I woke up at 5am this morning and this is what i wrote down...

guitardude24

• Members

So, i just woke up with these lyrics embedded in my brain...about a girl...

Please let me know what you guys think, and what things would benefit from a alteration or slight change...

Thanks a bunch! I'm a newby song writter, this is really my first full song lyrics...

Just Friends

Erik Hopwood

I haven

• Members

Hi Erik,

Nice work there. A few of my ideas:

Great verse one, very honest, probably the real meassage of the whole song, and the chorus needs to kick right there afterwards, to keep the masses listening.

Good follow up on lines, but you need to work in a two-line break somewhere, either vocally or instrumentally, to keep the ears happy. I'd also suggest the (inevitable) change of key for your last chorus to hold the drama to the end.

I am hearing mid-tempo, Hammond B-3, good guitars, and some passionate (not too pretty) vox on this.

I enjoyed reading this,

Best,

CC

• Members

Hey, thanks alot you guys! I'm definately digging your ideas Cosmic, i'll try messing around with it and see how it all turns out! Thanks for the advise!

Might be a little while til i actually get anything recorded...but what else is a broken hearted 17 year old to do, right?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Solid, tell it straight up lyrics. I think that works for certian types of music. Really good for your first lyrics.

As far as critique goes, I have a couple, but it is different because its your first song lyrics. Everyone's first anything is going to be basic and not up to their potential. Like think back to your first guitar riff.

Heres my critique: the lyrics could use more literary stylings, as stand alone lyrics I find them bland and predictable. One basic rule of poetry is: show dont tell. Now, I know great songs have 'told' but I am just reciting a rule I have read. I would like to see imagery, maybe an expierence that exemplifies your feelings that people can relate to and extrapolate the feelings from. An example that I like to give is the Eels song, Flower, the Chorus lyric goes: "Flower in a hail storm." Perfect, familiar (concrete) images to convey emotional (astract) feelings. Think of images and what they do. Images can be characters, not just similes.

Expand on your feelings, it seems like they kind of lingre on the superficial 'you're amazing' stage. Answer the question: why? What is amazing? Dig deep into your pain, it sounds like this is somthing that troubles you, but instead of focusing on you, you focus on her. There is seperation and love, a classic mix for great tunes (albiet somewhat cliche IMHO).

Tone of words. I believe this to be a bit extreme and a tool reserved for those who are really looking to make their lyrics shine. If youre angry, your verbs and images should reflect that (like instead of 'broke my heart,' 'she put a time bomb in my heart') If your tone is sorrow, use lamentful toned words that drip solitude and despair (think of images like being stranded, or helpless). Phrases can have many meanings, the words can say a literal meaning, then the tone can be completely distinct.

I hope this helped!! Agian, the lyrics are great for your first tune, these are just suggestions I have picked up along the way that have helped me out a lot (my girlfriend is a literature major).

blake.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Dr. Tweedbucket

..... but needs more smilies and a few exploding bombs towards the end
:)

:confused:

That's already been taken

If I'm not mistaken

When the colored sky

On a night gone awry

Showed the British we couldn't be shaken

The words that you're feeling

That sent your heart reeling

If only they could

See where you stood

Would they rejoice or help with your heeling

Roses are red...

Fuggit, I bow to the poets.

You know, Doc, I truly believe I see something sincere in your lyrics. I thought I was the only basket case around here.

Archived