Any suggestions?

mrbrown49

• Members

? dont know whay but the song "killing time" reminded me "so f..cking special" (was it by rediohead?creep?) especially the first sections and the electric guitar playing chords.

The song has a nostalgic feel to it which is good to me.you seem to have atchived the sound in your mind suitable for the song, although its not my favourite genre.

apart from the above mentioned rediohead distraction which may be due to my ignorance nice mellow tune.

the chorus may also need some more work,especially the melody.

• Members

Overall I liked the song. As others have mentioned there is a nostalgic kind of feel going on. I think some of that has to do with the reverb drenched mix which appealed to me. On the other hand as the song progressed I became a bit annoyed at the sound of the synth pad that kept grinding on and on. I'd like to hear some variation there even if its a brief exit of that instrument from time to time. Nice guitar tone (telecaster?) although I kept expecting to hear some vibrato at some point, and I liked the slide break. Your vocal style fit the genre very well too sort of like a somnolent Ricky Nelson. Nice work.

No Lyrics posted?

• Members

I liked it. A lot of reverb, but I thought it worked in a Chris Isaak kind of way.

Originally posted by janusmanus

? dont know whay but the song "killing time" reminded me "so f..cking special" (was it by rediohead?creep?) especially the first sections and the electric guitar playing chords.

+1 on "Creep" by Radiohead

Originally posted by rhat

Its basically a slow dance type tune with a bobby sock and poodle skirt kinda feel. think the movie grease.

I think the word that rhat is looking for is Doo-Wop.

NPR has an interesting interview with Paul Simon (skip to ~5:00) in which he discusses his song "Another Galaxy" and talks about how a Doo-Wop chord progression can work in the modern world (Surprise released 2006) and with modern sounds (soundscapes by Brian Eno).

I am bringing this in because the juxtaposition of the contemporary (Radiohead) and the nostalgic (doo-wop, Ricky Nelson, etc.) is interesting, but I am not sure that was your intent. If you are going for a pure nostalgia trip, cut the intro. If you are going for an "Another Galaxy" kind of effect you might want to make the playing field a little more even by trimming back the reverb and adding some different sound sources in the main body of the song.

• Members

Interesting song man, definetely unlike anything I've heard in a while. I'm still not sure if I like the excessive reverb. I'm thinking perhaps have a vocal track with the reverb, but also double it with a non reverbed track. Just a thought. I love the guitar sound though, really atmospheric. Good work overall.

And yes, definetely Creep by Radiohead there. :D

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions. I am experimenting with some different vocal mixes and dropping the organ in parts. I think dropping the organ out in parts, even if not entirly, gives your ears a break.

Tele? No, but thats the sound I wanted when i was recording it. Its an ibanez artist through an ampeg with a bit of amp reverb and a touch of tremelo.

Thanks again!

• Members

mrbrown, Killing Time

Very nice song composition.

The nostalgic feel is much like Roy Orboson for me.

Soothing melodic vocals.

Very nice less is more slide solo.

I won't comment on production as i got cheap speakers here, song content is great.

You should be proud of this one.

One crit might be the songs length 6:40 is a bit long but it worked for me.

Toasted Head

Archived