offers raw sounds, then I'd be happy to check em out further..

I'm not entirely correct (just did some reading in the manual).

Each sample has 4 versions (z1, z2, z3, z4).

Z1 samples are mono, with minimal overhead micing.

Z2 are stereo, same processing as Z1.

Z3 are mono, close mic'd only. There is some processing here, according to Slate to retain punch, but they are very dry.

Z4 are stereo, room ambience samples. Heavily processed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi guys. I think if you listen to our demos at
www.stevenslatedrums.com

you'll find out exactly what we offer. As you listen to the drums, keep in mind that what you hear is exactly how the samples sound out of the box, there is NO additional processing.

We currently have 36 drumkits all preset for Kontakt, all you need is Kontakt 2 or 3 and you are ready to go.

Our signature kits are models of some of the most classic drum sounds. Our currently models are:

Led Zeppelin
Nirvana
Metallica
Pantera
Tommy Lee
Greenday
Deftones
AC/DC
Dream Theater
Chilli Peppers

Check out this new Led Zeppelin demo that a customer did right out of Kontakt, no additional processing:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo2/OLDZEP7.mp3

dozens of more demos including the signature models at the site, all easily programmed out of Kontakt.

WE WILL BE COMING OUT WITH A BFD2 EXPANSION PACK SOON

For replacement guys, we conveniently made GOGs of all the samples. Hear this in many of today's new albums like P.O.D.'s new single ADDICTED on iTunes right now... or James Blunts live concert here:

http://dentynejb.imeem.com/video/7uELQLwO/dentyne_ice_james_blunt_live_at_highline_music_video/

BTW, if you haven't yet, check out Kass's soundclick for some super punchy drum tones, well done!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Just wanted to post some cool updates...:

In July we'll be coming out with an update that adds:

NRG Studio A room samples for all drums and cymbals
BFD2 Support
Standalone Player Version
Another cymbal pack

Here are some new audio demos as well programmed with Kontakt:

First a cool little drum beat and fill with:

RadioHitKit2 (rock sound, semi ambient):
http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo3/RadioHitKit1.mp3

The70sClassicKit (Dry, Vintage):
http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo3/70sClassic.mp3

GreenDay Kit (Cracky, Bright, Modern):
http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo3/Green.mp3

VintageFatty Kit (dry, vintage, thick)
http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo3/VintageFatty1.mp3

and now a beat played free hand on the keyboard that starts off soft and then SLAMS!! showing off some dynamics...

DeepRockKit (ringy, punchy, rock):
http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo3/DeepRockDynamic2.mp3

VintageDry Kit (dry, fat, vintage):
http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo3/VintageDryDynamic.mp3

CrackyMetal Kit (punchy, aggressive, metal)
http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo3/CrackyMetalDynamic.mp3

Nirvana Kit: (fat, deep, thick, rock)
http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo3/NirvanaDynamic.mp3

these are 8 kits out of the 36 we offer, hope you dig, thanks for the inquiry!

Steven

• Members

I've got them now and had them for a long while and getting better and better at using them. They really are very, very good. Also, the whole preprocessed thing isn't a big deal at all. They aren't processed in a way that would make them hard to use. You could still EQ them the way you want to fit things if you need something specific.

Archived