Can YOU tell the difference between tube and digital?

mparsons

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

These threads totally miss the point. Recording wise, you can make a POD sound amazing if you tweak it enough. Its in a live setting at high volumes that tubes totally rape digital technology in sound, harmonics, and touch response.

• Members
Just curious!
:D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=442291&songID=6405436

In this recording, there are drums, and two guitar tracks. Each is panned hard left and right. One is an HD147, the other is a Peavey 6505+.

Guess which is which.

The difference won't be that apparent on something this high gain; playing all 16th and 32nd notes with the gain dimed is hardly going to sound super "tubey" in either case; but the left track sounds better for what that's worth.

• Members

This recording was miced at high volumes.

The 6505+ was recorded through a Marshall 1960B cab with G12T75s. The HD147 was recorded through an Avatar 412 with CL80s. Fredman mic technique on both.

EDIT: If you listen to the entire clip, there are several sections with long held out chords.

• Members

The difference won't be that apparent on something this high gain; playing all 16th and 32nd notes with the gain dimed is hardly going to sound super "tubey" in either case; but the left track sounds better for what that's worth.

I was thinking that also. Way to heavy of a clip to do a tube vs. digital test.

• Members

These threads totally miss the point. Recording wise, you can make a POD sound amazing if you tweak it enough. Its in a live setting at high volumes that tubes totally rape digital technology in sound, harmonics, and touch response.

I think tube amps sound better in general, recorded too, but the newest SS amps are really catching up. Frankly, tube amps haven't gotten any "better" in the last 20 years; we've reached the maximum amount of distortion that will sound good.

• Members

:lol:

Maybe I should provide more background. This was a recording for a band I was in called Jenovah. We never got any farther than this. I was trying to get both mine and the other guitarists rig sounding as good as possible.

I'm not trying to trick anyone. There's no studio editing at all on these tracks. Just pure guitar tone.

• Members

I can't tell digital amp modeling nearly as easily as I can tell digital cabinet modeling. Cabinet impulse responses make digital a much, much more lively option if you ask me. And that's why the big guys in digital amp and effects modeling are all using cab IR (and reverb IR, too) now, heh.

• Members

Tubey tube versis solid statey tube? Come on, you're mad. To call something "solid state sounding" when you really just mean "bad" exposes a lack of exposure to good SS amps on your part and a bias against the amp as well.

If the terms are just like this, "Tube=good sounding" and "SS=bad sounding" then you're broadly missing the point.

• Members

Bad comparison. Neither is recorded well.

Now if Ted Templeman was a HCAF user and posted a clip of the old Van Halen tone coming out of a digital amp, recorded with whatever badass studio gear he used for the VH albums, I'd be a believer.

Archived