Price check on aisle five, PRS Signature

Dark Angel

• Members

Does anyone have a feel for what these are actually worth nowadays? The only PRS Signatures I could find on the bay were stupid, almost 20K. Just 3 or 4 years ago I saw them selling for 4k-5k.

The reason I ask is if they are actually appreciating like that I need to work out a deal with my brother. The guitar is my dad's, and I take care of it (literally just sits in case).... but anyways I want it for sentimental reasons at some point. But {censored} me sideways if it is going to be worth 100K by the time I get it and I have to haggle with my brother over cash.

This guitar is stupid nice in case you all were wondering. I never appreciated it much growing up, but god damn if it isn't the sweetest thing I've ever heard. So warm.

• Members

Go on, take the money and run.

Keep the guitar. Does your brother know anything about it? Tell him you will give him half or whatever it sells for if you ever do sell it.

• Members

Keep the guitar. Does your brother know anything about it? Tell him you will give him half or whatever it sells for if you ever do sell it.

The problem is my brother is in the finance biz. To him, that's just wasted potential revenues.

Really, what I'm gonna do is try and set an option price on it... but I sure as {censored} don't want it to be 20K or more. If they are selling for 5k still, that's cool, and I'll cover that.

• Members

The problem is my brother is in the finance biz. To him, that's just wasted potential revenues.

Really, what I'm gonna do is try and set an option price on it... but I sure as {censored} don't want it to be 20K or more. If they are selling for 5k still, that's cool, and I'll cover that.

your brother is an asshole of the third degree, this is your FATHERS guitar and he wants to sell it---rather then keep it as a remembrance to your father?

wtf?!

• Members

your brother is an asshole of the third degree, this is your FATHERS guitar and he wants to sell it---rather then keep it as a remembrance to your father?

wtf?!

Oh right now, knowing it only cost 3k in 1990... he'd give it to me without thinking.

What I'm worried about is in 20 years. If they are pulling 20k now, then this will be like having a mint 1960 Les Paul today. We're gonna be talking about a plank worth as much as the house my parents die in. Worst case.

Best case would be a new wood is discovered that renders all mahogany/maple guitars inferior, and some genetically controlled figuring that actually replicates your thumbprint being en vogue.

What got me thinking about it was how it got through the last 6 months in the case and I went to pull it out to make sure she's breathing OK, and all I had to do was tweak the high E. Then I plugged it in and jammed for awhile before taking her apart and oiling, buffing, giving her new strings. I was just thinking man, I don't want my dad to die anytime soon, but {censored}... I really need a guitar like this. This one is seriously in another class.

• Members

Oh right now, knowing it only cost 3k in 1990... he'd give it to me without thinking.

What I'm worried about is in 20 years. If they are pulling 20k now, then this will be like having a mint 1960 Les Paul today. We're gonna be talking about a plank worth as much as the house my parents die in. Worst case.

Best case would be a new wood is discovered that renders all mahogany/maple guitars inferior, and some genetically controlled figuring that actually replicates your thumbprint being en vogue.

What got me thinking about it was how it got through the last 6 months in the case and I went to pull it out to make sure she's breathing OK, and all I had to do was tweak the high E. Then I plugged it in and jammed for awhile before taking her apart and oiling, buffing, giving her new strings. I was just thinking man, I don't want my dad to die anytime soon, but {censored}... I really need a guitar like this. This one is seriously in another class.

That's {censored}ed bro.

Murder/Suicide with your brother, and I hope your Dad either buries the guitar with him, or sells it for retirement money.

Sounds like neither one of your punk asses need it.

I would give the '63 SG away to my worst enemy before missing any time with my Dad. Guitars are just pieces of wood.

• Members

That's {censored}ed bro.

Murder/Suicide with your brother, and I hope your Dad either buries the guitar with him, or sells it for retirement money.

I would give the '63 SG away to my worst enemy before missing any time with my Dad. Guitars are just pieces of wood.

+1

• Members

That's {censored}ed bro.

You read that wrong.

I'm sitting there taking care of the guitar doing the semi-annual clean and think "Damn I want this so badly. OK, let's see what they're going for now. Maybe I can talk my dad into selling early, because he doesn't pay right now. 20k?! WTF? {censored}, by the time this guitar is eligible to be mine, it might be worth 10x that. {censored}. Is my brother gonna be down with ignoring the cash value if it's that much? Hmm, doubt it. Hell, let's see if anyone on HCAF is a PRS fan enough to have seen any actually sell recently."

I'm talking about establishing an option price with my brother, not a deal with devil for a sudden heart attack.

• Members

Tell your dad you want it now. Play it in front of him and make him cry sweet tears of joy with your awesome tone and playing, he will hand it over because his son is following in his footsteps. If not hes sure to give you it on death/via his will.

Then throw a brick at your brother for being a tool.

OR write a false will and push your dad down a flight of stairs.

then throw a brick at your brother anyway, just cause he sounds like he needs it.

Its your choice.

• Members

You read that wrong.

I'm sitting there taking care of the guitar doing the semi-annual clean and think "Damn I want this so badly. OK, let's see what they're going for now. Maybe I can talk my dad into selling early, because he doesn't pay right now. 20k?! WTF? {censored}, by the time this guitar is eligible to be mine, it might be worth 10x that. {censored}. Is my brother gonna be down with ignoring the cash value if it's that much? Hmm, doubt it. Hell, let's see if anyone on HCAF is a PRS fan enough to have seen any actually sell recently."

I'm talking about establishing an option price with my brother, not a deal with devil for a sudden heart attack.

Anytime offspring are worried about the value of their parent's possessions I want to vomit.

The thought of selling the '63 SG has never crossed my mind. In fact it will be handed down to my first child that plays guitar and is responsible enough to not hock it for thousands of dollars.

Money grubbing relatives/children are worthless scum. If it's such a sweet instrument, you wouldn't care what it was worth.

Archived