I found the tape with the first few songs I wrote after learning to play.....

tamoore

• Members

Funny stuff....

This song was written in or about 1986 about a girlfriend I had who was leaving for a six month trip to Germany...... We were really close, and I'd probably be married to her if she hadn't gone on the trip...... Something happened to us each by the time she got back, and the relationship ended...But that's neither here nor there..:o

The lyrics are all trite and cliche, but the interesting thing about finding this tune is that I can hear that it has a lot of my style in it, that I must have started to develop 20 years ago..... The melody and harmony sound a lot like the stuff I would come up with today, to me anyway....

After I wrote this, I think I wrote only two more songs in the next 18 years, neither of them I can remember in any detail. My band played one, and it was a punk type tune called 'Christeen'...

Of technological interest, this song was recorded on two 'boom box' cassette decks that had recording inputs on them.. I'd sing and record one guitar part on a tape, then put that tape into the second cassette player and mix it back together while I was playing another part and singing harmony... I think I had a little radio shack 4 channel mixer thing at the time too.. Not sure how I used that...

I might re-record this one while I'm off work recovering..... The wife doesn't seem too pissed off about it....

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5604671&q=hi

:wave:

• Members

A dinosaur stepped on mine.

But I do have a song I have had a cut on my 4 track in 1982 on my Soundclick page for a while now.

Actually the Mini-Moog part was cut at my local community college and vox were done at my house. The drum machine, such as it was, was the original Dr Rhythm, which had a hi hat that had tree positions: off, eighths, sixteenths. Because the snare was particularly anemic I recorded the basic drum track at 15 ips and then recorded everything else at 7-1/2 ips, effectively dropping the pitch of the d.m. by an octave -- and, of course, slowing it down by half.

I'm back from listening to "Laura"... Well... you've certainly come a long way... but it's got a real boy-songwriter-nextdoor charm. And I'll tell you this straight up -- your self-harmonies way back then are a lot better than mine are today. ;)

I had -- strike that, have -- one of those little RS mixers, too. I used it as part of my "band-in-a-bag" rig (this was in the first half of the 80s before I'd ever heard of the software, if it even existed, which might be possible since I think it started on the Amiga or Atari)... we had a little holiday songwriting festival and since only a handful of us had 4 tracks, I'd pass around my RS PZM mics and that mixer and the happy recipients would use it with two regular cassette machines (as long as one had MIC INs) to do their bounces. It actually worked pretty well. I recorded a few punk bands with the little rig and, you know, a couple PZMs on the floor out in front of the band usually captured the instruments pretty well then I'd have them go back and do vocals... usually using their PA but set up so it would record well, giving them a supposedly optimal live sound.

• Members

I tried to download your song, Blue2, it didn't work... This laptop I'm on has a problem with downloading, I think - however, CM's tune did work the other day....

Thanks for the story..... I wish I had invested more time into recording back then..... ;)

I'll try to get that tune working yet......

• Members

tamoore, your track was cool. Definite 60s vibe happening which is absent from your present work. B2B, I enjoyed your cool track (I just happened to download some Chrome off of emusic so your track seems to fit my frame of mind).

• Members

The whole thing sounds like the faux-awful intro to "Goodbye" (stuffs old 4-track tapes back into shoebox).:eek:

On the upside, it made me go back and listen to Goodbye, which, after the intro is over, turns into a really great song.

Archived