NEW AMP!!!

soundfx444

• Members

hey im gettin a new amp and i was wondering how the fender frontman 212r is, i play rock blues, and some metal i have a budget of 350$ and i would like to buy new and i dont have to many shops where i live so its hard to try out some stuff, if this amp isnt good wat do you suggest and none of tht solid is sh** you dont NEED tubes for good sound. THNKS

• Members

Also, what are you going to use it for? At that price you can get a very decent small tube amp combo - although you are not really looking for tubes, you can still afford something nice.

There are tube amps ranging from 5 to about 20watts that would be enough for practice to jamming.

Vox and Randall make SS amps that I am sure will please you. Vox has the closest reproduction to tubes IMO, and Randall has the beefier metal sound. Vox can also achieve that sound with an EQ pedal.

-D

• Members

i need it for small gigs but it needs to be able to stay clean and be loud enough with a drummer it will also be used for practice at home

Okay, yeah... Vox might not be loud enough if you are playing with a LOUD drummer. I recommend 100W 2x12 solid state. Lemme do another search.

-D

• Members

If you like Ibanez:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-TBX150R-Tone-Blaster-Xtreme-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480945

I have owned a bunch of tube amps (look sig), and I was surprised with the nice tone from this one - gain is as metal as you want it, and clean is decent.

Or if you can spend an extra $50 this tube combo will be plenty:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V50112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487054

Nice gain here, super nice gain with a boost, but fine without. Clean is fender-ish and can get sparkly + spanky if you dial it in. 50Watt tube power will get you plenty of clean headroom with your drummer. You can even upgrade your speaker to a vintage30 or a Eminence Govner later on. This will also boost your volume level some. Adding a 2x12 here will make this amp sound very big.

-D

• Members

I recommend a peavey valveking 112. All tube, 50 watts, good cleans , decent distortion. It's a bit more money new, but used, well within your budget. I bought one for 250 on ebay in like new condition. Also in this range, peavey classic 30.

Archived