Can YOU tell the difference between tube and digital?

mparsons

• Members

These threads totally miss the point. Recording wise, you can make a POD sound amazing if you tweak it enough. Its in a live setting at high volumes that tubes totally rape digital technology in sound, harmonics, and touch response.

exactly. When I record I rely on a GSP1101 - totally digital. Easy to use and gets great sound without having to worry about microphone placement etc..

Now run that through a power amp and speakers and compare that to my Twin or GA40, and there is no way the GSP1101 will stand a chance in terms of overtones, harmonics and overall richness and depth.

Each has its uses. For some reason people either love one and hate the other. I love both, as each has advantages and disadvantages.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Funny that everyone is telling me the recording sucks... It's only a rough track, one track on each side and no bass. Not mastered or EQed at all. For blackened power metal, the tones are good considering its raw.

I'll reveal the answer after a couple more guesses.

• Members

Funny that everyone is telling me the recording sucks...

Not me :idk:

Not mastered or EQed at all. For blackened power metal, the tones are good considering its raw.

but for telling the difference between tube and digital, they suck :cop: No one ever claimed that it was impossible to dial in a sucky tone with a tube amp :idea::p

• Members

and for the record, picking a fuzzy actually quite solid-state-like tube amp for the comparison was pretty lame. put that {censored} against a really tubey tube amp and itll be even more different. not to mention the hd is pretty much as good as solid state gets and the peavey is actually pretty cheap for a tube amp.

You mean like when shredi had the entire forum and the mesa boogie forum convinced his vetta was a boogie for a couple of days before he spilled the beans ?:idea:

• Members

These kinds of tests are useless and stupid (no offense to the OP, it was kind of neat seeing a bunch of people assuming that the worse sounding one was SS and picking the best sounding one as tube).

What would be a lot more interesting would just be a bunch of A/B clips of the same songs played on a good tube setup and a good SS setup, dialed in to sound their maximum individually. Then, instead of asking 'Which is SS and which is tube?' instead ask "Which one do you think sounds better?" That would take the element of "SS=Bad and Tube=Good, so Good Sounding must be Tube and Bad Sounding must be SS" out of it.

To do it correctly would, of course, require multiple genres and styles in play, because as you can see a lot of people don't think that some comparisons tell you anything (though they'll brag beforehand about being the fastest to pick the wrong one as tube with their emperor's new ears).

• Members

Nope, I can't tell the difference. You managed to make your tube amp sound as crappy as a digital one. congratulations.

:poke:

Unfortunately, this sums up about 99.99% of clips I have ever heard. It astounds me how often people post clips and name off all the multi-thousand dollar pieces of equipment they used, only to sound like they just plugged into a Pod with a bad stock patch.

And regardless, even lots of CDs with a good recording quality don't really sound "tubey" to me. If you're doing 8 tracks of guitar and stuff like that, it almost doesn't even matter what you were using. What you're hearing is largely the production, in that case. :freak:

I wish people would just take an amp that sounds nice cranked way up, and record their part once, as naturally as possible, or twice and panned apart, if it's just one guitar part and that's it. It sounds so much more lively, but everyone insists on the polar opposite...

• Members
Disappointing? I dunno, everyone getting it wrong was pretty funny for me
:D

Well, don't get me wrong, there's a touch of schadenfreude to the whole thing, but it just doesn't seem to tell much about the real differences between SS/Digital and tube. The experiment has to be designed in such a way as people don't just gravitate towards the bad track as SS and the good track as Tube, but instead have no clue which is which or even that the question is SS or Tube at all, just "which of these two similar tracks sounds better?"

To do it right, you'd have to have some interspersed comparisons that were Tube-Tube, or SS-SS, etc., not just all Tube-SS/Digital comparisons.

Hrm, I've got several modeling interfaces and a few different amps, maybe I'll do this.

• Members

To do it right, you'd have to have some interspersed comparisons that were Tube-Tube, or SS-SS, etc., not just all Tube-SS/Digital comparisons.

FWIW, as an R&D engineer, I can say that good experiment design is actually really painful to do (not to mention running it properly once its been designed)... That's why hard scientists tend to view things like psychology as retarded or non-science because it's damn near impossible to do a good study/experiment in that field, so you get all of these people presenting theories based on bogus data or unverifiable claims. This whole "Tube vs anything non-Tube" thing in guitar circles is a lot like that.

In fact, there's a fair amount of psychology involved from the get go. For example: As soon as the guy mentioned it was an SS vs. Tube test a gazillion people jumped in and immediately said it didn't matter because "they both suck". I'm sure some felt that way, but usually when someone does a "check out my tone" clip here people tend to be somewhat forgiving as long as it's not billed as a modeler or SS. Go figure. :idk:

• Members

I think we can comment on the lack of scientific or statistical rigour of any on-line test without making hackneyed statements like "hard scientists... vew... psychology as retarded or non-science." There are good and bad studies done in every field, no need to steer us so far afield :)

I'm not concerned with statistical validity - of course we're dealing with an incredibly limited segment with no effort at representational extrapolation, and many self-selection mechanisms are at work. It's more to make a point to the posters who latch onto "SS=Bad!" "Tube=Good!" as demonstrated in this thread.

• Members
exactly. When I record I rely on a GSP1101 - totally digital. Easy to use and gets great sound without having to worry about microphone placement etc..

Now run that through a power amp and speakers and compare that to my Twin or GA40, and there is no way the GSP1101 will stand a chance in terms of overtones, harmonics and overall richness and depth.

Each has its uses. For some reason people either love one and hate the other. I love both, as each has advantages and disadvantages.

nice collection of guitars :love:

• Members

I think we can comment on the lack of scientific or statistical rigour of any on-line test without making hackneyed statements like "hard scientists... vew... psychology as retarded or non-science." There are good and bad studies done in every field, no need to steer us so far afield
:)

Of course. I wasn't being critical actually (or trying to start a debate about psychology as science). I was saying that it is probably unreasonable to hold you to some kind of rigorous standard for experiment design given the context and that really pretty much any HCAF run experiments of this nature are going to be non-perfect somehow. Which you seem to agree with:

I'm not concerned with statistical validity - of course we're dealing with an incredibly limited segment with no effort at representational extrapolation, and many self-selection mechanisms are at work. It's more to make a point to the posters who latch onto "SS=Bad!" "Tube=Good!" as demonstrated in this thread.

Yes, totally agree. And that's why I brought up the fact that as soon as people heard it was a digital vs tube clip a lot of folks immediately {censored} on the entire clip in general instead of answering the question, too.

• Members

I honestly didn't have a clue in the begin of the clip, but in some parts if you listen to the pick attack you can tell which one is the peavey and which one the line 6..

To me the line 6 sounded a lot 'tighter' too for the lack of a better word.

I'd also like to add that I don't think the clip is as bad as everyone says. I kinda like it ;)

Archived