Is Korn one of the greatest metal bands ever?

eroom

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll bet half the people in here bashing them loved their first album, back when it was cool to do so.

I saw Korn open for Fear Factory, Flotsam and Jetsam, and Megadeth at Red Rocks. I'd never heard of Korn, and have hated them ever since. They were terrible then, they're terrible now.

Bruce Dickinson, Dio, Ackerfelt... all great vocalists. Steven Tyler still rips it up live, even though he's as old as the invention of booze. Jonathan Davis? SUCKS. A lot. A LOT. (yes, I realize I'm being redundant).

• Members

I used to be a real big dick in high school. I terrorized those kids.

I think high school was the last time I worried about the whole "true metal"/what is "real metal" and what is for pussies thing...not to mentioned terrorized people for what they listen to. Oh wait...I never did any of that stuff even back then.

• Members

I think high school was the last time I worried about the whole "true metal"/what is "real metal" and what is for pussies thing...not to mentioned terrorized people for what they listen to.

Yeah that's why I don't inflict bodily harm for such offenses anymore, but when people are so flamboyant with it now a days, it's really hard to let them wallow in sillyness without saying anything.

• Members

Yeah that's why I don't inflict bodily harm for such offenses anymore, but when people are so flamboyant with it now a days, it's
really
hard to let them wallow in sillyness without saying anything.

Why would you care? Why not simply let people like and listen to whatever they want and be happy that people are enjoying music? Why do you get so pissed off whenever somebody doesn't like exactly the same narrow field of whatever sub-genre of metal that you like?

ANd honestly for the most part I like talking to on this board...but man you are just really {censored}ing militant and intolerant of anybody that doesn't like exactly the same metal as you...

• Members

I'll bet half the people in here bashing them loved their first album, back when it was cool to do so.

I loved the song blind when I first heard it. It was intense. I also was fascinated with the fact that they were plugging in a 7 string Ibanez into a H&K Triamp. They made me want that amp. Eventually I was only able afford the Duotone later on.

I didn't pay too much attention to them after that. Once Follow the Leader came out I couldn't stomach them for {censored} because all the goddamn radio stations were ramming them down listners throats and were playing them every hour on the hour. What a horrible time for hard music. Plus that huge piece of {censored}, Fred Durst, was featured on that album and when they associated themselves with that {censored} I just flat out ignored everything else they put out.

I'm sure the gig payed really well but I was seriously disappointed in Terry Bozzio and Joey Jordison for playing drums for them. Their styles/abillites just overshadowed the rest of the musicianship in the band.

• Members

Why would you care? Why not simply let people like and listen to whatever they want and be happy that people are enjoying music? Why do you get so pissed off whenever somebody doesn't like exactly the same narrow field of whatever sub-genre of metal that you like?

ANd honestly for the most part I like talking to on this board...but man you are just really {censored}ing militant and intolerant of anybody that doesn't like exactly the same metal as you...

It's called being in high school, yeah I was stupid.

But you're all grown up now, you should know better.

• Members

Come on man, it's not like you have to be a martyr..

?

You laughed at the first 5 posts....then suggested that anyone who likes Korn should commit suicide. But then you turn around and basically tell people that they are being too defensive.

• Members

This thread is too funny. Jonathan Davis and Chino Moreno couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. JD bites Patton's style and Munky and Head played rehashed Bungle riffs in drop Qb. They were original in the respect that no one sounded like them at the time. I mean seriously best ever? LMAO.:rolleyes::bor:

• Members

First two albums are great. Everything after that...not so great. First album WAS groundbreaking whether you like it or not.

I agree with you 100%

I remember being a kid during the alternative era and seeing guitar players get booed off the stage for playing a solo. During the early-mid 90s the un-coolest thing a guitar player could be was a shredder.

Korn first started getting underground notoriety right around the time that Cobain committed suicide. The seattle scene was basically dead with Kurt and Korn sounded like the next thing. They were darker, deeper and heavier than the alternative bands yet they were definately different than the un-cool 80s metal shredder types.

So guys who are younger might not understand...and guys who are older might not understand...but if you were Gen X at that time then Korn makes perfect sense (even if you're not a fan) just because of the dominant Gen X culture and attitude of the day.

Archived