My band is being looked at by a label, what to look for???

flaming turd

• Members

Well, I posted this in the Music Biz forum, but it's pretty slow...

We just recorded the demo in my sig about two months ago, we've been together for about 9 months. We're getting what appears to be serious interest from a small start-up label, but it's one that I think could be effective. I will of course get a lawyer, but should I find one that specializes in this type of thing (music), and where would I find one? Beyond that, what should I look for in the contract myself to make sure we're not getting screwed, that getting the best deal we can?

Any tips would be great...

• Members

Does anyone really need a "small start up label" with the internets these days? :confused:

Unless they somehow have some badass distribution hook up, I don't see what the point could possibly be. You can put your stuff up for sale online and make all the profit off of it yourself as it is.

• Members
Does anyone really need a "small start up label" with the internets these days?
:confused:

Unless they somehow have some badass distribution hook up, I don't see what the point could possibly be. You can put your stuff up for sale online and make all the profit off of it yourself as it is.

Well, money for a full album, he does have dist hookups, and runs nationwide tours with major label bands. And knows lots and lots of people in the industry.

• Members

You don't need a lawyer. You probably couldn't afford anyone who is decent and knows what they are doing anyways. Read the contracts s-l-o-w-l-y and re-read them until you understand what they are saying and don't be afraid to negotiate for what you think is fair. Do not transfer ownership or assign your rights, only license your rights for a fair price. Make sure the label has some sort of performance milestones, IOW make sure they live up to their end of the bargain, and if not have clear termination language. If you agree to do something in the contract, make sure it is something you can live out. Don't risk something you aren't willing to lose.

Contracts can appear complicated but they really aren't if you use some common sense and read until you understand completely. I don't mean to discourage you from retaining a lawyer but they can be very expensive and you have to be absolutely certain that the product you are trying to sell is worth the investment.

• Members

It's a long shot but just try to get a distribution deal and advertise yourself massively on the internet (myspace, youtube, musician forums, etc).

My band has been doing this for under a year and it's worked out great for us. We're distributed in most major retailers like circuit city, best buy, amazon, target, etc. and a spike in some sales from a tour we did along with major self promotion (something record companies lack severley these days), we finally got our album available on itunes and Rhapsody.

Basically, do it yourself man. You make your own rules, record companies never outright own you, and you owe waaaaaaay less money per album/song sale when you are only tied to a distribution deal.

The only thing record companies are good for is putting you on bigger shows where a larger crowd will attend and get the word spread about your band.

Archived