NGD (sort of) PICS! Super Strat Content!

exposeenmity

• Members

Got this '97 Jackson PC-1 about a month ago, but took it into the shop after only two days of having it. It had some major fret buzz and notes where fretting out. Didn't care for the service I got, but a month later and I have it back. I'm thinking about changing out the electronics. I know I'm changing the bridge pickup, it doesn't sound right at all. Through both my Laney and my Groove Tubes, it has a very fizzy/fuzzy sound quality to it. I can't eq it out, lower gain on the amp doesn't help, rolling the volume on the guitar back doesn't do it, etc. I plugged in my LTD and it sounds great; it has a Duncan Designed pup no less! Not exactly sure what I want to drop in here though.

The sustainer system is kind of cool, but don't think I'll get much use out of it. Even more so true for the pinch harmonic feature this has; the switch closest to the floyd. Has an 18v battery box, so I could put actives in, but I think I'm going to go with a good high output passive.

IMG_3117_2.jpg

IMG_3118_2.jpg

IMG_3103_2.jpg

IMG_3104_2.jpg

IMG_3114_2.jpg

• Members

Unfortunately no. The mini toggle farthest right is to activate the sustainer, the one near the floyd is to activate the pinch harmonic effect; which actually works, but I have no problem with pinch harmonics. The more I used this switch I realized it's more along the lines of controlled feedback if that makes sense.

But at least if I swap out the pups I have two mini toggle spaces to do a coil splitter for the bridge and any other feature I want. Man, decisions, decisions. This was the greatest guitar I had ever played, until I played Ans's Caparison Dellinger. That is going to be my next one, period. I'm keeping this one for a while though.

One thing I though was really neat, was when you hold it up in the light, you can actually see lines in the lacquer from the grain of the top! I had never seen that before; but never really looked for it either.

If you sell it, you'll let me know first. K? K.

• Members

I always thought they were sweet guits, though i've never played one. So are the buzzing, etc issues taken care of by the setup (a month is a damn long time for a setup - it better be perfect)? What did they do to it-? adjustments on the nut, truss, etc or did it need fret work and whatnot?

Make sure the electronics were not messed with too, just to be sure.

Also about the sustainer- how do those things work? Are they wired to the bridge pickup or what? I don't get it and I'm too lazy to google it.

• Members
If you sell it, you'll let me know first. K? K.

lol, sure. Guess you're first in line. Might be a long ass wait though. :lol: I think once I get a set of pups that I like, I'll like this guitar that much more. It plays like a dream. Think of the neck as a cross between a Fender and a Jackson in terms of playability and shape. It has a nice curvature at the nut and flattens out nicely towards the bridge.

• Members

Don't you DARE mod that beautiful piece of wood.

I'd only be changing the electronics, there will be no modification to any other part of this beauty you can count on that. Besides, if I do ever decide to sell, I'll just put the original electronics back in.

• Members

damn looks like that guit needed A LOT of work to get back to form- i hope all of that was disclosed before the sale- thanks for the info on the sustainer. I need to get myself a superstrat, but not in the near future cause I just bought a bunch of crap (well, expensive crap lol). I'll have to check these out when the time comes.

• Members

damn looks like that guit needed A LOT of work to get back to form- i hope all of that was disclosed before the sale- thanks for the info on the sustainer. I need to get myself a superstrat, but not in the near future cause I just bought a bunch of crap (well, expensive crap lol). I'll have to check these out when the time comes.

I highly suggest them. Unfortunately, nothing was mentioned about any of the issues. Of course, it's totally possible that the previous owner didn't know anything about the wiring. When I buy a guitar, I expect to have to take it to a tech to get setup properly, frets leveled, etc, so I wasn't upset.

• Members

Wow, great pictures and beautiful guitar. Happy New Gear Day/Week/Month/whatever! hehe

Even more so true for the pinch harmonic feature this has; the switch closest to the floyd.

Please tell me more about this. I've only asked a few people to explain pinch harmonics to me and both of them acted like it was an issue of national security or something. All I know is that I've tried to watch closely when someone does one and I can't get the hang of it. So if there is an addon out there somewhere that I can use a momentary switch on, bring it!

• Members

Wow, great pictures and beautiful guitar. Happy New Gear Day/Week/Month/whatever! hehe

Please tell me more about this. I've only asked a few people to explain pinch harmonics to me and both of them acted like it was an issue of national security or something. All I know is that I've tried to watch closely when someone does one and I can't get the hang of it. So if there is an addon out there somewhere that I can use a momentary switch on, bring it!

There's nothing really special to pinch harmonics. All that is going on is part of your thumb touches/grazes the string when you pluck it, almost like pinching it between the pick and your thumb, and if don't properly will produce a higher pitch artificial squeal.

• Members

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought you meant the switch closest to the Floyd had something to do with pinch harmonics. I thought maybe someone found a way to cheat and do it electronically using a momentary switch.

• Members

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought you meant the switch closest to the Floyd had something to do with pinch harmonics. I thought maybe someone found a way to cheat and do it electronically using a momentary switch.

No, that's exactly what it does.

• Members

If I could have any production signature model, it would be a PC, either floyd or string through.

I love 'em, and envy you with every fiber in my body.

As for replacing the bridge, what kind of tone do you like as far and low/mid/high ranges go? Because if you just want high output, the PC-1, to my knowledge, comes with one of their highest output pickups (certainly the highest DC resistance), the Super 3. As far as Dimarizo and Duncan both make, you'll only find maybe 2 or 3 pups with more output per brand, and they aren't necessarily better.
The Super 3 is pretty bass/mids prominent, with an slight even, maybe rolled off high end tone signature. If it's too Fuzzy for you now, I would probably liike to putting a lower output pickup in there myself.

*edit* Dimarzio options I might recommend, Norton, and Breed Bridge; similar tone, but a lower output should get rid of the fuzzies.

Archived