need to know if my crate G40Xl speaker is 4 or 8 ohm

ibanez41z

• Members

Hi, due to my stupidity of loaning out my amp it came back with the magnet broken off off the speaker basket. i can't find any markings anywhere to tell me if it has a 4 or 8 ohm speaker and when i check crates site all it shows is the bass model lol. so anyways thats where i am at i bought this in the mid 80's and its always been my workhorse and i'm getting too old to change now. It is a crate model G40Xl with reverb any help would be wonderful thank you

• 12 years later...
  • Members
On 3/20/2008 at 3:02 PM, ibanez41z said:

Hi, due to my stupidity of loaning out my amp it came back with the magnet broken off off the speaker basket. i can't find any markings anywhere to tell me if it has a 4 or 8 ohm speaker and when i check crates site all it shows is the bass model lol. so anyways thats where i am at i bought this in the mid 80's and its always been my workhorse and i'm getting too old to change now. It is a crate model G40Xl with reverb any help would be wonderful thank you

• Moderators

You can likely replace the amp for about what a new 10" speaker would run. The speakers were always 'house labeled', so good luck...I can't even find a spec sheet on your model. I would test the output transformer's resistance value.

Crate's were funny amps from a design standpoint.  I own a VC-20 has a 12" 16ohm speaker in a 20W tube combo. Why? The OT, I guess, I've not bothered to examine it, it is my 'leave at someone's house if I play there regularly' amp...right now it is in the closet with the other amps...

Archived