YET ANOTHER CLIP!!!1 OMFG MORE TOANZ!1

mparsons

• Members

not as good as Schuldiner's take on it :cop:

But seriously, I think your tone is definitely getting better but it still needs more oomph ya know. More grit. Maybe upping the presence? I dunno. It's definitely the best yet though. Does it sound like it sounds in the room, or does it sound better/worse/different?

• Members
not as good as Schuldiner's take on it
:cop:

But seriously, I think your tone is definitely getting better but it still needs more oomph ya know. More grit. Maybe upping the presence? I dunno. It's definitely the best yet though. Does it sound like it sounds in the room, or does it sound better/worse/different?

It sounds MUCH better in the room. I've got a new mic coming, Sennheiser e906. I'm hoping it'll more accurately capture the room sound. All the reviews I've read comparing it to the SM57 have said its got more balls and more presence, which is exactly what my tone needs.

And come on... The only person that can do the Painkiller better than Schuldiner is Halford himself. There needs to be more vocals like that. I'm trying to extend my range up there but its HARD to get consistent pitch tone and volume.

• Members

I liked the Tung Sols the best. They had the brightest response and the best note separation for chords.

Nice job!!! Priest Rules!

TungSols + Engl = Killer.

You couldn't get this sound from the Fireball eh?

• Members
I've seen that video, its pretty useful but the dude has a lot of bizarre opinions about pickups.

I didn't watch the part about pickups; what I found most informative were his demonstrations of the SM57 at all of the different positions. I haven't made another attempt at close miking since watching the vid but I imagine when I do I'll be taking that into account.

FWIW, I don't think the SM57 is responsible for the sound; the SM57 and the e906 are different but I wouldn't say one is better than the other. Plenty of people here (and on studio records) get great recordings from a single SM57... though not me :cry: ...yet :evil:

But the two in combo does seem to work rather well for a lot of people so as long as you can deal with the phasing issues I'd say that's a good possibility.

• Members
On both channels?
:eek:
You must live in the middle of nowhere to be able to record so loud. Unless you live at your practice space
:cop:

I didn't watch the part about pickups; what I found most informative were his demonstrations of the SM57 at all of the different positions. I haven't made another attempt at close miking since watching the vid but I imagine when I do I'll be taking that into account.

FWIW, I don't think the SM57 is responsible for the sound; the SM57 and the e906 are different but I wouldn't say one is better than the other. Plenty of people here (and on studio records) get great recordings from a single SM57... though not me
:cry:
...yet
:evil:

But the two in combo does seem to work rather well for a lot of people so as long as you can deal with the phasing issues I'd say that's a good possibility.

Only one channel. It's in low power mode too, so its not knocking the walls down, but its still pretty damn loud.

Here's my theory as to why a new mic might help me: The SM57 works GREAT with a V30 type speaker. The 57 has a smoothing effect in the high mids and presence regions that compliment the upper mid bump on the V30. However, I'm micing a CL80, which is already a bit smoother than the V30. So the mic is smoothing out an already smooth source, making it sound dull/flat/muffled. I've heard the e906 has a lot more body and edge to the sound, which will be perfect. I think a dual micing set up with the e906 and the SM57 will get me the best tone.

{censored} yeah! Very cool!!!

sounds pretty good.

Thanks! Once the e906 comes in I'll have a ton of new clips with experiments on placement, mixing, etc.

Archived