Solid State Backup?

unit11

• Members

I've been thinking of getting a back up solid state combo amp for a while, preferably something that can do an extension cab as well if I need it to cover for my TT head in case of some sort of technical failure. I'm thinking solid state for two reasons: reliability and price.

How much wattage do I need for a reasonable amount of volume in small to medium venues for a solid state amp? I can get by with my 15W TT, which is tube, just fine, but obviously 15W solid state is WAAAY too little... so how much should I look at?

Or does anyone want to talk me out of using a solid state back up altogether?

EDIT: Also, I want it as a combo to make it easier to use for practice rather than dragging around my TT and Cab all over. I have a Fender Deluxe 112 Plus, but I'm just not feeling that amp anymore - plus the volume control is waaay too jumpy for me. A fairly common problem with some Fender amps, I hear?

• Members

Cube 60 is a lot of bang for the bucks. Can't get anything as good in that price range. However, it IS a solid state amp, I have one and I'm unable to get fat crunchy bluesy tones out of it no matter what pedals or EQ I use.

• Members

why don't you just throw a 5751 in the #1 preamp tube position on the fender deluxe (it's tube, right?)-- take your preamp gain down a scoch and it'll give you more leeway for your volume?

that way.. no SS necessary...

A Fender Deluxe 112+ is actually a solid state amp.

And thanks everyone for the suggestions - I'm going to start looking around at stores to play around with your suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I love my Bandit (It's one of the new ones). I did change the stock speaker. I picked up a used G12T-75 for 50 bucks and stuck in in there. It's actually my main rehearsal amp now, as well as a backup for gigs. I only drag the tube rig out for gigs. The Bandit sounds really good, especially after the speaker change. Saves wear and tear on my expensive amp, and to be frank, is actually more versatile. The tube amp is better at crunchy dynamic tones, and has more sparkle and presence, but the bandit is a darn good sounding amp. The longer I own it, the more I like it. If my tube amp suddenly blew up and I had to live with the Bandit, I'd be fine. It does the job nicely, and having an adjustable master volume boost that is foot switchable and effects for both channels, is a VERY handy feature for me personally.

• Members

I have a Fender Deluxe 112 Plus, but I'm just not feeling that amp anymore - plus the volume control is waaay too jumpy for me. A fairly common problem with some Fender amps, I hear?

You already have a not-so gawd-awful ss amp right there. It's certainly not stellar, but you could do way worse. You need, after all, a back-up, right? It's plenty loud, and yes the volume is touchy, but not really "jumpy", IMHO. This amp & a small pedal board could save your ass, and after all, you already have one.

Archived