Which of these amps would you buy?

Grayson73

• Members

I'm planning on buying an amp today. Which one of these would you buy?

Hughes and Kettner 60DFX new $162

Vox AD30VT-XL refurb $203

Vox AD50VT refurb $237

Fender Super Champ XD new $245

I'll be using it for everything; practice and also performing (either standalone or plugging into the main PA). I do not use any pedals so I'll need the amp to make all of the sounds.

• Members

I recommend the AD50VT. The Valvetronix series will get surprisingly close to tube tone, and after you learn to fiddle with it, you can get almost any sound you'll need.

Only downside is that there are only two programmable channels...three, if you include the Manual setting. So if your music is varied, you might have a hard time fitting all the sounds you need into those three (you can also complement the amp with a pedal of some kind...for example, I have a clean setting on the amp, but I can get a good, hard crunch with my Boss DS-1).

• Members

I recommend the AD50VT. The Valvetronix series will get surprisingly close to tube tone, and after you learn to fiddle with it, you can get almost any sound you'll need.

Only downside is that there are only two programmable channels...three, if you include the Manual setting. So if your music is varied, you might have a hard time fitting all the sounds you need into those three (you can also complement the amp with a pedal of some kind...for example, I have a clean setting on the amp, but I can get a good, hard crunch with my Boss DS-1).

+1 out of the choices I second this.

• Members

I own an AD30VT and my friend owns a 60DFX. The 60DFX does a few sounds very well but the AD30VT is much more versatile and can match the 60DFX in terms of sound quality. The 60DFX cuts through a mix much better, but I think it's because the AD30VT has a 10" speaker, if you bought the AD50VT you probably wouldn't have this problem.

• Members

Just curious but why just the 4 options? Does your music store just have these within your price range? There are {censored}loads of good amps to be had at fair prices. The vox stuff is great sounding, and as someone mentioned can com surprisingly close to overdriven tube sounds. If I was to be forced to buying an SS amp it would probly be vox. I in fact own one, and am very pleased with it. Both those vox's are good amps.

• Members

I'm planning on buying an amp today. Which one of these would you buy?

Hughes and Kettner 60DFX new $162

Vox AD30VT-XL refurb $203

Vox AD50VT refurb $237

Fender Super Champ XD new $245

I'll be using it for everything; practice and also performing (either standalone or plugging into the main PA). I do not use any pedals so I'll need the amp to make all of the sounds.

I'd save a little more and get a Vox AD60. That way you have many more options for effects and tones and you can save 32 channels, as well as punch each section in/out on each channel.

Archived