How much for a Randall RGT-100 ES Head?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

It's the Tube version of the RG100ES, I was talking with Mark Cameron about them and he said they are real close to the "good" Jose High Gain Mod. I've never played one, but would LOVE to, and yea I think $350 is a good price.

:thu:

And if you dont like it, you can send it to me ;)

• Members

It's the Tube version of the RG100ES, I was talking with Mark Cameron about them and he said they are real close to the "good" Jose High Gain Mod. I've never played one, but would LOVE to, and yea I think $350 is a good price.

And if you dont like it, you can send it to me
;)

What's the Jose High gain mod?

There's plenty of info on the RG100ES, but nothing on the RGT? :idk:

Sadly it doesn't have the footswitch....and it looks like a good 6 pronged weird thing.

You can call the shop if you're seriously interested....

www.webejamminmusic.com

• Members

yeah, the footswitches are near impossible to find. They're super weird.

I looked at the footswitch schematics for the Carvin X-100B....I could definately make one of those. The randall just looked odd. I almost bought that thing, just because it's was tube and $330.:rolleyes: Luckily I saw the Carvin.

I would have purchased your Carvin had you not sold it.:thu:

• Members

I looked at the footswitch schematics for the Carvin X-100B....I could definately make one of those. The randall just looked odd. I almost bought that thing, just because it's was tube and $330.
:rolleyes:
Luckily I saw the Carvin.

I would have purchased your Carvin had you not sold it.

The guy is reselling it. I might buy it back. If you could make me a footswitch for it.

• Members

What's the Jose High gain mod?

There's plenty of info on the RG100ES, but nothing on the RGT?
:idk:

Sadly it doesn't have the footswitch....and it looks like a good 6 pronged weird thing.

www.webejamminmusic.com

The RGT is basically a very rare tube version of the popular rg100es. i guess they just didn't make many of them or something? cause they are very rare. Randall kinda focuses on solid state, well at least through the 80's and 90's, cause that was their distinctive sound.

• Members

The RGT is basically a very rare tube version of the popular rg100es. i guess they just didn't make many of them or something? cause they are very rare. Randall kinda focuses on solid state, well at least through the 80's and 90's, cause that was their distinctive sound.

If it had the footswitch I would have bought both the Randall and the Carvin.

I'm not going to buy it, so give that shop a call....they're very nice people. Mom and Pop type of place. The owner was taking to me about how reconing speakers and repair work is "just barely keeping his snorkel above water" concerning keeping his shop afloat. I'm really trying to pass the word around to make them some money.

They had some reconed vintage Jensen speakers I almost bought as well.:love:

• Members

The guy is reselling it. I might buy it back. If you could make me a footswitch for it.

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/pdf/misc/fs36.pdf

3 switches and a couple diodes.....seems easy enough. Granted I don't know what the curved arrow line by the diode means....:lol: I could just crack open my footswitch and copy it though.:thu:

How about you let me buy it, and save yourself the grief? :D

• Members

I've searched and it doesn't seem like they even exist.
:idk:

The amp? Yes they are EXTREMELY RARE. Like I said before it's Randalls (or at least the designer at the time) take on the Jose High Gain Mod, even the RG100ES is, but in SS form, that why it has such a Marshall flavor to it. (according to Mark Cameron)

The footswitch is no biggie, the MGR one is a good deal, there also a guy on Ebay who makes new ones for them, as well as you could easily find someone with one to draw you up a schem of the connections. The connector is simply a Cinch-Jones connector you can get them from Mouser, or if you ask real nicely I may have one or two laying around.

I've also taken those old Randall and had them converted to a 1/4" standard two button Marshall style switch for like $25 at my local tech.

• Members

The amp? Yes they are EXTREMELY RARE. Like I said before it's Randalls (or at least the designer at the time) take on the Jose High Gain Mod, even the RG100ES is, but in SS form, that why it has such a Marshall flavor to it. (according to Mark Cameron)

The footswitch is no biggie, the MGR one is a good deal, there also a guy on Ebay who makes new ones for them, as well as you could easily find someone with one to draw you up a schem of the connections. The connector is simply a Cinch-Jones connector you can get them from Mouser, or if you ask real nicely I may have one or two laying around.

I've also taken those old Randall and had them converted to a 1/4" standard two button Marshall style switch for like $25 at my local tech.

I may have to buy it....just because....:lol:

I thought the gain channel sucked.....granted I didn't have a chance to crank it. The clean was really nice....even my g/f commented that is sounded really good. Normally, she doesn't care.

Will the MGR one work with the RGT properly?

I could easily solder one....I'm fairly handy with that type of stuff. I could probably rewire the amp myself too......if I knew what was what? :idk:

So you're saying you'd sell me a footswitch? How much? Are there different models?:confused:

• Members

my buddy has one of those from the late 80's/early 90's sometime, and it kicks all kinds of ass. I convinced him to drag it out of his basement after 15 years and it still sounds badass. For $350 I would be all over that man. I would say tube are in order, because my friends OD channel sounded pretty sick, boosted with an OD808 and the thing screamed.

• Members

my buddy has one of those from the late 80's/early 90's sometime, and it kicks all kinds of ass. I convinced him to drag it out of his basement after 15 years and it still sounds badass. For $350 I would be all over that man. I would say tube are in order, because my friends OD channel sounded pretty sick, boosted with an OD808 and the thing screamed.

The OD sounded fizzy to me. It looked like it had GT power tubes....that's all I could see through the back grill.

Screamed how? 80's metal scream or thrash type scream?

• Members

Oh...well, I'll just get the Randall one....if the amp is still available, that is.

Damn you guys and giving me amp GAS. I guess that means I have to sell my Egnater TOL50 1x12 Combo.
:cry:

The OD sounded fizzy to me. It looked like it had GT power tubes....that's all I could see through the back grill.

Screamed how? 80's metal scream or thrash type scream?

easy 80's metal, but went into thrash with the OD808 in front. It sounded 100x better with a retube though, the tubes were at least 15 years old when he brought it out. I think they were GT too, but that has to be coincidence, I can't believe they would have been the stock tubes still.

• Members

easy 80's metal, but went into thrash with the OD808 in front. It sounded 100x better with a retube though, the tubes were at least 15 years old when he brought it out. I think they were GT too, but that has to be coincidence, I can't believe they would have been the stock tubes still.

Damn....I don't care for 80's metal........maybe I'll just buy it, re-tube it, and sell it here....if I don't like it? :thu:

I don't find that too hard to believe....my old Traynor YGL-3a had the stock Phillips tubes....power and pre. Same with my Marshall Jubilee Combo.....stock everything.

Maybe I'll have to try and talk them down to $300.:idea:

• Members

I don't see how you can lose really. They are rare for one thing, and how many other all tube high gain heads are you going to find under $350, even used. Make sure you PM me if you decide to sell it, if I have the extra funds, I would be interested. :thu:

• Members

I don't see how you can lose really. They are rare for one thing, and how many other all tube high gain heads are you going to find under $350, even used. Make sure you PM me if you decide to sell it, if I have the extra funds, I would be interested.

That's what I thought when I was in the shop last Saturday. I had them write up the slip for it even. Had my card out ready to pay....then I saw the Carvin X100B combo....and fell in love. Bought the Carvin instead. :love:

I really liked the cleans on the Randall.....that alone is worth the price.

I'm sort of a reformed metalhead....so I always welcome teh "brewtals" even though that's not something I need all of the time.

I will keep you in mind though......if I don't like it.

• Members

That's what I thought when I was in the shop last Saturday. I had them write up the slip for it even. Had my card out ready to pay....then I saw the Carvin X100B combo....and fell in love. Bought the Carvin instead.
:love:

I really liked the cleans on the Randall.....that alone is worth the price.

I'm sort of a reformed metalhead....so I always welcome teh "brewtals" even though that's not something I need all of the time.

I will keep you in mind though......if I don't like it.

yeah, I thought the cleans were really nice too. I was kind of shocked when I saw it, he said he thought it was a tube head, but wasn't sure. Got down there, and it was under a sheet. I had no idea Randall even made such an amp. Hooked it up to an old Fender cab he had, and she fired right up after 15 years, lol. I was actually impressed with the gain too, it's really not bad man. It was a little noisy as I remember, but it still sounded good. Put some fresh pres and power tubes in it, and you might be pleasantly surprised. If not, you could probably sell it pretty easy without losing much. With the low initial investment, something like that could also be a good candidate to send to Jerry or Trace I imagine too.

oh, congrats on the Carvin too man, always psyched when you find an amp you really dig. :thu:

Archived