OT-This Kinda Creeps me out, Doomsday Collider.

Chrisjd

• Members

So lots of scientists working on it say it's fine and people not related to the project say it sounds scary and they theorize it might destroy the earth?

Riiiiiiight. Wonder who I'll believe.

I know what you mean, but I feel as though a lot of scientists become so overwhelmed with the idea of being a part of some new and groundbreaking discovery that they may overlook the potential consequences more than they should.

• Members

This guy is a nut case. Simple sideshow freak here people, nothing new to see. Move on.

He's done it before, and he'll do it again, and he's in with the same type people that said the first atomic bomb blast was going to start a chain reaction that would light the entire atmosphere ablaze.

• Members

Sorry if this has already been posted. This is an interesting article about a machine that will "turn on" in August. Pushing the boundaries of science again.
:cop:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/30/doomsdaycollider.ap/index.html

The LHC is badass. Its not just 'a machine' but I don't really want to explain all of that. The whole article and the name of the article sucks ass.

You would think CNN wouldn't have douchebags writing for them but they do apparently.:rolleyes:

• Members

I know what you mean, but I feel as though a lot of scientists become so overwhelmed with the idea of being a part of some new and groundbreaking discovery that they may overlook the potential consequences more than they should.

Let me guess. Christian?

• Members

BTW, to create a black hole the particle collider would literally have to span the entire solar system, so no need to worry for a few centuries.
:wave:

No no no. Don't bother with the details. ITS A DOOOOOOMSDAY MACHINE. :eek:

• Members

Let me guess. Christian?

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with it, I definetely am gratefull for modern sciences etc.

I guess I am just ignorant about this. i saw it on the front page of CNN and it seemed like a pretty big, important event.:eek:

• Members

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with it, I definetely am gratefull for modern sciences etc.

I guess I am just ignorant about this. i saw it on the front page of CNN and it seemed like a pretty big, important event.

Welp. I really suggest you start paying attention to science. That machine is one of the greatest achievements of man kind. It took like 5 countries working together to make it with the worlds top scientific minds.

The reason why I guessed you were christian is because you said you don't trust scientists which is fine and all but thats Creationist rhetoric. As if all scientists are the same? Dude scientists are people that want to learn more about the universe, not some monomaniacal evil henchmen.

• Members

This is possible, however, I don't think it's an issue. Yes, I'm a scientist. /thread.

• Members

The reason why I guessed you were christian is because you said you don't trust scientists which is fine and all but thats Creationist rhetoric.

:rolleyes: way to derail this thread on page one... not trusting all scientists != creationist.

btw im not religious before you try to take that route with me

• Members

:rolleyes:
way to derail this thread on page one... not trusting all scientists != creationist.

btw im not religious before you try to take that route with me

lets not mix words, creationists are out to discredit science right now, its true and its horrible:mad:

• Members

lets not mix words, creationists are out to discredit science right now, its true and its horrible:mad:

i agree but that doesnt really belong in this discussion. there are plenty of other ways to deal with people who dont trust the evil scientists... like telling them that "god" or whatever controls the laws of nature already makes events far more powerful than we could ever hope to create in our own atmosphere on a fairly regular basis with no ill effects :cop:

god must love em if we're still here :cop::o

• Members

So lots of scientists working on it say it's fine and people not related to the project say it sounds scary and they theorize it might destroy the earth?

Riiiiiiight. Wonder who I'll believe.

Dude..have you not read any super-hero or science fiction books? There's bound to be some parallel universe episode or at the very least a megalomaniacal mutant created by this machine :lol:

• Members

Sigh...here we go again. There is one kind of person that thinks this thing will destroy the earth: the uneducated about it. Too many idiots with no understanding want to be the first to announce the end of the world. It's not going to happen. Here...read an article from someone who knows what they are talking about:

http://www.physorg.com/news133845034.html

• Members

BTW, to create a black hole the particle collider would literally have to span the entire solar system, so no need to worry for a few centuries.
:wave:

Also not true. Where did you get that info from? It's very likely that this collider will create micro black holes. The reason that they won't harm us is that they will evaporate via Hawking radiation before they can gain mass.

Archived