Just ordered a Blackheart little giant....

311thewiser

• Members

from Musiciansfriend a day ago, so I am considering ordering some tubes for it. Maybe people say a tube upgrade is almost neccesary(spelling its bad i know). Does anyone have suggestion on which kind. This is my first tube amp.

You must have gotten the combe. That's the only one in stock. Anyway, I tried a number of power and preamp tubes in mine and the differences were very slight.

Tried Ei, JJ, and EH power tubes. And Tungsol, EH, 9th Gen Chinese, and an old Sylvania for preamp.

• Members

the how to you explain the increased headroom?

There isn't any. Headroom comes from the power section. Just because you can suddenly turn the volume to 5 before it gets dirty instead of 4 doesn't mean you are actually getting more clean volume. The lower gain preamp just sends a lower signal the the power section so you have to turn the volume knob a little higher to get the same amount of signal there.

• Members

from Musiciansfriend a day ago, so I am considering ordering some tubes for it. Maybe people say a tube upgrade is almost neccesary(spelling its bad i know). Does anyone have suggestion on which kind. This is my first tube amp.

If its your first tube amp just leave it alone and play it until about a year has gone by, then get a new tube. The amp as delivered will sound great compared to whatever you had before.

• Members
I am gonna play it as is for a while, but i couldnt resist the urge and bought a JJ high gain 12ax7 and a Sovtek el84 just to play around with it.

Ya, I'd definitely try and find the highest gain pre tube possible. As for the power tube, Sovtek isn't really know for their musical EL84s.

Archived