AxeFx WTF!?

v_c

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK, I'm looking on the back pannel....where's the flippin' USB port? I don't even see where you can insert a card or anything. It's like it's a clear clean pathway right into toneland! You can't even hook up a printer cable to it either! Or a monitor! Piece of crap. I'll email Jeff at Genz-Benz and see if this thing can be upgraded.

wtf, my appleII/e has more connectivity than your.. thingy.

yeha i think you need to sell it and get something better.

• Members

I have an Axe-FX. Doubtless I have had it longer than most posters anywhere have... Most, not all though. I have used it in countless situations and I am a believer in it. It without a doubt is my most loved piece of gear.

I have never had one or even three amps that can do what this preamp does. It does have the tone in spades and anyone that is offering an opinion on it that hasn't played it or spent significant time with one is purely full of crap.

• Members

It does have the tone in spades and anyone that is offering an opinion on it that hasn't played it or spent significant time with one is purely full of crap.

It does seem that all the haters haven't actually played one in person doesn't it? I personally think from what I've heard that it sounds excellent (in the right hands at least), and I'm still seriously contemplating buying one.

• Members
I don't know? I use a Pod 2.0, BTW.

I've played some of your amps. Never once thought I was qualified to offer an opinion on them. Although I loved the ones I heard. I didn't live with them, so my take is mostly useless.

I do know, that if I owned one, I wouldn't let a {censored}ing pod anywhere near it. :mad:.... that's just me.

Guest Anonymous

What sells me on the Axe-FX;

1. Buy any amp and there is only so far you can go with it, all the axe-fx controls in mid position is equivalent to the whole amp maxed on all controls. With the axe-fx, you have more active control, where you can turn the bass, for example, even further than you could on the actual amp itself.

2. For me to be happy w/ Analog equip. I would hace to buy the following heads; Mako Mak2, Rivera KR-7, Mesa Mark III or IV, Randall Cyclone, V2, RG100ES, Crate GX130C, VHT UL, etc. Then a 4x12 EV loaded cab, rack stuff like a parametric EQ, hush units, drive pedals etc. THEN, mics like an MD421 to mic it into a recorder. With this list so far, I am up into about 12,000 dollars and seriously where the f*ck am I going to put all of this sh*t as well as where am I going to be able to crank the stuff up. AND if I could crank it, imagine trying to record some tracks without going deaf, just for a simple hobby of amateur recording. It's Silly.

3. Axe-Fx-->recorder and headphones maybe a couple of monitor speakers = DONE

4. The Axe-FX is Digital circuitry, but when you get down to it, an amp is also circuitry, just different type of routing (analog). WTF is the difference?? Tubes are not made by magical fairies in the woods and blessed by secret Dragon Ball hair.

I'll repeat myself.

Guest Anonymous
A 2GHz Core 2 Duo is like under 100 bucks, and a 3GHz isn't much more. 'moar raw compute power' my ass
:cop:

AxeFx is a couple of off-teh-shelf A/D convertors, a crappy $10 processor, and some algorithms. For nearly $2000
:confused:

And a stupid ass waiting list, to hype up the thing for teh idots. If you can't make em quick enough, just sell me teh algorithms for $100 on a CD and we'll see how 'revolutionary' they are compared to Amplitube or some such
:cop:

You are ghey and now on my ignore list. Thanks!

• Members

What compels people to bag on gear that they've no interest in, that they've never touched? For the life of me, I can't understand why people insist on acting a fool.

Boredom, jealousy, mental disorders, too much time playing WoW. That's the short list.

• Members
Wow...I'm surprised that no one has really set the record straight here. I wish Cliff would come in here and tear the OP (and all the complete idiots that are agreeing with him) a new one, but he won't because he's a professional. I would be glad to do the job for him. The AxeFX does not run on a standard x86 instruction set type PC processor. It's MHz rating has very little to do with it's speed. It's a TigerSHARC processor, not a Pentium, you {censored}tard. It has a COMPLETELY different architecture. As far as DSP stuff goes, it would {censored}ing completely obliterate your Core2Duo running at 3ghz per side. It's specifically created to execute DSP algorithms at incredibly high speeds. I know exactly how much the processor in the AxeFX costs, and lets just say it MUCH more than the $10 you think it is. 30 times more. Then there's all the other hardware in there, not to mention YEARS of programming hours that Cliff spent creating it. So, v_c, next time you decide that you want to talk about something that you have absolutely NO idea about, do yourself and all of us a favor and keep your {censored}ing man pleaser shut. K?

Thanks for slapping the n00bs around Joe, damn nice job :thu:

• Members

No comparison to PC cpu - it's special purpose for DSP. Special architecture, special instruction set. Smokes a PC cpu for DSP applications.

Modern PC processors outperform TigerSHARC like DSP chips in every application. But that's not the point. TigerSHARC processor does not require a huge power supple and a big ass heat sink and a fan on it making a whoooosh noise that would drive people crazy.

Also, I would guess for your normal DSP related functions like Fourier transforms TigerSHARC is really much more easier to work with.

Archived