How Hard is it to Rewire a cab from 16 to 8 ohms?

Chrisjd

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My splawn cab is a 16 ohm cab, how hard would it be to rewire it for 8 ohms? Please list work involved and skill level necessary.

I don't think you can wire a 16 ohm 4x12 cab to 8 ohms without replacing the speakers. You can wire it to 4 ohms or 16 ohms or stereo 8 ohms - but not all 4 speakers at 16 ohms.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: LOL - guess I was right

• Members

It's not possible without changing speakers.

You can rewire to 4 ohms, but 8 ohms requires all 8 ohm speakers in series/parallel.

He said he's puttin in greenbacks (that might not have originally been in the OP). So I imagine it's probably exactly the same wiring as it is now with 8 ohm speakers in series. But I'm no EE.

• Members

Offhand I can't think of any combination of 4 speakers wired 16 ohms that could be changed to 8.

If the speakers are 16 ohms then 2 in series wired parallel to another 2 in series would give you 16 ohms. But no combo would give you 8. Four 4 ohm speakers in series would give you 16 ohms, but 2 in series parallel to another 2 in series would give you 4 ohms.

edit: I didn't read far enough to see you were replacing the speakers. Yeah, 8 ohm speakers would do it.

• Members

I want to take out the 16 ohm eminence governors and throw in 8 ohm greenbacks.

That's easy.....take a photo (or just remember) of how it was wired with the 16 ohm speakers and wire it up exactly the same way with the 8 ohm speakers.

• Members

Series/parallel. Wire each pair in parallel to make them 4 ohms, and then wire each pair in series to make it 8 ohms.

or wire each pair in series to make it 16 ohms and then wire in parallel to make 8 ohms. This sounds a lot better.

Archived